Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you think Mallett will ever start a game for the Pats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, thanks to both of you guys above for clearing that up.

Yeah, looks like the Pats will have some decision making at the latest in 4 years.

As my screenname indicates, I'd prefer to have Brady here for as long as possible. I take him at his word that he wants to play another decade, and I actually have no doubt he could be effective past 40. It's not like athleticism was ever a factor in his play. His strengths will be strengths into the twilight of his career, and to this point, he's actually still improving - scary thought.

But I also think that comparing Mallet to O'Connell as some have done above is off the mark. Outside of the off-the-field stuff, Mallet might've been the best all-around QB in the draft, and has a lot of the traits the Pats look for in QBs. So I think this is more than BB just taking a flier on a guy like he did with O'Connell. Mallet has a real upside.

Last edited:
OK, thanks to both of you guys above for clearing that up.

Yeah, looks like the Pats will have some decision making at the latest in 4 years.

As my screenname indicates, I'd prefer to have Brady here for as long as possible. I take him at his word that he wants to play another decade, and I actually have no doubt he could be effective past 40. It's not like athleticism was ever a factor in his play. His strengths will be strengths into the twilight of his career, and to this point, he's actually still improving - scary thought.

But I also think that comparing Mallet to O'Connell as some have done above is off the mark. Outside of the off-the-field stuff, Mallet might've been the best all-around QB in the draft, and has a lot of the traits the Pats look for in QBs. So I think this is more than BB just taking a flier on a guy like he did with O'Connell. Mallet has a real upside.

I agree. Brady's style of play definitely lends itself to a long career. I think he could play until 40 on a well built team that suits his strengths, and I don't think BB could imagine a QB with a skillset he'd take over Brady's (minimal turnovers, ball-control offense, efficiency in redzone).

So what's to be done with Mallett? Best case, he flashes enough in pre-season and garbage/injury time to entice some team into a Cassel/Shaub/Kolb type deal or better. I don't know how his arm and personality lend themselves to our small-ball style of play, but maybe he looks good throwing some deep balls when teams aren't expecting it. In the mean time, he seems like good insurance.

Last edited:
I say 50/50. He may not beat out Hoyer. No offense to the "Brady is getting older/ prepare for the future" guys, just that a large percentage of of draftee QBs never work out. He might be as good as O'Connel.

That and Hoyer is not chopped liver.

Mike and Mike (Lombardi and Mayock) both like to think because they worked for Bill once upon a time they can channel him. If it were that simple they'd both be working for a team's FO (or even Bill's) and not on the league's network...

Bill only selected Mallett because he couldn't find a trading partner willing to swap him a 2nd next year for a 3rd, so he drafted the one guy he had a remaining guaranteed roster spot for coming out of that round, a developmental QB. If Belichick was remotely thinking of securing Brady's replacement in this draft, or if he was thinking Mallett was remotely the QB to replace him with, he'd have tapped that selection a lot sooner.

Mallett's career trajectory begins with proving he can even replace Hoyer by 2012. The last QB Bill took in the third couldn't even fend an UDFA off after the #2 job was handed to him by default. It's too bad things unfolded as they did because the JETS ended up with the QB best suited to back Brady up from this class. That may stunt his long term development, although he's got a better shot at advancing to #2 or starting than Mallett over the next two years...because all he's got to do is pass KOC to take aim on the Sanchise.

weak mo weak

being on TV is 100% no stress job than being a FO evaluator that makes less $$$:bricks:

weak mo weak

being on TV is 100% no stress job than being a FO evaluator that makes less $$$:bricks:

I see nothing wrong with the Lombardi/Mayock speculations because it's an analysis that fits the Belichick dynamic.

Smart people have solutions. Smarter people have options. Look at the options:

Brady replacement- A franchise QB trumps everything. What is interesting about Mallet is a story on NFLN that Mallet spent hours on the board with BB and they dueled to a draw. Both are sons of coaches and neither have a real love for the media. As such, I don't doubt some connection.

Trade bait- A franchise QB trumps everything. This where Mallet can set himself up. Combining superior top ten talent with 1-2 years of maturity in New England would rate higher than a #2 per MC.

Failure- It's a 3rd rounder expended with no other value available.

He's saying Mallett will be so good that Brady goes the way of Joe Montana.

You might mean that quite literally as if Brady were to pick another team to play for, it'd be the Niners.

... and I don't rule it out.

If Belichick manages this team right then at one point we will have a QB - Mallett or perhaps someone else - who will begin to exceed Brady's aging skills

Brady's skills may still be starter quality however and it would be a win win to trade him for value at that time.

None of this is sacriligious - it's the way football is played. And if it's done well the fans won't hold it against Brady for wanting to continue to start - especially if its for his hometown 49ers.

You might mean that quite literally as if Brady were to pick another team to play for, it'd be the Niners.

After watching The Brady 6, I'm not so sure about that. . . .

this kid is our future.

deal
Hoyer for a 2nd rounder

and a

5 yr Mallett

I went with 50/50... as it stands, the only thing between Mallett and a 1st round draft choice was his character. If he stays out of trouble he's worth that in trade even without playing a real NFL snap.

All the talk from Lombardi and others are only going to help fuel his value - it's already started and he hasn't even practiced.

So, unless he's needed, Belichick might not see a need to showcase him and potentially expose him to injury or a bad showing.

That's all assuming he's not the next Joe Montana like some of these media folks make him out to be, before his first NFL practice (which he better not be late for!)

I like your fervor TheSolderKing but you're not getting a 2nd rounder for Hoyer.

That's more likely - though in 2012 - than Mallett getting a 5 year contract, but he's already had that explained to him a dozen times...

That's more likely - though in 2012 - than Mallett getting a 5 year contract, but he's already had that explained to him a dozen times...
Seems like we need Bart Simpson's blackboard and the repetitive scribbles that accompany it Mo!

If Belichick manages this team right then at one point we will have a QB - Mallett or perhaps someone else - who will begin to exceed Brady's aging skills

Brady's skills may still be starter quality however and it would be a win win to trade him for value at that time.

None of this is sacriligious - it's the way football is played. And if it's done well the fans won't hold it against Brady for wanting to continue to start - especially if its for his hometown 49ers.

Don't hold your breath. Montana and Young happened in another era. And frankly it was never quite as good again. Tom's childhood fantasy ended on draft day. Since then he's been working on his football legacy. SF isn't part of that reality. If Brady's good enough to start he will start here, until the day he isn't and that's when he will depart football. Ditto his HC who will not coach or manage another NFL team in his lifetime.

I agree. Brady's style of play definitely lends itself to a long career. I think he could play until 40 on a well built team that suits his strengths, and I don't think BB could imagine a QB with a skillset he'd take over Brady's (minimal turnovers, ball-control offense, efficiency in redzone).

So what's to be done with Mallett? Best case, he flashes enough in pre-season and garbage/injury time to entice some team into a Cassel/Shaub/Kolb type deal or better. I don't know how his arm and personality lend themselves to our small-ball style of play, but maybe he looks good throwing some deep balls when teams aren't expecting it. In the mean time, he seems like good insurance.

And what if Mallett in year 3 or 4 becomes a better player than Brady in the twilight of his career?

Not to say that it's likely, but certainly possible.

That or god forbid Brady gets injured again.

Mallet is a project that simply doesn't have the tangibles to be a great NFL QB. He will be a third string QB at best, most of his career.

Mallet is a project that simply doesn't have the tangibles to be a great NFL QB. He will be a third string QB at best, most of his career.
What factual basis are you making these claims from? 90% of readings I have poured over suggest otherwise.

I say 50/50. He may not beat out Hoyer. No offense to the "Brady is getting older/ prepare for the future" guys, just that a large percentage of of draftee QBs never work out. He might be as good as O'Connel.

That and Hoyer is not chopped liver.

Right. The probability is well over 50-50 that some backup QB will start a game over the next 4 years or so, and so is the conditional probability that if it happens at all it happens for Mallett.

Multiply two 70%ish numbers together and what do you get? :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes