PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather, our future CB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
As you've probably noted, Meriweather has been lining up as a CB in training camp thus far. And you know about the Samuel situation.
Would you be happy with Meriweather as our CB? Do you think he has the skills to pull it off? Discuss.

Last edited:
I think Meriweather is part of the growing trend of safeties who have the coverage skills and body types of cornerbacks (a la Ed Reed and Eugene Wilson.)

It makes the most sense to me that he will play both. At first I think he will primarily play mostly nickel (unless we are again ravaged by injuries at safety.) But if he can switch between the two positions from play to play, or even from pre snap to post snap, then it just helps to create even more confusion.

I think Meriweather is part of the growing trend of safeties who have the coverage skills and body types of cornerbacks (a la Ed Reed and Eugene Wilson.)

It makes the most sense to me that he will play both. At first I think he will primarily play mostly nickel (unless we are again ravaged by injuries at safety.) But if he can switch between the two positions from play to play, or even from pre snap to post snap, then it just helps to create even more confusion.
Good post. Meriweather is going to play where he's most needed based on his capabilities. After his indoctrination no matter how long it takes, he'll be able to play any DB position. At that time, he'll officially be cast into the Patriot mold: Flexibility and knowledge to play all DB positions.

Both Wilson and Harrison have been regular nickel CBs at various points in their careers. I assume Meriweather will be at least that much of a CB too.

And it wouldn't take much more rank-thinning for one of Wilson or Meriweather to wind up as a starting CB while the other starts at S.

As others have said, I think it's quite unlikely he'll be a "starting CB" but he should be very effective playing man to man in certain instances.

Great post.

IMO, where he plays and how much will be based on how well he picks up the concepts & nuances of the defense, can read coverages and apply what he learns on gameday.

He seems to have the physical skills to play a decent SS, FS, CB, NB or DB when called upon. BB has always said that if you can't apply what you learn in preparing to the field, you will not be sucessful.

That is still true.

Last edited:
Meriweather is a DB not CB. He has an undefined role. A CB is a sub position of DB. Much like a Guard is still an offensive lineman. It mostly depends on how the staff views his skills vs. various opponents. I think he will be most usefull against teams that run the football out of 3WR sets like Indy, Cinci or NYJ.

Meriweather is a DB not CB. He has an undefined role. A CB is a sub position of DB. Much like a Guard is still an offensive lineman. It mostly depends on how the staff views his skills vs. various opponents. I think he will be most usefull against teams that run the football out of 3WR sets like Indy, Cinci or NYJ.

In which case, he would play the nickelback position?
I'm pretty sure that BB doesn't want to start a rookie in the backfield.

But if Meriweather shows the talent and Samuel continues his assanine holdout, he might be out there at CB more often than you'd think.
And in this case I mean more than talent, but also grasp of the defense and knowing how to play his assignments.

After all, remember that Eugene Wilson was initially drafted to play CB but was moved to FS to fill a hole in the defensive backfield.
Why couldn't Meriweather make the transition to CB?

I think no matter which spot he fills, he will start the season at nickelback which has a mishmass of responsibilities of both the CB and FS position. I am guessing they will probably try to see if he can be in the CB position.

They are probably going to see if Wilson is worth keeping at safety and will probably be a lock to start. Even if Samuel comes back, it is questionable that he will be back next year and that might be the best place for Merriweather to get a starting position.

Love this kid. Great skills. I knew the pats would draft him. I would like to thank those who felt the same way. We can say "I told ya so" :p After seeing a few interviews and watching him play I know they gave the right kid a chance. He will be great here. He is a good kid.

:rocker: :rocker:

Last edited:
NB is where he is useful because he can tackle and play the run well. But an opposing offense needs extra WRs on the field. More importantly, I do not see Meriweather playing in Hobbs' or Samuel's spot at RCB or LCB in a regular season game. He would be eaten alive out on an island. Only if the IR is filling up.

NB is where he is useful because he can tackle and play the run well. But an opposing offense needs extra WRs on the field. More importantly, I do not see Meriweather playing in Hobbs' or Samuel's spot at RCB or LCB in a regular season game. He would be eaten alive out on an island. Only if the IR is filling up.

Agreed. It'll be Ricky Reynolds all over again.

My personal opinion on the two DB positions (CB and S) is that cornerback requires more physical tools to succeed, whereas safety relies more on mental tools to succeed.

So it seems an obvious choice to put a rookie DB at cornerback, where his peaking physical skills can be best used, while he gains the experience and wisdom to excel at safety.

My personal opinion on the two DB positions (CB and S) is that cornerback requires more physical tools to succeed, whereas safety relies more on mental tools to succeed.

So it seems an obvious choice to put a rookie DB at cornerback, where his peaking physical skills can be best used, while he gains the experience and wisdom to excel at safety.

Good points. A very likely possibility. Not to compare, but Ronnie Lott was a CB early in his career and Walsh moved him. Same with Rod Woodson.

As others have said, I think it's quite unlikely he'll be a "starting CB" but he should be very effective playing man to man in certain instances.

From what we've heard, I agree. What concerns me are those other "instances".

A rook stepping into first-string CB in the NFL is one of the toughest assignments there is. No room for error. Errors become highlight films. SportsCenter material. I'd be more comfortable seeing him play a lot of nickel and rotating in on special occasions than taking the baton to start the race.

Assante needs to come back to earth and get serious about his team, the whole reason he has the stats he has.

//

I think he is very capable of playing CB, and will play there more than people think.

a version of the younger Ty Law is here ... :rolleyes:
.... about same size anyway :bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes