PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, what a joke this thread is. The constant moralizing that goes on here is sad. The kid isn't Jack the Ripper and he doesn't have to put on a bow tie and dance a little jig for you.

He's young and he's trying to establish his foundation in the league. Nothing more, nothing less. Rodney has barked at people his entire career. Get over it.

I prefer to not have the players doing too much jawing for appearance reasons, but if you need practical reasons for why they should not:

1. chance of drawing a 15 yard penalty

2. bulletin board material

3. loss of focus (in 3GTG3, in the SB, BB comes over to the D and tells them to stop jawing with Philly and focus on the next play)

I think he'll get a good talking to.
Meriweather just needs to settle down and play the game.
A little attitude is necessary for any defensive back in the NFL.
But playing under control is also important.
I trust that BM will learn that in time.

cant believe some of u guys are gonna make a big deal about players talking. i rather see him stand up than sit back.

its not like he started a fight..simple words to the other team. every player does it. look at our team. Harrison, Vrabel, Colvin, Hobbs all talk a lot. big deal. as long as he doesnt do it against everyoen and get a bad reputation..thats fine.

cant believe some of u guys are gonna make a big deal about players talking. i rather see him stand up than sit back.

its not like he started a fight..simple words to the other team. every player does it. look at our team. Harrison, Vrabel, Colvin, Hobbs all talk a lot. big deal. as long as he doesnt do it against everyoen and get a bad reputation..thats fine.

:agree: :ditto:

It's really amusing to fans still preaching the Patriot Way. Our star D player took HGH and was suspended. Our coach was caught violating league rules with a camera.

We are not a friggin' choir. Chill.

Merriweather looked very good last night. But yeah, let's rip him because he was a rookie getting his first significant action of the year on MNF and was a little too amped up. Unreal.

Re: Merriweather

I have gone back and forth on how I feel about him since he was drafted. At first I was dissapointed because of his "character" issues but then I warmed up to the idea of him being on the Pats. Last night he seemed to play a bit more than the previous games. To me it looked like he was a ticking time bomb out on the field. He could have been flagged for unnecessary roughness which doesn't bother me that much but all the jawing he was doing toward the end of the game i felt was a little unnecessary. Houshmazzili appears to be a real **** and would piss me off as well but BM was in his face with prolonged **** talk. The next time down on kickoff coverage it looked like he was getting into it with a bunch of Bengal special team duds. I am sure the Bungles were talking as well but i didnt notice any of our Vets carrying on with all that talk and it kind of bothered me that Mr. Character looked like he was borderline losing control. He seems really immature. Did anyone else notice this? What do you think?

I think you're just looking for something. Sorry, he did trash talk some but if you didn't notice the guy he was talking to the most happens to be a known trash talker, so I wouldn't wrry about it. Meriweather has seen action in the other games and made a few tackles, I don't remember seeing him talking all that much during those games. What changed? TJ.

He is a rookie and moreover- he is a human being. Sometimes people get a little too fired up, a little too agressive. He will learn how to control himself with time. Whats certain is that he has immense potential to be a great player for us. He can tackle well, he can find the football, and he can really lay people out if he gets the chance.

Now all he needs to do is learn from Rodney, keep working hard, and the rest will come with time. I have strong hopes that he will be a Pro Bowler before too long. :cool: :rocker:

To me ,this isn't an ethics or professionalism issue. It is a concentration issue. When he's walking away from the end of a play, he should already be thinking about what he did on that one and how he'll do it better the next time. Then, he should be thinking about the next play.

When another player initiates trash talk, good players just ignore it. Good players sometimes initiate it, in order to distract other players - it's not just to pump themselves up, it is an intentional tactic.

It is important for players who may still have some of the "don't dis me" culture in them to get it out of their heads. It is a sign of insecurity. Why should a secure, capable player care what a player on another team thinks?

Re: Meriweather

I argee with you all off season it was all "Moss is trouble" but I think that this kid need to get his act together or else he will be out of a job.

Are you serious? For talking smack and pushing a guy out of bounds??? You realize this is the NFL and not little league don't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe