Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you think Mallett will ever start a game for the Pats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a theory that the 49ers will do whatever it takes to move up and get Andrew Luck next draft. It all just makes too much sense IMO.

New QB and HC, SF would be set up for the future.

It doesn't matter what the 49ers do. They haven't been Tommy's home town team since he was 18. He could have played for his home town team in college. He chose a different and more challenging path for a reason. Michigan and NE will be his teams for the remainder of his playing days as well as his lifetime. Because those are the places where he forged a HOF career. He will start here as long as he's the best QB for this team. Said proving he remains that guy is what continues to motivate him. Just like Bill. When he senses he isn't he will hang 'em up because he's too highly competitive to just spitefully hang around and pad his stats or his bank account. Neither of which really need any.

You won't see Bill going back to the Giants or Cleveland either. More likely he'll be coaching at Annapolis or Weslyn (including lacrosse perhaps...) if he still wants to teach when he's had enough of the NFL coaching grind.

It doesn't matter what the 49ers do. They haven't been Tommy's home town team since he was 18. He could have played for his home town team in college. He chose a different and more challenging path for a reason. Michigan and NE will be his teams for the remainder of his playing days as well as his lifetime. Because those are the places where he forged a HOF career. He will start here as long as he's the best QB for this team. Said proving he remains that guy is what continues to motivate him. Just like Bill. When he senses he isn't he will hang 'em up because he's too highly competitive to just spitefully hang around and pad his stats or his bank account. Neither of which really need any.

You won't see Bill going back to the Giants or Cleveland either. More likely he'll be coaching at Annapolis or Weslyn (including lacrosse perhaps...) if he still wants to teach when he's had enough of the NFL coaching grind.

"When he senses he isn't he will hang 'em up because he's too highly competitive to just spitefully hang around and pad his stats or his bank account."

From your lips to God's ears, Mo, as the old saying goes, but there's no way for us as fans to know that about any player whom we only know, let's admit it, by the persona he chooses to present to us. At the end of the day, it's not unusual for these guys to refuse to accept that they don't have one more ring in them.

And, I wouldn't discount the "bank account" aspect of this either Mo. $10--15 million is $10--15 million" Perhaps our shared fantasy of Tom Brady would suggest that he wouldn't do it "just for the money," but that's a lot of money and who are we or anyone else to say that he "has enough?" That's a judgment that wealthy individuals make for themselves every day.

29 is a QB's prime. How Drew was playing at that age is part of who and what HE was...

I'm not arguing that Bill will play the guy who gives him the best chance to win. I just happen to believe where Brady is concerned he won't find better as long as Tom is still competing. Brady will leave when the time is right for him, and that time IMO will be before anyone on the roster or the horizen surpasses him. Doesn't mean he won't be replaced with a competitive QB though as Cassel proved... I also think the more like him his successor is the smoother the transition... Which was not what Bill was aiming for when he last transitioned QB's in this system...

You feel that a QB's age = his prime.

I feel that a QB's ability to play the best football of his career = his prime.

Drew Bledsoe was not playing the best football of his career in 2000 going into 2001. Some think he got complacent. Some blame lack of consistent coaching - very few think his best season was 2000.

Let's not argue about that. If age = prime to you then go with that... I'll use my definition.

The point is in Belichick's eyes Brady gave the team the better chance to win than Bledsoe - and as Brady ages, should someone show that they give the Patriots a better chance to win than Brady, I expect Belichick will make the same decision again.

I'm not sure why people doubt this. It may wind up being that Brady will ALWAYS be the QB on the team giving the Pats the best chance to win.

But it may not work out that way.

Yes, history is repeating itself in the sense of people getting excited about a future QB prospect, but the differences between the 2 are like night and day, as I am quite sure you are more than aware.

No, it's pretty much an identical situation. The main differences are the increased stridency of the homer side and the increased timidity of the Chicken Little side.

No, it's pretty much an identical situation. The main differences are the increased stridency of the homer side and the increased timidity of the Chicken Little side.

