PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather and the Return of the Swagger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, no. I believe he is 4th on the team of defensive snaps played, behind Wilfork, Mayo, and Chung.

And he can back up his swagger just fine. See the Dolphins game, the Heap endzone hit, the hit on Ocho Cinco, the sideline hit on Boldin or Mason, ect ect.

This is what we drafted, guys. He was called "The Hit Stick" for a reason. He just needs to be consistent now. If he has a big game Sunday in SD, that will be 3 games in a row he's been great in, which will be the first time he's ever really put it all together. Maybe Belichick's benching at the beginning of the year woke him up. But he's played great football the last 2 games.

This is the best post in the thread. If I could give you props for it, I would. Heap and Meriweather are supposedly friendly with one another. Having looked at the hit, while it was illegal, it seemed to be the product of mistiming. After that, he decapitated Mason on the sideline with a clean hit (props to Mason for holding onto the ball) and killed Boldin, effectively separating the receiver from the ball. That would have been the play of the game if not for two things: (1) Mesko's punt and, (2) the B.S. flag that was thrown on the play.

People are looking too much at the one hit, which he has to do in better form from now on, and not enough at the rest of the stuff he did throughout the game. Hell, he even inspired Chung, who also killed his man on the goal line. As you said, this is why we drafted him. Hard hitting safety who earned the nickname "hit stick" for a reason. Did you guys not expect to see a hit or two like that? He's a safety. His most important job is to separate the receiver from the ball. He did that job to his fullest this past Sunday and, with the exception of one mistake, did a fine job of it.

Oh, and Rodney Harrison preaching from the soap box? You kidding me, Rodney? This is what I have to say to that: :rofl:

QB12,

you are not making yourself look good in this thread or the other one. BM is actually a pretty poor tackler. He doesn't understand the concept of wrapping up and is constantly leaving his feet in an attempt to launch himself at receivers. I'm sure he didn't mean to hit Heap helmet to helmet, but he did not make a good play on that ball. As a matter of fact, if he was playing the ball on that play instead of head-hunting, he could have had a pick because the ball was way overthrown.

If you want to set an example of a guy making a great hit, look at Chung breaking up the pass to Mason in the endzone. That was a pass over the middle and Chung hammered him with his shoulder and without launching himself.

Folkin A! B, C and D too!!!

Put me in the group that likes BM overall and his ferocity. Yes, he has been in BB's doghouse a lot over the years and thats not arbitrary.

He needs to smarten up and play within the rules. I HATE dirty plays. Makes the entire organization look cheap.

This is the best post in the thread. If I could give you props for it, I would. Heap and Meriweather are supposedly friendly with one another. Having looked at the hit, while it was illegal, it seemed to be the product of mistiming. After that, he decapitated Mason on the sideline with a clean hit (props to Mason for holding onto the ball) and killed Boldin, effectively separating the receiver from the ball. That would have been the play of the game if not for two things: (1) Mesko's punt and, (2) the B.S. flag that was thrown on the play.

People are looking too much at the one hit, which he has to do in better form from now on, and not enough at the rest of the stuff he did throughout the game. Hell, he even inspired Chung, who also killed his man on the goal line. As you said, this is why we drafted him. Hard hitting safety who earned the nickname "hit stick" for a reason. Did you guys not expect to see a hit or two like that? He's a safety. His most important job is to separate the receiver from the ball. He did that job to his fullest this past Sunday and, with the exception of one mistake, did a fine job of it.

Oh, and Rodney Harrison preaching from the soap box? You kidding me, Rodney? This is what I have to say to that: :rofl:

Agreed.... eleventybajillionpercent

Thanks, Kontra. I usually get one good post in every hunderd or so. What bugs me about this forum so much is the stupid crap gets repeated and yelled back and forth, but people make solid points and it gets buried under pages of garbage.

Um, no. I believe he is 4th on the team of defensive snaps played, behind Wilfork, Mayo, and Chung.

McCourty, a rookie, has played in every single defensive snap.

Thanks, Kontra. I usually get one good post in every hunderd or so. What bugs me about this forum so much is the stupid crap gets repeated and yelled back and forth, but people make solid points and it gets buried under pages of garbage.

Here's a compilation of the defensive snap counts before the Baltimore game, when Meriweather was benched following his personal foul although he was re-inserted into the game after his replacement, Page, was injured. Tough to say if that would have happened otherwise... He was 7th at that juncture...

New England Patriots Defensive Personnel Analysis By Snaps Played - Pats Pulpit

What I want to know is, where were all the mediots who are now on the "anti violence" bandwagon when Tom Jackson was running his weekly "Jacked Up" segment on Monday Night Countdown, celebrating the most vicious hits of the week. You remember how the group of morons around the table would shout "He got J-a-c-k-e-d U-p."

God, I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning...it smells like...like ESPN.

Was thinking the exact same thing. They change their opinions depending on which direction the wind blows.

Hopefully it won't take that. BB seems a bit exasperated with his play this year. Been in the league and with the team long enough to 'get it'.

I think its possible that Raiders pick could wind up turning into a safety. I've never been blown away by Meriweather, even last year I thought his Pro Bowl selection was iffy. If he is expecting any kind of payday when his contract is up (next year?) I think he's got another thing coming. I think it's probably more likely that there will be a defensive lineman or offensive linemen taken with that pick but if there's a top flight safety on the board it might be a good move. Meriweather is an idiot.

I think its possible that Raiders pick could wind up turning into a safety. I've never been blown away by Meriweather, even last year I thought his Pro Bowl selection was iffy. If he is expecting any kind of payday when his contract is up (next year?) I think he's got another thing coming. I think it's probably more likely that there will be a defensive lineman or offensive linemen taken with that pick but if there's a top flight safety on the board it might be a good move. Meriweather is an idiot.

Doubt it. That pick is likely going to be used on either the interior O-Line or the front seven.

I love BM's hitting, just not his field smarts. That's great he had a big hit on Heap. He also was out of place, like his whole career, a lot of the day. I'm not as impressed with him as others.

I love BM's hitting, just not his field smarts. That's great he had a big hit on Heap. He also was out of place, like his whole career, a lot of the day. I'm not as impressed with him as others.

That's my problem with him. I would have loved the hit, cheap or not, if it didn't draw the flag. If you're gonna play dirty, you better play smart too.

for me it was the Return of the OLB's even Crable, whos numbers will not show up in the stat sheet was geting to flacco, on pretty much every 3rd down in the 4th and OT

I'm all for bone crushing hits, but two of the hits by Merriweather where he launched himself and led with his helmet (both hits against Heap) clearly illegal. The hit he gave Mason on the sideline was legal as well as Chung's hit on Mason in the endzone.

Merriweather's gotta be smarter than that. Not only did he cost us penalties, but he could have injured not only Heap, but also himself.

Let's not forget how a lot of you guys were all up in arms when Ryan Clark destroyed Welker a couple of years ago, and he didn't even lead with his helmet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnWajHV7Zwk

I am curious how BB reacts to BM's comments that his (Meriweather's) individual action resulted in a change in the D's attitude (as confirmed by Vince and in an interesting related article on CHFF).

After all, BB didn't look that pleased when the hit occured. But again, if BB was really unhappy, he wouldn't have let him back in the game.

After all, BB didn't look that pleased when the hit occured. But again, if BB was really unhappy, he wouldn't have let him back in the game.
Frankly i was waiting for Belichick to go off on BM. I thought his reaction when meriwheather came to the sidelines was pretty muted and i was surprised.

Frankly i was waiting for Belichick to go off on BM. I thought his reaction when meriwheather came to the sidelines was pretty muted and i was surprised.

I was suprised that he had any reaction at all. For him to show any means BB wasn't pleased int the least and there was probably more to follow.

Kon

I have to compliment you on your Merriweather and Branch posts. Both have been dead on.

I have seen the replay a number of times and am not convinced that BM had any intention of a head to head hit, Heap's angle changed on the way down, BM was making some big hits throughout the game the 1st on Heap on the TD, and then on Mason on the sidelines. Not to condone any cheap stuff but its nice to see someone flyin around out there laying the lumber, hate the 15 yarder but love the intensity, and if Big Vince loves it and says it ramped them up then so be it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft