PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Miami interested in Ashworth??

Status
Not open for further replies.
No thoughts on this but he and Neal are definitely flying under the radar among fans with the impending losses of Givens and Vinatieri. As long as the team likes Kaczur and takes a first day OT, this won't be an issue. Hopefully Gorin ends up as a backup this year.

I'm just glad that Charlie Weis is in Notre Dame. Between Saban, Crennel, and Mangini, it's becoming tougher and tougher to keep our FA's or sign new ones and we aren't even talking about all those teams getting a jump on us in the draft. Yikes.

The problem with Charlie Weis in ND is that he is a self-proclaimed protege of Parcells more so then BB. Obviously he runs his program as closely around BB's style as possible, but what seperates Saban and Mangini from the others is their similarity and loyalty to BB. When Saban or Hill for that matter had insider info it went to BB only, now with the tree growing so much who's to say who gets what info these days. One thing is for certain though, I feel that Charlie would be as inclined to give Parcells info as much as BB.

Pats726 said:
http://s15.invisionfree.com/NFL_Draft_Blitz_V2/index.php?showtopic=27

Thanks Miguel for that link!!...IN looking at a FA link it mentioned that Mia may be looking at Ashworth as a FA to sign...THAT is the first I have seen of that.. Thoughts??

They can do better and so can we. Now don't get me wrong. Ashworth did a great job for us, before his back problems began. After that, it seemed like his play fell off a little. All I know is that Brady took a beating last year, and WE ARE FORTUNATE that Brady came out of the 2005 season with a mere groin injury. It could have been so much worse, IMO. Ashworth was part of the problem, not the solution.

Last edited:
TeamPats said:
The problem with Charlie Weis in ND is that he is a self-proclaimed protege of Parcells more so then BB. Obviously he runs his program as closely around BB's style as possible, but what seperates Saban and Mangini from the others is their similarity and loyalty to BB. When Saban or Hill for that matter had insider info it went to BB only, now with the tree growing so much who's to say who gets what info these days. One thing is for certain though, I feel that Charlie would be as inclined to give Parcells info as much as BB.

While I do agree that Charlie would be generous with his input on players - why wouldn't he want them to get the best pro deal? I disagree that he'd have any privileged info for Parcells. They did not get along. Parcells relieved Weis of his playcalling duties at the Jets. Charlie jumped at the chance to join BB at the Patriots.

TeamPats said:
The problem with Charlie Weis in ND is that he is a self-proclaimed protege of Parcells more so then BB. .

I understand what you're saying but I was actually trying to make a point that if Charlie Weis had gone to another team like the Bills for example, he would also be looking at our FA's, competing to sign other FA's we'd like, and draft players we'd like too. I'm glad he's in the college ranks because that coaching tree which already has so many branches currently, didn't branch out to one more team.

TeamPats said:

When BB left the Jets Charlie surprised people and was a witness in favor of BB and NOT Parcells as was the conventional wisdom. I don't think Charlie will be whispering in Parcells ear any time soon.

DefenseRules said:
They can do better and so can we. Now don't get me wrong. Ashworth did a great job for us, before his back problems began. After that, it seemed like his play fell off a little. All I know is that Brady took a beating last year, and WE ARE FORTUNATE that Brady came out of the 2005 season with a mere groin injury. It could have been so much worse, IMO. Ashworth was part of the problem, not the solution.

I will have to find it, but I saw stats that showed the majority of Brady's sacks came up the middle. Never the less, whenever a defense sends more players than are on the OL, then Brady is going to take hits. Ash, IMO, was one of the best pass blockers on the team, Light included. He is not over powering on run blocking.

I'm not sure that Kaczur is the answer either. There were rumors that the 2 games he missed in Dec. were not due to injuries, but lack of preparation and work effort.

So, with all that, I wish Ashworth well. He did a pretty good job for us as a undrafted free agent.

I think that Ashworth did a reasonable job sharing the RT position with Gorin. Someone will want him as a starter and is likely to spend more than we will on the position.

I don't know why it necessary to dis every player who leaves, or potentially leaves the patriots. I guess it part of being a poster. :)

The bottom line is that we have 14 free agents. All performed a role in last year's team. All need to be re-signed or replaced.

mgteich said:
I don't know why it necessary to dis every player who leaves, or potentially leaves the patriots.
I don't think it is, for me anyway - I don't want an average RT protecting Brady. Although it won't happen, I would be fine with a RT in the first round a RG in the second (assuming Neal leaves) and a Center in the 3rd unless we can re-sign Koppen who's a UFA in 12 months. There is nothing more important to this team than Brady and I would pay any price to keep our 27 year old stud from aging before his time.

texpat said:
I will have to find it, but I saw stats that showed the majority of Brady's sacks came up the middle. Never the less, whenever a defense sends more players than are on the OL, then Brady is going to take hits. Ash, IMO, was one of the best pass blockers on the team, Light included. He is not over powering on run blocking.