Like I said Deus, I certainly appreciate and will even agree with you, if you're taking the cautiously optimistic side. I certainly tend to take that side more often than not. IF, and only IF--you are insinuating that I may be a homer, you are wrong. I do not see anything wrong however, with getting somewhat excited with the prospect of improving our backup QB situation with a guy that could've gone in the first round for sure. Why rely on Brian Hoyer? Nothing wrong with getting excited. That said, I do NOT think he is the second coming of Jim Kelly/Dan Marino. Then again, who knows?

I'm not sure that I am going to personally agree with KOC and Ryan Mallett, but to each his own of course.

Mallett---one of the most pro ready QB's in the entire draft. Had it not been for some off the field concerns, he'd have been just as high if not higher as Jake Locker at 12. Heck, even WITH the off the field concerns, he was projected to go to MIA at 15--and that was by multiple sources. Does that sound like KOC to you?

Mallett---was in the running for the Heisman trophy, played in arguably the toughest conference in the whole NCAA, and tore...it..up. Does that sound like KOC to you?

Mallett---a typical gunslinger, can actually throw the ball downfield 70+ yards with a perfect spiral. Not athletic at all, much like Manning, Marino, and Brady? Does that sound like KOC to you?

These all sound like the total opposite to me. The only thing I see the same in comparison is both were considered to be 'decent backup QB prospects.' If you are going to compare a guy who's his own man, with a failed draft prospect from yrs past we may as well just stop drafting altogether.

As I said, I always respect your views and your posts, and enjoy reading them. I think I am going to respectfully disagree here, which is fine. Maybe there are more similarities then I am seeing, and if so--point them out. Just be fair, as I don't want a pissing match. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong.

Like I said Deus, I certainly appreciate and will even agree with you, if you're taking the cautiously optimistic side. I certainly tend to take that side more often than not. IF, and only IF--you are insinuating that I may be a homer, you are wrong. I do not see anything wrong however, with getting somewhat excited with the prospect of improving our backup QB situation with a guy that could've gone in the first round for sure. Why rely on Brian Hoyer? Nothing wrong with getting excited. That said, I do NOT think he is the second coming of Jim Kelly/Dan Marino. Then again, who knows?

I'm not sure that I am going to personally agree with KOC and Ryan Mallett, but to each his own of course.

Mallett---one of the most pro ready QB's in the entire draft. Had it not been for some off the field concerns, he'd have been just as high if not higher as Jake Locker at 12. Heck, even WITH the off the field concerns, he was projected to go to MIA at 15--and that was by multiple sources. Does that sound like KOC to you?

Mallett---was in the running for the Heisman trophy, played in arguably the toughest conference in the whole NCAA, and tore...it..up. Does that sound like KOC to you?

Mallett---a typical gunslinger, can actually throw the ball downfield 70+ yards with a perfect spiral. Not athletic at all, much like Manning, Marino, and Brady? Does that sound like KOC to you?

These all sound like the total opposite to me. The only thing I see the same in comparison is both were considered to be 'decent backup QB prospects.' If you are going to compare a guy who's his own man, with a failed draft prospect from yrs past we may as well just stop drafting altogether.

As I said, I always respect your views and your posts, and enjoy reading them. I think I am going to respectfully disagree here, which is fine. Maybe there are more similarities then I am seeing, and if so--point them out. Just be fair, as I don't want a pissing match. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong.

I'm not talking specifically about the qualities of the players, Supafly. I'm talking about the postings of the people. I'm not sure I've even offered my opinion of Mallet (as a player) anywhere on this site, to date. As best I can recall, all I've said about Mallet is that the pick didn't make sense because the notion of drafting a developmental QB in round 3 with the other needs of the team was a bad one. And I stand by that.

I just find it amusing that the O'Connell banter has basically been cloned, with the same type of people who were on the wrong side before being even more strident in defense of Mallet, and the sort of people who were on the right side before being more timid this time around. I think it says quite a bit about where this site has gone since 2008.

As best I can recall, all I've said about Mallet is that the pick didn't make sense because the notion of drafting a developmental QB in round 3 with the other needs of the team was a bad one.

