Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you think Mallett will ever start a game for the Pats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my opinion

Mallet is a top of the draft board talent.

His upside is the next Tom Brady, his 50/50 is probably the next Jay Cutler and there is a chance he could bust.

Hoyer's upside is Kyle Orton, 50/50 is Brian Griese.

Actual results may vary.

If Brady's good enough to start he will start here, until the day he isn't and that's when he will depart football.

Really? Belichick confirmed this? Even if someone on the roster gives them a better chance of winning than Brady?

If you say so, but I guess I really had Belichick pegged wrong. I always thought of him as a "best guy gets the job" guy. I seem to remember that happening before when the last franchise QB's skills were beginning to fade.

Not saying it will happen, but the Seahawks gave up a lot to acquire Charlie Whitehurst.

Seattle Seahawks acquire San Diego Chargers' Charlie Whitehurst - ESPN

"The Seahawks swapped the 40th pick in the second round with San Diego's 60th pick and also will send the Chargers a third-round pick in the 2011 draft."

Plus Miami gave up a 2nd for A.J. Feeley once. I started laughing as I typed that actually. :singing:

I'm not saying every team will give up a 2nd for Hoyer, but in a QB league, it's amazing what people will pay for potential. If Feeley can be traded for a 2nd and Drew Henson can be traded for a 3rd despite not playing football for 4 years, you never know.

As for what Mallett will become, nobody knows, not even Mallett. But I liked what patsfaninpittsburgh wrote about smart people having options. Having a future HOF QB and a young star QB is a pretty good problem to have. I'm sure plenty of teams would love to have that problem.

If Mallet end up being the next Aaron Rodgers i can't see BB not trading TB for 2 facts. 1st tom is getting older and 2nd he is the highest paid QB, that is a huge hit in our salary cap. A possible 3rd is that we would get a better trade return with TB than Ryan Mallet.

BB is that type of person, and he always says it that he will do what's best for this team. He traded plenty of player like Seymour, Bledsoe, Milloy, Samuel lots of players if they were in other teams, they won't dare to trade them, but that would be around the end of his contract year. That is IF he feels Mallet is our guy, down the road.

If Mallet end up being the next Aaron Rodgers i can't see BB not trading TB for 2 facts. 1st tom is getting older and 2nd he is the highest paid QB, that is a huge hit in our salary cap. A possible 3rd is that we would get a better trade return with TB than Ryan Mallet.

BB is that type of person, and he always says it that he will do what's best for this team. He traded plenty of player like Seymour, Bledsoe, Milloy, Samuel lots of players if they were in other teams, they won't dare to trade them, but that would be around the end of his contract year. That is IF he feels Mallet is our guy, down the road.

Unless someone here, or any of these writers, can say with some certainty where Brady, the Patriots and Mallett will be - health and skill-wise - in 3-4 years, then any arguments about what might or might not happen is pointless.

It might be worth reminding folks that Mallett has yet to practice, let alone show he can dethrone Brady... we have no idea what Brady's skills or health will be like in a few years, let alone whether Mallett would be able to compete with him for a starting position or be worth a trade.

As has been noted, Belichick does what's best for the team. If there's a young QB who is a better present and future option than a current franchise QB, he'll play the young QB. That's about the only thing here we know for sure.

Last edited:
This is the list of 3rd rounders the mid 60's.

Draft Finder Query Results - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Two HOFers in Montana and Fouts plus a 3rd who should be in Anderson. Hanful of guys like ****y, Ferguson, White, O'Donnell, Hostetler, Chandler, (Brian) Greise who had moments and then there's the group of dozens who were awful or never heard of. Hugh Millen who's on the list is good compared to some of them.

So I have some faith the kid could end up in that Danny White group but the odds are against it so I picked less than 50/50.

Yes, history is repeating itself in the sense of people getting excited about a future QB prospect, but the differences between the 2 are like night and day, as I am quite sure you are more than aware.

Our team just drafted a 6'7" gunslinger, who puts the ball on a time with the flick of his wrist. His raw talent and skillset are unquestioned. They always have been unquestioned. It was his 'off the field issues' that concerned teams. Last summer/early fall he was in the Heisman running, and went out and proved himself once again against top-level SEC competition + brought his team back to almost win the Bowl game against a top 5 overall defense in OSU.

Many believe that under the tuteledge of one of the top 2-3 coach/QB combos of all time, that he can succeed here. And that isn't even bringing up the fact that his off the field issues should be quickly quieted under the leadership of 'men' here, rather than the 'boys' at Arkansas. They took a shot on a wild child of sorts, the same way they did with Dillon, Moss, Hernandez etc. Whether or not it works out will obviously remain to be seen.

