PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Silver is at it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
so one person telling a reporter that there is a "disconnect" and "wants a new deal" is evidence. I guess technally hearsay is a type of evidence.

Given that "hearsay" (so long as it falls under the correct category) can be used to send a person to his/her death, I'd say it qualifies as evidence, and so would dictionaries and law dictionaries.

Again, and obviously, I have no problem with eviscerating people over incorrect facts.

All the bagging on Silver, and Brady's giving him an interview.

Patriots' Brady gets down to business - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

And your point being?

Even you can't be so ignorant and crontrarian that you can't acknowledge that Brady refusing to give an interview to a "reporter"(and I am using this term loosely) does more damage than sitting down with Silver and answering a few questions that he is going to spin a certain way no matter what the response or intent or context is would do.

Given that "hearsay" (so long as it falls under the correct category) can be used to send a person to his/her death, I'd say it qualifies as evidence, and so would dictionaries and law dictionaries.

Again, and obviously, I have no problem with eviscerating people over incorrect facts.

So long as those facts aren't your own.

And your point being?

Even you can't be so ignorant and crontrarian that you can't acknowledge that Brady refusing to give an interview to a "reporter"(and I am using this term loosely) does more damage than sitting down with Silver and answering a few questions that he is going to spin a certain way no matter what the response or intent or context is would do.

That's the silliest thing I've seen written online today. Congratulations!

A simple interview with any other reporter on the planet, where he says "Silver was making that stuff up, and I'll never again have any contact with Silver since he's a liar", and the story would have been dead, along with Silver's career, unless Silver could have produced that friend.

Last edited:
in this world where "reporters" ARE making up stories using "unnamed sources" and "friends" it's very nieve to just accept it as fact.

in this world where "reporters" ARE making up stories using "unnamed sources" and "friends" it's very nieve to just accept it as fact.

Every walk of life has people that take shortcuts. One could just as easily argue that, in this world where food preparers ARE selling tainted food, it's silly to buy anything you eat.

Every walk of life has people that take shortcuts. One could just as easily argue that, in this world where food preparers ARE selling tainted food, it's silly to buy anything you eat.

NOW I see how you are the measure of ridiculous mentality. Have a nice day.

you can make that arguemrnt at the same timeif you came across the same place that does the same thing would you stil trust that.

that where reporting is now you don't trust it and for the record i only go to have prepared food at places i trust

NOW I see how you are the measure of ridiculous mentality. Have a nice day.

Claiming it's naive to accept the report because some other guys have been busted making things up is a "ridiculous mentality", and I was using absurdity to highlight absurdity.

And you have a nice day too.

you can make that arguemrnt at the same timeif you came across the same place that does the same thing would you stil trust that.

that where reporting is now you don't trust it and for the record i only go to have prepared food at places i trust

I'm sorry, but I can't make out what you're trying to say with that first sentence.

I prefer to focus on what the player said, I will not accept unnamed sources or certainly friends as gospel.../QUOTE]

I agree. Unnamed sources prefer to be unnamed for a reason. Many have an agenda that advances their own interests. Whether it's "evidence" or not, I would regard it as unreliable.

As for Silver, he says that Brady would not comment on his contract status and then goes on to state:

"Brady, after taking a below-market deal in 2005, wants to be compensated at a level befitting his status as one of the NFL’s two best players."​

How does he know this to be true if Brady declined comment?

Silver's coverage of this issue has been a hodgepdge of fact, speculation, rumor and innuendo. It's a sexier story if Brady is fed up with the Patriots, so it's human nature for Silver to see indications of "disconnect" that a more objective observer might readily dismiss. His treatment of the Kraft quotes is a great example.

There's a difference between killing the messenger and disregarding rumor mongering and sensationalism.

Last edited:
to Deus

what i was saying was that you implied you shouldn't trust food workers because of a few that do bad things. I countered with that if you knew of a place that consistently did bad things you would stop trusting that.

Well that is where reporting is they use "unnamed sources" and then they take those unnamed sources and make up the rest of it. and like zeus said Brady and Welker never said anything about a "disconnect" and "wanting a new contract". Silver heard (or made it up we'll never know) and then carried as far as he wanted to get his and make his point.
For that yes we should "shoot the messanger" cause he is also the message sender

Last edited:
That's the silliest thing I've seen written online today. Congratulations!

A simple interview with any other reporter on the planet, where he says "Silver was making that stuff up, and I'll never again have any contact with Silver since he's a liar", and the story would have been dead, along with Silver's career, unless Silver could have produced that friend.

You call my post silly and you come back with this garbage?

Do you actually believe that would be the end of Silver? Really? That is even sillier than my naive assessment!

Brady doing what you suggest would cause a conflagration against the team and Brady that would make anything Silver could possibly come up with from his five minutes of awkward answers with Brady seem like a match in a thunderstorm- blown out fast and quickly forgotten. :rolleyes:

Athletes have to endure interviews with morons who have clear hatred for them day in and day out for the simple fact that refusing to do an interview with someone would do more PR harm than good.

to Deus

what i was saying was that you implied you shouldn't trust food workers because of a few that do bad things. I countered with that if you knew of a place that consistently did bad things you would stop trusting that.

Where's the evidence that Silver's columns have consistently been made up with false sources?

Well that is where reporting is they use "unnamed sources" and then they take those unnamed sources and make up the rest of it. and like zeus said Brady and Welker never said anything about a "disconnect" and "wanting a new contract". Silver heard (or made it up we'll never know) and then carried as far as he wanted to get his and make his point.
For that yes we should "shoot the messanger" cause he is also the message sender

First, reporters use unnamed sources all the time. That doesn't make a story wrong. Second, you're claiming that the 'rest of it' was made up, but you have no evidence of that.

People here have been shooting the messenger over everything. It has nothing to do with the "message sender". It's been all about silencing any hint that not everything is 100% peachy with the Patriots.

You call my post silly and you come back with this garbage?

Do you actually believe that would be the end of Silver? Really? That is even sillier than my naive assessment!

Silver writes a football column. Being "caught" lying about a football issue with a player he's traditionally been favored by would likely end that career, yes.

Brady doing what you suggest would cause a conflagration against the team and Brady that would make anything Silver could possibly come up with from his five minutes of awkward answers with Brady seem like a match in a thunderstorm- blown out fast and quickly forgotten. :rolleyes:

Athletes have to endure interviews with morons who have clear hatred for them day in and day out for the simple fact that refusing to do an interview with someone would do more PR harm than good.

Thanks for this. It kicks your earlier post out of the "silliest of the day" position and takes its place.

Last edited:
I know it's not nice to wish for someone to get hit by a bus :eek:

But, if it would prevent me from having to waste precious moments of my own "likely" short life by getting lured into clicking and reading such crap, let's just say...... I wouldn't complain. :cool:

My biggest problems with Silver recently have been:

1.) Editing Kraft's quote of both sides wanting to get a deal done into something that Kraft doubts that a deal would get done which is not something Kraft had said.
2.) Using an unnamed "friend" to say inflamatory things about the Pats and Welker in a puff piece about Welker's return. I have never seen anyone ever try to twist a story like this to make people look bad. For any story, you can find someone who will say something inflamatory like that, but that quote served no purpose other than to cast a shadow on Welker's reason for returning so quickly just to get a new deal and the Pats motives to replace Welker where there is no evidence of either.

Both these are examples of a person with an agenda who wants to make headlines for himself. Both are examples of some of the lowest versions of journalism that at one time used to be only used by the gossip rags. Unfortunately, "legitimate" journalists now use it more regularly.

My biggest problems with Silver recently have been:

1.) Editing Kraft's quote of both sides wanting to get a deal done into something that Kraft doubts that a deal would get done which is not something Kraft had said.

You've taken that situation and blown it far out of proportion, and Kraft's comment did note a "need" (I don't have the exact quote in front of me, but it was about compromise or understanding or something. I'm sure you can remember the general idea of what I'm referring to) for the deal to be made. I understand your position on using the quotes, but you're arguing against the entire history of journalism, including the so-called 'best'. They've all done it.

2.) Using an unnamed "friend" to say inflamatory things about the Pats and Welker in a puff piece about Welker's return. I have never seen anyone ever try to twist a story like this to make people look bad. For any story, you can find someone who will say something inflamatory like that, but that quote served no purpose other than to cast a shadow on Welker's reason for returning so quickly just to get a new deal and the Pats motives to replace Welker where there is no evidence of either.

You're here making claims about motive, when you've got no evidence. Again, Silver claims a source. Also, again, not naming sources is an accepted journalism tactic.

Both these are examples of a person with an agenda who wants to make headlines for himself. Both are examples of some of the lowest versions of journalism that at one time used to be only used by the gossip rags. Unfortunately, "legitimate" journalists now use it more regularly.

They are also examples of a person doing his job in a thorough and acceptable manner, but you keep ignoring that, because you're making an assumption that the story is incorrect.

Last edited:
Where's the evidence that Silver's columns have consistently been made up with false sources?

First, reporters use unnamed sources all the time. That doesn't make a story wrong. Second, you're claiming that the 'rest of it' was made up, but you have no evidence of that.

People here have been shooting the messenger over everything. It has nothing to do with the "message sender". It's been all about silencing any hint that not everything is 100% peachy with the Patriots.

Not one person here has said everything is "100% peachy" with the Patriots. And I have notsaid Silver "consistenly made up with false sources" i am taking about the Brady "disconnect" and Welker "Wanting a new deal" columns.

He assumed there was a "disconnect" by out of contexting Robert Kraft Quotes (which is a fact) and by Brady not talking

He talk to a Welker "friend" ON ANOTHER TEAM that said he wanted a new deal. and implyed that he rushed back cause "Edelman was there to replace him" and that is in the column

We all know that Brady is in the last year of his deal and we all know he wants a new contract we all expect it to get done. If there was a "disconnect" we would deal with that and not "silence" it but other then his article and the ones other people played off of it there is nothing else to imply a "disconnect" so why should we not rip him for what has to this point been something not true

I know a friend of Michael Silver's who says Silver likes to dress in womens clothes.

Allegedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back