:yeahthat:

Amen. I think that Brady, like Troy Brown and Bruschi will get different treatment than your standard player would get. When the time comes, I see either TB seeing the handwriting on the wall and going out on top or having a heart to heart talk with BB where he can then call a press conference. With tears all around, he'll announce that when he can't perform at the level where he expects to, it's time to hang them up. And he rides off into the sunset.
I hate to use the baseball comparison but I see him going out like Mike Schmidt or Yaz, rather than hanging around too long like Willie Mays who hit about .210 in his last year with the Mets. Either way, I can't see him playing for another team in this league.....
When that will be, who knows? And who knows whether his replacement is Hoyer, Mallett or some kid still in high school right now.

Last edited:
I think BB subscribes to the Bill Walsh theory that it is better to get rid of a player a year too soon then to wait a year too late (see Seymour, Vrabel, et al).

It will be interesting to see how he handle Brady 3-4 years from now.

I'm not talking specifically about the qualities of the players, Supafly. I'm talking about the postings of the people. I'm not sure I've even offered my opinion of Mallet (as a player) anywhere on this site, to date. As best I can recall, all I've said about Mallet is that the pick didn't make sense because the notion of drafting a developmental QB in round 3 with the other needs of the team was a bad one. And I stand by that.

I just find it amusing that the O'Connell banter has basically been cloned, with the same type of people who were on the wrong side before being even more strident in defense of Mallet, and the sort of people who were on the right side before being more timid this time around. I think it says quite a bit about where this site has gone since 2008.

Certainly a very valid and fair viewpoint. Apologies for being on a different wavelength regarding the personal opinion on Mallett, instead of the actual point about the boards'/posters' tendencies.

I don't know if we'll ever find out the specifics behind the thinking regarding BB's choice. Maybe he felt there was just too much upside + value with Mallett falling? Maybe he just didn't like this particular draft very much, which is kind of the feeling that I get. I am hoping that the other front 7 (specifically OLB) need (s) will be addressed via free agency of course, and feel as though he may prefer more seasoned vets with experience, as opposed to having to groom starters at that specific position.

With a healthier and more experienced front line + the addition of Stroud (and even possible retention of G.Warren--still up in the air), and BB's tendency to address and solidify the back part of the defense, the only pereceived 'weakness' that I see would be ONE outside LB'er. I do agree that it was a typical BB WTF type pick for some, no doubting that. But if either of the reasons listed above regarding his reasoning are true, or even the theory of not wanting the 2-3 yr learning curve at OLB, he still may have set the team up for more immediate results this year AND possibly addressed the future at the same time.

All in all, I can certainly respect your feeling on wanting to address a current weakness rather than worry about a developmental QB. Obviously, only time will tell if it was the right choice or not. One thing's for sure, our teams' coach certainly gives us plenty to talk about, and keeps us on our toes all through the year--offseason or not :cool:

Simple QB solution
Brady and Mallet race a 10 yd dash every Friday to see who starts. The QB able to finish gets the assignment.

Uh, I think you'd have to start that race on a Thursday--unless it was a Monday night game.

I think BB subscribes to the Bill Walsh theory that it is better to get rid of a player a year too soon then to wait a year too late (see Seymour, Vrabel, et al).

It will be interesting to see how he handle Brady 3-4 years from now.

Well I guess et al doesn't include guys like Tedy and Rodney and Bingo who fly in the face of Walsh logic. Or perhaps lot more goes into the teambuilding decisions Bill makes here than some are willing to admit.

Players who go are not only no longer producing at the highest level or with consistency, they are also generally being overpaid and are unwilling to renegotiate to rectify that not to mention increasingly inclined to chirp about what they've earned or deserve or will require or the fact that their impending financial need trumps this teams need or the need to win here...

I don't see Tommy falling into that category. Yeah, he lent his name to the lawsuit but only after taking their extension offer that didn't approach the territory the mediots were adamantly trying to convince fans it must only a couple of months ago. $18M new money AAV, $16M cap average over 5 seasons. That won't be pinching Bill's franchise QB formula even if the cap is rolled back to the $120M range under a new CBA. Brady has always played ball with them and he has produced consistently whether he's in a contract year or the ink is still drying on his latest deal.

The guys who epitomize everything being a Patriot player is supposed to encompass, the guys Bill's gets choaked up over when they do depart, those guys get the deference because they've not only earned it, they've proven they won't make you regret it. Brady moreso than any other player he's ever coached has always adhered to the organizational message and shouldered the burden of accountability and had his coache's back.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Tommy and Bill present each other for enshrinement in Canton within a year or two of each other - sometime after 2021. Fans of this team and mediots attempting to cover it would be well advised to begin relishing the time that remains with possibly the greatest HC/QB tandem this league has ever seen instead of continually looking to move past it...

"When he senses he isn't he will hang 'em up because he's too highly competitive to just spitefully hang around and pad his stats or his bank account."

From your lips to God's ears, Mo, as the old saying goes, but there's no way for us as fans to know that about any player whom we only know, let's admit it, by the persona he chooses to present to us. At the end of the day, it's not unusual for these guys to refuse to accept that they don't have one more ring in them.

And, I wouldn't discount the "bank account" aspect of this either Mo. $10--15 million is $10--15 million" Perhaps our shared fantasy of Tom Brady would suggest that he wouldn't do it "just for the money," but that's a lot of money and who are we or anyone else to say that he "has enough?" That's a judgment that wealthy individuals make for themselves every day.

His wife made more than that last year alone. Their combined total net worth is reportedly in excess of $400M and with savvy management like securing a stake in Under Armour and branding your own products lines that won't suffer for at least a couple of decades whether they can take the field or strutt the catwalk...

And Tom has told us repeatedly that he from a football standpoint this is his home and he wants to play as long as he can competitively and Bill has told us repeatedly there is no other QB he would rather have. I choose to believe them.

Aside from that...Kraft will want to reap the rewards of a rags to riches QB odessey that culminates in Canton. GB offered to pay Favre $20M to just retire gracefully...because they knew between memorabelia and marketing deals they could recoup three times that on their HOF former QB during his waiting period alone. Now he's relatively worthless to them - although with just one ring they seem to have replaced him on the field - 3 years post Favre and 6 years and 2 contracts into the Aaron Rogers era.

IAs best I can recall, all I've said about Mallet is that the pick didn't make sense because the notion of drafting a developmental QB in round 3 with the other needs of the team was a bad one. And I stand by that.

He's not really a developmental QB; he's a fairly well developed QB who dropped because he's perceived as an off the field risk (and, to a lesser extent, he's a statue which might scare off some teams).

He is a backup. Whether they could have done something else to improve the 2011 team with a third round pick is a pretty open question. I'm sure a bunch of players picked after 74 will have good 2011 seasons, but the question is always which one. So which specific player would you have taken at 74 instead of Mallett?

Uh, I think you'd have to start that race on a Thursday--unless it was a Monday night game.

And then of course you'd have Hoyer and Edelman trying to get in on the fun. [We'll give you guys a 10-yard headstart! ;) ]

He's not really a developmental QB; he's a fairly well developed QB who dropped because he's perceived as an off the field risk (and, to a lesser extent, he's a statue which might scare off some teams).

He's a developmental QB, with issues on the field as well as off. Don't kid yourself.

He's a developmental QB, with issues on the field as well as off. Don't kid yourself.

I'm confused. What do you mean by developmental QB? What issues on the field does he have (other than "slow as ****")?

EDIT: I'm not saying he's ready to be a decent NFL starting QB on day way, but he's not a Kaepernick who needs to rebuild his throwing motion or a young Tom Brady who was too skinny or a Gabbert who's never taken a snap under center. By all accounts he's pretty pro ready for a QB prospect.

Last edited:
I'm confused. What do you mean by developmental QB? What issues on the field does he have (other than "slow as ****")?

Go read a few draft profiles on the kid, or go watch him in action, and you can start to get a picture. His issues with pressure are probably the main problem. The modern NFL makes it very difficult to consistently keep a QB clean, and this kid is heavily reliant on a clean pocket.

Look, let's put it another way. In a year with what's been considered a terrible QB class, the guy still managed to fall to the 3rd round. That's not a guarantee that the kid will be coaching high school football in a year or anything, but it should be a caution flag for this team's fans and the hype machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes