Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you think Mallett will ever start a game for the Pats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The bottom line is no one has a clue how Mallett will do. The fans and media talking heads simply like to talk like they know for sure one way or another so they have a 50/50 shot of saying "I told you so" one day.

The intriguing thing about Mallett is that we all know the raw materials are there. It's simply the fact that his ability to handle pressure - both on and off the field - is in question.

A low pressure situation for Mallett is best - it's why the Dolphins, with a high need at QB chose to pass on him even in the third, and why the Patriots with little need at QB, saw the value of the gamble.

I'm hoping it pays off and generate either a higher draft pick or a QB of the future - but there's so many unanswered questions - including Brady's health and abilities in several years - that it's pointless to have a staunch opinion one way or another today.
There is one thing that I can guarantee. The circumstances that occur over the next 4+ years while Mallett is a Patriot will be different than anyone has yet suggested. There is no way to predict what is going to happen.
I support the pick for 1 reason.
BB had him rated as the best QB in the draft. He simply has to take him when he is there in the second half of the 3rd round if thats the case. And I am fine with our team being built by executing each pick based on how BB has the players rated.

That was well worth the read. Thanks for posting this.

It does leave you scratching your head on why the other teams passed on him.

Well Mallett hasn't proven anyone wrong or right yet. Those concerns may very well become legit. We don't know.

Personally, I think we got a steal there. I hated the pick at first, but it's really grown on me. But no one, not even Mallett, knows how this will work out in 2 or 3 years. Pompei was just saying we did our own evaluation and came to a much different conclusion than most other teams, which has happened before like with Mankins and Vollmer, whom many analysts predicted as reaches but clearly they weren't.

Well Mallett hasn't proven anyone wrong or right yet. Those concerns may very well become legit. We don't know.

Personally, I think we got a steal there. I hated the pick at first, but it's really grown on me. But no one, not even Mallett, knows how this will work out in 2 or 3 years. Pompei was just saying we did our own evaluation and came to a much different conclusion than most other teams, which has happened before like with Mankins and Vollmer, whom many analysts predicted as reaches but clearly they weren't.
Pompei.. that's an unfortunate surname, especially if he were to visit Eyjafjallajökull.

It helps to have the chits/goodwill to be able to make a pick. Think back to the Patriots of the 80's or early 90's who had so many holes, they needed to draft for 'right now' and had to hit on every pick. Fast forward to today with 3 Lombardi trophies. You have a front office ( and BB who is secure enough) that can afford to trade into the future and at the same time, pick the pocket of teams that need to win "right now". Wouldn't Carolina love to have had the #33 pick this year?
Teams like NE, Pitt, SD and Indy that operate with that philosophy can afford to take a chance on a guy like Mallett knowing that if they miss, with multiple picks ( NE,SD) it's not a crisis if they miss on a pick ( e.g. Maroney, Jackson,Chad) and it's no accident why they are competitive year after year.
It takes a long time to straighten out an organization like Detroit and St. Louis are trying to do, albeit slowly. Teams like that don't have the luxury of using a pick to draft a backup QB hoping he can fill in or develop enough to be flipped for a future pick. Teams with extra picks can take a chance....

Last edited:
Pompei.. that's an unfortunate surname, especially if he were to visit Eyjafjallajökull.

Is Eyjafjallajökull the soccer reporter for ESPN? :D

I'm sure he's hated in Italy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back