By risking a 3rd rounder on him, it's almost as if they set themselves up for a low risk/high reward scenario. This team collects early round draft picks quicker than they can even remember or keep track of, and a 3rd rounder is even actually getting awfully close to a mid-rounder--which we'd consider a 4th. I have no problem with the pick, and I have no problem if it doesn't work out, especially if it had a double bonus by keeping him from a division rival. The whole drafting process in itself is a gamble. I do however, feel as though they increased their odds by choosing a guy who ran a pro style offense, and has such God given talent already. The question is whether or not they can keep him focused, and properly utilize his skillset to his fullest potential.

As far as people getting excited---I kind of expect them to. It's an exciting pick, and may even speak volumes about the way this front office and coach think about and look ahead to the future.

The KOC and Mallett threads are nothing different than the "Chung being the next Rodney Harrison," or "Tate being the next Branch" threads around here. In other words, I'm not sure how many (including yourself) would have been comparing a high DE/OLB pick had we taken one, to the "Crable being the next McGinnest" threads from years past. You'd have been excited, and likely saying that the players in comparison are very different.

That said, I certainly do respect your apprehension, as only time will tell if the gamble ever pays off or not. I am often cautiously optimistic too. I do feel as though we'd be able to at the very least, receive a 4th or 5th for Mallett even if it didn't necessarily 'work out' here. In the end, it may not work out in regards to being the QB of the future, but I don't think they'll walk away with nothing at all in return. In a worst case situation, they may lose a draft round or two--and that's fine by me, considering the upside that this kid seems to have. You have to take a risk sometimes in order to strike gold--especially in regards to the position of QB.

So to wrap it up, I always will expect 'Patsfans.com history to repeat itself,' because most of us are going to be excited at the potential of draft picks. We'll always have interest in guys with potential and great skills--that won't ever change. I expect the hype to die down in the next couple months, as we're only 2 weeks removed from the draft itself.

Really? Belichick confirmed this? Even if someone on the roster gives them a better chance of winning than Brady?

If you say so, but I guess I really had Belichick pegged wrong. I always thought of him as a "best guy gets the job" guy. I seem to remember that happening before when the last franchise QB's skills were beginning to fade.

Drew was 29, he was in his prime, his skills weren't beginning to fade, he was what he was...tall with a strong arm and his own stubborn, entitled convictions. Bill chose to go with the QB who had the far superior skillset (part of which was mindset...) to run this offense and lead this team by example. Mallett's skillset is a lot more similar to Drew's than to Brady's... And like Bill says all the time, there is no other QB he'd rather have than Brady. 85-90% of Brady is so coachable and adaptable it still beats the hell out of 110% of a Bledsoe in this offense.

One of the things I think he and Bill admire about each other is they care so much about doing their level best and winning and the legacy they have built here that neither will hang around ala Brett Favre to try and squeeze the last paycheck or kudo out of the game. They will go out when that little voice inside them whispers it's time buddy...

Drew was 29, he was in his prime, his skills weren't beginning to fade, he was what he was...tall with a strong arm and his own stubborn, entitled convictions. Bill chose to go with the QB who had the far superior skillset (part of which was mindset...) to run this offense and lead this team by example. Mallett's skillset is a lot more similar to Drew's than to Brady's... And like Bill says all the time, there is no other QB he'd rather have than Brady. 85-90% of Brady is so coachable and adaptable it still beats the hell out of 110% of a Bledsoe in this offense.

One of the things I think he and Bill admire about each other is they care so much about doing their level best and winning and the legacy they have built here that neither will hang around ala Brett Favre to try and squeeze the last paycheck or kudo out of the game. They will go out when that little voice inside them whispers it's time buddy...

I think Kraft/BB have studied SF and Pittsburgh and see no reason to keep Brady if someone else will take him and his monster salary when the time comes. Brady would be a gold mine in a trade, particularly if there is a back up who do handle the pressure. Mallett may be that guy. Probably not. This is tough, though. The only instance where the young stud took over without a drop off at this level of excellence is Montana - Young. How sweet would that be?

I don't think too many people looked at Bledsoe circa 2000 - 2001 as playing at the top of his game... whether the dropoff was physical, psychological, or having to deal with the 3rd coach of his career, as a big Bledsoe fan I'd not suggest he was playing his best when Brady came on the scene.

But suggesting that Brady displaced Bledsoe in his prime only makes my point for me.

Belichick won't let the better QB sit because of sentimentality or loyalty.

Belichick is loyal to winning - and whoever that is at the time - Brady, Mallett, Hoyer or some unknown entity - that's who he'll play.

There seem to be a lot of folks who have the Psychic Network on speed dial who know that Brady will avoid injury and Father Time for the foreseeable future.

It was hard to pick a favorite...

His poor cousin has to top the list though...

After BB called him up to talk to him, Kevin told me that BB said, "Here at the Patriot's organization we are pretty good at picking out quarterbacks (which many of you surely can't refute =P); stick next to Tom and in a few years you'll be our starter." While I am hesitant to believe such good news...

Only hesitant??

Then there were the theories that we did this to keep a Namath successor away from the JETS...

Patsox inadvertently summed up KOC's career trajectory in a nutshell...

O'Connell is VERY different from Matt Cassell. They are in different leagues.

I voiced some similar observations at that time too, albeit for the opposite reason...

See when it comes to selecting/evaluating potential QB's in particular I have long contended Bill has been more lucky than good.

Unless someone here, or any of these writers, can say with some certainty where Brady, the Patriots and Mallett will be - health and skill-wise - in 3-4 years, then any arguments about what might or might not happen is pointless.

It might be worth reminding folks that Mallett has yet to practice, let alone show he can dethrone Brady... we have no idea what Brady's skills or health will be like in a few years, let alone whether Mallett would be able to compete with him for a starting position or be worth a trade.

As has been noted, Belichick does what's best for the team. If there's a young QB who is a better present and future option than a current franchise QB, he'll play the young QB. That's about the only thing here we know for sure.

One thing about Mallet is that he brings character issues that none of the other NE QBs had since BB has been HC that I can recall.

The NFL has random drug testing.

I don't think too many people looked at Bledsoe circa 2000 - 2001 as playing at the top of his game... whether the dropoff was physical, psychological, or having to deal with the 3rd coach of his career, as a big Bledsoe fan I'd not suggest he was playing his best when Brady came on the scene.

But suggesting that Brady displaced Bledsoe in his prime only makes my point for me.

Belichick won't let the better QB sit because of sentimentality or loyalty.

Belichick is loyal to winning - and whoever that is at the time - Brady, Mallett, Hoyer or some unknown entity - that's who he'll play.

There seem to be a lot of folks who have the Psychic Network on speed dial who know that Brady will avoid injury and Father Time for the foreseeable future.

29 is a QB's prime. How Drew was playing at that age is part of who and what HE was...

I'm not arguing that Bill will play the guy who gives him the best chance to win. I just happen to believe where Brady is concerned he won't find better as long as Tom is still competing. Brady will leave when the time is right for him, and that time IMO will be before anyone on the roster or the horizen surpasses him. Doesn't mean he won't be replaced with a competitive QB though as Cassel proved... I also think the more like him his successor is the smoother the transition... Which was not what Bill was aiming for when he last transitioned QB's in this system...

Last edited:
One thing about Mallet is that he brings character issues that none of the other NE QBs had since BB has been HC that I can recall.

The NFL has random drug testing.

Character issues are a concern, no doubt. But none of us really know what those concerns cover, and there was a good thread about this in the draft sub-forum about how that seems to cover such a wide range of different issues, and not all of them are equal.

I've heard drugs and there's definitely a public intoxication. But my impression is they were one-off situations as opposed to addiction-type situations. A university kid getting high a few times or getting drunk a few times doesn't really shock me, to be honest.

My bigger concerns would be work ethic, coachability (spell check hates me for that word), and passion for the game, and those all seem to be extremely high.

None of this guarantees anything really. A clean prospect with no issues would be preferred, but then he's a 1st rounder. But I'd rather him have had a few issues with drugs/alcohol than problems with the work ethic.

You might mean that quite literally as if Brady were to pick another team to play for, it'd be the Niners.

... and I don't rule it out.

If Belichick manages this team right then at one point we will have a QB - Mallett or perhaps someone else - who will begin to exceed Brady's aging skills

Brady's skills may still be starter quality however and it would be a win win to trade him for value at that time.

None of this is sacriligious - it's the way football is played. And if it's done well the fans won't hold it against Brady for wanting to continue to start - especially if its for his hometown 49ers.

I have a theory that the 49ers will do whatever it takes to move up and get Andrew Luck next draft. It all just makes too much sense IMO.

New QB and HC, SF would be set up for the future.

I have a theory that the 49ers will do whatever it takes to move up and get Andrew Luck next draft. It all just makes too much sense IMO.

New QB and HC, SF would be set up for the future.

What about Kaepernick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back