I'm not sure that Kaczur is the answer either. There were rumors that the 2 games he missed in Dec. were not due to injuries, but lack of preparation and work effort.

So, with all that, I wish Ashworth well. He did a pretty good job for us as a undrafted free agent.
First I've heard of any issue with Kaczur not working hard, Dante gave him high praise in his brief stint as acting-HC. Kaz made the injury report at different times, and he did start against Jax, it doesn't seem likely that his problems were anything other than injury.

I agree Ashworth was a good pass blocker, much better then Gorin who is the better run blocker. I think the reason Gorin was left in after Ashworth healed up was for continuity, he already had good rapport with Neal from 2004 so keeping him kept that going and freed up the more mobile Ashworth for duties at LT and FB.

Next Level Scouting had a note indicating Ashworth was one of the most talked about Free Agent prospects at the Senior Bowl. A proven zone blocking, swing tackle in a league where speed rushers are now coming from both sides is going to be someone zone bloxking clubs would be willing to pay good coin to, Ash could easily wind up making as much or more than Light.

Assuming Neal and Ashworth aren't re-signed, I can see Gorin at RG and Kaczur or Light at RT with the other at LT.

Box_O_Rocks said:
First I've heard of any issue with Kaczur not working hard
Felger made a comment that he'd heard that Kaczur's missed start in the Denver playoff game may have had more to do with his lifestyle not allowing him to prepare appropriately than the shoulder injury. That's paraphrased, it was kind of a Felger rumor comment as opposed to a factual statement. It was slightly worriesome, though.

BelichickFan said:
Felger made a comment that he'd heard that Kaczur's missed start in the Denver playoff game may have had more to do with his lifestyle not allowing him to prepare appropriately than the shoulder injury. That's paraphrased, it was kind of a Felger rumor comment as opposed to a factual statement. It was slightly worriesome, though.
Something from his radio show? I missed it in print and still would be very surprised if it were true.

Thank goodness that ... in 2007 ... all these difficult valuation problems

will just go away, along with the salary cap.

Then just sign 'em all!

We're a revenue king club now, lads!

Box_O_Rocks said:
Something from his radio show? I missed it in print and still would be very surprised if it were true.

Why??

Athletes are human too. Not all are perfect.

Do you have any co-workers show up not ready to do their job?

texpat said:
Why??

Athletes are human too. Not all are perfect.

Do you have any co-workers show up not ready to do their job?
Yeh, my bosses, retirement cured that complaint.

'Potential' doesn't equate to 'actual' behavior - Kaz's actual behavior during the season was to work hard and succeed beyond our wildest expectations. Now the team is preparing for the biggest game of the year, the same week Kaz wound up on the injury report, and we're to accept Felger's rumor that he was lollygagging? There is no consistency in that, and even if Kazcur had been putting out less effort, why not go with him when Ashworth caught the flu?

I'm prepared to believe any player can go through a bad spell mentally, emotionally, physically, stuff happens, but one comment from one source, contrary to previous behavior and information and suddenly it's borderline fact. The reason I asked if Felger brought this up on his show or in a story is the complaint many have made about his show standards being much loser than his print standards.

I'm prepared to believe that someone made a remark to Felger, but if I can have co-workers who slack off, you can also have co-workers who whine about everyone else's performance with no basis in fact.

DefenseRules said:

Ashworth may have ended our season in Denver on Champ's INT. Just watch him completely ignore Ferguson and attempt to double-team a contained rusher. He could of been confused about the play or blocking scheme, so who knows.

What makes you think that the Kraft's would allocate any more than the current amount to players in 2007.

flutie2phelan said:
Thank goodness that ... in 2007 ... all these difficult valuation problems

will just go away, along with the salary cap.

Then just sign 'em all!

We're a revenue king club now, lads!

smg93 said:
I'm just glad that Charlie Weis is in Notre Dame. Between Saban, Crennel, and Mangini, it's becoming tougher and tougher to keep our FA's or sign new ones and we aren't even talking about all those teams getting a jump on us in the draft. Yikes.

Not sure you can lump Saban in on that statement. It's one thing for Mangini or Crennel because of their familiarity with the player but Saban's been detached from that "family" for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News