PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The complete and utter brilliance of this offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Forgive the hyperbole. It's been a while since we won the offseason.

The transactions of the past 3 days, in my eyes, signal the most brilliant and fortuitous set of moves since 2001. Not only are we a Hightower re-signing and a few depth signings away from building a 2007-style superteam, but these moves set the stage for a smooth transition into the next era of this franchise. Consider the implications.

Allen is 80% the player that Bennett is at 67% the cost, and is much younger. He is locked up long term ensuring a smooth transition if/when Gronk's time comes. The trade cost equates to a high 6th round pick.

Gilmore is a superior athlete to Butler, and if not a superior player, he is at least on the same tier. Keep Butler around and we're looking at a secondary that rivals the Seattle and Denver groups of recent vintage. Trade Butler, and we're likely looking at a high 1st round pick.

Ealy is a cheap young player with a high ceiling. He will likely contribute more than any rookie in 2017. He could potentially replace Sheard's production at one tenth the cap cost. The trade cost equates to a mid 5th round pick.

Cooks is immediately the most talented Patriots WR since Moss and is playing on a rookie contract with an affordable option for 2018. Timing is key here, as, by 2018, we are likely looking at the end of the run for Edelman and Gronk.

We are still sitting on around $25 million in cap room, with Amendola's cap hit still on the roster and Brady's extension forthcoming. A Hightower re-sign is quite possible, as long as a few other depth moves. We are still sitting on two blue chip assets in Butler and Garoppolo. Each is worth at least a high 1st round pick and maybe more, while Garoppolo just may be Brady's successor.

Essentially, the Patriots have build a superteam for 2017 while laying out the foundational pieces for the next era.

Forgive the hyperbole. It's been a while since we won the offseason.

The transactions of the past 3 days, in my eyes, signal the most brilliant and fortuitous set of moves since 2001. Not only are we a Hightower re-signing and a few depth signings away from building a 2007-style superteam, but these moves set the stage for a smooth transition into the next era of this franchise. Consider the implications.

Allen is 80% the player that Bennett is at 67% the cost, and is much younger. He is locked up long term ensuring a smooth transition if/when Gronk's time comes. The trade cost equates to a high 6th round pick.

Gilmore is a superior athlete to Butler, and if not a superior player, he is at least on the same tier. Keep Butler around and we're looking at a secondary that rivals the Seattle and Denver groups of recent vintage. Trade Butler, and we're likely looking at a high 1st round pick.

Ealy is a cheap young player with a high ceiling. He will likely contribute more than any rookie in 2017. He could potentially replace Sheard's production at one tenth the cap cost. The trade cost equates to a mid 5th round pick.

Cooks is immediately the most talented Patriots WR since Moss and is playing on a rookie contract with an affordable option for 2018. Timing is key here, as, by 2018, we are likely looking at the end of the run for Edelman and Gronk.

We are still sitting on around $25 million in cap room, with Amendola's cap hit still on the roster and Brady's extension forthcoming. A Hightower re-sign is quite possible, as long as a few other depth moves. We are still sitting on two blue chip assets in Butler and Garoppolo. Each is worth at least a high 1st round pick and maybe more, while Garoppolo just may be Brady's successor.

Essentially, the Patriots have build a superteam for 2017 while laying out the foundational pieces for the next era.

We are actually sitting on about $34-36M after all the moves including Branch. Thats enough to resign Hightower, and go after some more FAs and/or give extensions to Butler and/or Cooks.

EDIT: 34-36M is without Amendola Cut/Restructure, or any other cuts/restructures.

Last edited:
We are actually sitting on about $34-36M after all the moves including Branch. Thats enough to resign Hightower, and go after some more FAs and/or give extensions to Butler and/or Cooks.

Not counting any Amendola adjustment, be it cut or restructure, or a solder extension.

I'm seeing that Bennett signed for 3 years 18.5 million, whereas Dwayne Allen has 3 years, about 17.4 million left on his deal:

Dwayne Allen

One thing I suppose is that Bennett played through a lot of injuries and is 3 years older. Perhaps Belichick sees too much of a risk of a decline with Bennett whereas Dwayne Allen might have some upside and is in Belichick's opinion a fantastic blocker.

I'm seeing that Bennett signed for 3 years 18.5 million, whereas Dwayne Allen has 3 years, about 17.4 million left on his deal:

Dwayne Allen

One thing I suppose is that Bennett played through a lot of injuries and is 3 years older. Perhaps Belichick sees too much of a risk of a decline with Bennett whereas Dwayne Allen might have some upside and is in Belichick's opinion a fantastic blocker.

Rapoport reported the deal is actually 3 years 21 million, no incentives. Not a huge difference, I think Belechick may just like Allen more. Hes younger and more potential. Also a really nice, team first type of player.

These are exciting moves, but if we saw a fan of any other team making a thread like this about their team, all we would have to say is platitudes like "Take your offseason champion trophy, we just want rings@@@"

Rapoport reported the deal is actually 3 years 21 million, no incentives. Not a huge difference, I think Belechick may just like Allen more. Hes younger and more potential. Also a really nice, team first type of player.
I'd rather have Bennett but so be it.

BB might have some concerns about the Bennett's mileage which is fair

Right there with you, dude/dudette. Astonishingly good moves so far - after winning 2 of 3 super bowls, no less. We're spoiled beyond belief.

These are exciting moves, but if we saw a fan of any other team making a thread like this about their team, all we would have to say is platitudes like "Take your offseason champion trophy, we just want rings@@@"

So if they win the Super Bowl trophy and then win the offseason trophy is that good?:p

We'd say that to teams who have been doormats or don't have a foundation (see Jets, Dolphins, Bills, etc.) but if teams that were consistent contenders/coming off a Super Bowl win and loaded up their already stacked roster then I'm sure most would be a little concerned and not just making fun of their offseason champion trophy.

Yea if they resign Hightower its one of the best offseasons I've ever witnessed in any sport.

GM Belichick is simply amazing! The New England talent evaluation machine is tuned and running! I have NO IDEA how any of this will play out, but ... wow!

Given a very deep draft class and the uncontrollable realities of a competitive FA market, the Pats have apparently shifted their tactics a bit. As of the first two days of Free Agency, the BB has used top draft picks to acquire some very talented, young players that have proven track records in the NFL.

Meanwhile, the other 31 take their chances on unproven talent in the top two rounds of the draft.

As of this moment we still sit with several picks, albeit lower ones, having started with 9. We still have a decent amount of cap space left to address the middle class and possibly re-sign Hightower. I hope that Malcolm signs the tender and has another excellent season with us. What a secondary that would be!

Does Jimmy G stay or go? I haven't a clue. Either way, we appear to be in an enviable situation and it's only March! It sucks to be the other 31!

Acquiring Gilmore is a big plus. He is much better at playing man-to-man than Ryan, though not as sure a tackler. Last year, the Patriots, out of necessity, played a ton of zone. Now if they trade Butler, they lose a corner that is good playing man-to-man and would have to replace that. I hope they keep Butler too.

Branch and Harmon are really good players. Would have left a hole to fill. Chung is getting older. McCourty/Harmon play well together. Not sure if Richards can play at all. Ebner and King are purely ST players and you never want to see them playing safety. We still might need another safety.

I like Cooks. Teams that want to stifle our offense play tight man-to-man coverage with help, rush 3/4, drop 7/8. That was always Rex Ryan's blueprint. Denver's blueprint. And Atlanta did it too, surprisingly, since Dan Quinn came from Seattle and they play zone. Cooks runs 4.33, so good luck with that man-to-man. Gronk's health is also a big X factor as he is one key to beating man-to-man. I mean, who covers Gronk?

I really liked Bennett, but Allen is OK. I feel like it's a step down, but Allen is younger and has talent and might surprise us all.

I like Ealy, but only remember him from Super Bowl 50, where he had 3 sacks. He isn't THAT good. He replaces Sheard as a rotational player and we really only had Flowers and Ninkovich. I don't count Grissom as anything other than a ST player. And Ninkovich is really old and may have to move to LB. So, we needed 2 or 3 DE's, and got one.

We probably trade Garoppollo for picks. I think that they could find a few players in the later rounds, but if they got #12 and #33 as part of a package, then all of a sudden they would be back in business for the draft.

Greatest needs in draft: DE, RB, maybe ILB (Hightower?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3