PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First Let's Sign Our Own (we have 22 UFA's)

OL and DL are the foundations for a contending team. I would re-sign both Andrews and Thuney. They are the bedrocks and along with Wynn, will ensure a rock solid OL for next 5 years.
I would extend Guy for another 2 years, he has been outstanding.

White is easier to replace. Eluemenor sucks and is a JAG, replace with draft pick or undrafted free agent.

my 2 cents...

OL
Thuney- gone, will sign elsewhere
Andrews- most likely re-signed
Eluemunor-awful let him go
Ferentz-meh
Cannon [will likely retire]- I agree with you he will retire

RB
White- Tampa Bay is going to outbid the Pats for him
Burkhead-will be 31 coming off another injury, could be the end of the line for him

WR
Byrd- would like to see him back
Edelman- doubt he retires, too much fire and wont want to go out hurt, back on a one year deal

QB (consider them gone)
Newton- wouldnt be shocked if he is back, especially if the Pats plan on drafting a running QB of the future
Hoyer- has over 31 million in career earnings, will transition to the coaching staff

DL
Guy-need him back, might be expensive
Butler- ditto
Simon- useful player, should attempt to re-sign him
Wise- done
Davis-who?

LB
Calhoun-bye
Hightower [likely retiring]- maybe he comes back, can't see him going elsewhere

DB
Brooks- meh

J McCourty,D McCourty, Chung all three should retire, they are toast

Please, upgrade from Wise.
He’s a role player who’s been playing more than his role. He’s fine in his role but not who we’d like to have playing 40 snaps.

Everybody seems to assume that Thuney (and others) will be receiving big offers in free agency.

However, the salary cap in 2021 is $175 million, down from this year's $198 million. That is due to revenue losses in 2020, spread out over three seasons (2021-23). In other words, the lower cap is not just a one-time thing.

Granted teams can and will roll unused cap dollars over, but in my opinion there is going to be a lot more restraint in terms of spending. It has been standard operating procedure to construct contracts in a manner based on the assumption of healthy increases to the cap each and every year. The unexpected lower cap means many teams are going to sellers rather than buyers when it comes to free agency next spring.

While the Patriots have many positions in need of attention, they are also among the top teams in available 2021 cap dollars. They should be able to match any other team's offer to Thuney and still have plenty of room to maneuver if they so desire.

Lots of tough decisions coming up, glad I don't have to make them

Players To Sign:
Andrews - Shouldnt cost much to resign him, but they should also be trying to find his replacement for the future

Eluemunor - could keep him as swing tackle or something

Byrd - He's been developing and having some nice production at times this year despite the inept offense. There is a lot to build on there and it wouldnt break the bank to keep him. He could be a great #3-4 WR going forward.

Lawrence Guy - He has been one of the best defenders for us this year and easily our best defensive lineman. Need to figure out how to get him resigned

Butler - Would like to see him re-signed if the price is right, and it should be since the cap situation for most teams will be atrocious... and Butler hasnt done anything in this league to warrant a huge payday, but hes still a young developing defensive lineman that has potential

Simon - Has been playing ok in the defense this year, shouldnt cost a lot to resign him

Folk - Has been very solid this year, better than could be expected.. and has made a few clutch field goals, the latest being the go ahead game winner against Arizona this past weekend. Shouldnt cost anything outrageous to re-sign him, but we should still be bringing in a young kicker every year to challenge him in camp and hopefully eventually take his job

On The Fence:
James White - Awesome player for us, but hes getting up there in age and his cost may be high... I could see Tampa stealing him away as well to go play with Brady. Ultimately I think we could survive without him and go with some more youth

Newton - Really struggles as a passer compared to some of these other mobile guys. Thinking it would be better to go with a younger prospect, but I wouldn't be opposed to having Cam on a 1-2 year bridge deal. Not convinced that he's the future of this team that we could build around for at least the next 5 years.. if BB feels differently, maybe he extends him

Wise - Probably our best edge defender, but depending on what he demands in free agency he may not be worth keeping around. Ultimately how much money some team is willing to throw at him next year will decide if hes back with the team. Would like to upgrade at this position, but would like to have him still here as a solid starter and rotational guy

Joe Thuney - Would love to see him stay to help this offense and whatever QB they decide to stick back there, but ultimately it may be too tough to keep him and address other areas. Some promising young prospects on the roster like Onwenu that could fill in here, we survived losing Mankins and I think we could survive losing Thuney... but Thuney has been absolutely amazing, a solid rock on that line his entire career here.. I would have rather given him the big contract and let Shaq Mason walk, but cant reverse time

Let Walk:
Cannon - May retire, but I would let him walk either way.. hes been good when healthy, but is unreliable and inconsistent.. and we found his likely replacement already in Herron

Burkhead - Has been pretty solid, but often hurt and unreliable. Depending on what it would cost, we should probably keep either him or White on the roster until they feel comfortable with a younger prospect

Edelman - Could retire, could also see him try to go to Tampa for one last hurrah with Brady. Has been an absolute warrior for us, but hes up there in age and is starting to break down.. With Brady gone, as much as it hurts to say it, we should let Edelman walk and start focusing on the youth movement to the future. First ballot Patriot Hall of Famer, no doubt!

Davis - average player, could replace thru draft

Calhoun - average player, could replace thru draft

Brooks - average player, could replace thru draft

J McCourty - Was a solid DB for us, great acquisition.. but hes older and we have too many young guys on defense that need to be paid to tie up cap in an old dude like this

D McCourty - May be the year we have to transition away from Devin.. which is terrifying to think about, but its starting to get to that point.. not due to his lack of ability or play, but just because the cost, age and the cap situation pretty much demand it at this point. That would free up a lot of cash to get guys like JC Jackson and/or J Jones extended to keep young, talented guys in our secondary going forward

Chung - A super soldier for this team, and a Patriot hall of famer in my opinion (him going to Philly for a few years may hurt his chances). He is older and breaking down tho, and we have young guys who were waiting in the wings to replace his role.. guys like Dugger and hopefully J. Williams can help replace his production against TEs

Bethel - average player, could replace thru draft

Copeland - average player, could replace thru draft

and we need to absolutely hit the 2021 draft out of the park to ensure we can remain competitive going forward

Those names highlighted are the ones I want to re-sign immediately, though most of them are in the Only If the Price is Right category: Byrd, Butler, Wise, Folk, Bethel & Davis...Thuney (#1), Andrews, White & Guy are the Big Fish here...The rest (which sadly now includes Da Burkmeister) fall in the Thank You for Your Service category, but if they are willing to sign one-year, non-guaranteed, vet-minimum contracts then they are welcome to try to compete for backup spots (except for Thanksdad Ferentz, Terry Brooks & Chete Copeland; I want ALL 3 of them GONE)...
This year is going to be different than any other though because we have cap room to make changes. For 20 years it’s been tweaking the roster, backfilling and losing more than we gain of “name” guys because there has never been cap room (because we were the best team). This year there can be some remaking. I think the DL is a perfect example. We’ve build a dl around what we can afford hoping to fit them into what we want, and this year there is the opportunity to remake it.

Agreed, but I was simply implying that White would fit in TB in regards to Brady having a back he can trust, which would add another dynamic to the offense. They wouldn’t have to push the ball down the field every play (Arians..) Also, White would be closer to his family in FL.
I’m not sure Brady will be back.

Honestly, aside from the guys that might be too expensive(Thuney, DMac) I don't see a lot of names aside from james white that warrant signing.

Every year folks want to spend big on free agents on other teams. The first priority is ALWAYS to look to our own first. Otherwise, we will create holes. As always, I pre-sume he ERFA's will be back, at least for camp. Jackson (RFA) will be tagged at the highest level. He'll be back or we'll have a first to use.

OL
Thuney, Andrews, Eluemunor, Ferentz ]also Cannon will likely retire]

RB
White, Burkhead

WR
Byrd
[Edelman could retire]

QB (consider them gone)
Newton
Hoyer

DL
Guy, Butler, Simon, Wise, Davis

LB
Calhoun [Hightower is likely retiring]

DB
Brooks
J McCourty
[D McCourty could retire]
{Chung could retire]

ST
Folk
Bethel
Davis
Copeland

Almost any not signed would need to be replaced, and that would cost cap money, similar to re-signing.

BOTTOM LINE
We all want to add a QB, WR, TE, NT and LB (or two at each of these positions. The first issue is do our best at night creating holes by letting our FA's leave. After we finish making decisions on our re-signing our own, including money for the RFA's, there will be a lot less left than folks think is there.
I'm definitely signing the following:
Andrews
White
Byrd
Guy
Butler

I'm making good faith efforts to resign the following to slightly discounted deal, except for Thuney who I would hope to take a market deal, but with a team friendly structure.
Thuney
Elumaneur
Newton (if we don't move on with Stitham or FA or Draft choice)
WIse
Simon
JMcCourty (vet minimum only)
Folk
Bethal

Chung and Cannon are the only opt out I expect to retire.

With Rohrwasser still on the practice squad, is the assumption that he practices all this year and then is good enough to join the team in 2021?
The open question is whether he he is good enough for the 2021 53 or for the 2021 Practice Squad.

Honestly, aside from the guys that might be too expensive(Thuney, DMac) I don't see a lot of names aside from james white that warrant signing.
DMac isn't a free agent. JMac is a free agent.

Those names highlighted are the ones I want to re-sign immediately, though most of them are in the Only If the Price is Right category: Byrd, Butler, Wise, Folk, Bethel & Davis...Thuney (#1), Andrews, White & Guy are the Big Fish here...The rest (which sadly now includes Da Burkmeister) fall in the Thank You for Your Service category, but if they are willing to sign one-year, non-guaranteed, vet-minimum contracts then they are welcome to try to compete for backup spots (except for Thanksdad Ferentz, Terry Brooks & Chete Copeland; I want ALL 3 of them GONE)...
The issue with Thuney is whether a long term deal can be negotiated. I DON'T want him franchised, with the hope of signing later. That strategy failed this year. I understand that there were no WR's or DL's available for trade or signing for the $14M (???), but it would ahve been good to have the choice.

The issue is how much Thuney is worth to us, when this is one psoition that Belichick seems to be able to draft/trade and develop.

Have to hit free agency for a #1 WR and a TE upgrade.

DL needs some impact youth. Need a well rounded LB to replace Bentleys onetrickponiness. Find a RT in the mid rounds. Really like RB Larry Rountree from Mizzou to go with D. Harris. Also need a #2 corner to go with Jackson, as it seems Gilmore is out the door.

The only QB I’d target rather early is Mac Jones in round 2.

Why do they need to find a RT? They have Herron who has proven he can play there effectively. Herron can fill in at LT if needed, but he's better at RT.

Also, they still have Cajuste, though he may never play a snap due to his injury the way things are going.

The issue with Thuney is whether a long term deal can be negotiated. I DON'T want him franchised, with the hope of signing later. That strategy failed this year. I understand that there were no WR's or DL's available for trade or signing for the $14M (???), but it would ahve been good to have the choice.

The issue is how much Thuney is worth to us, when this is one psoition that Belichick seems to be able to draft/trade and develop.

Thuney has proven his worth to easily be the $14M he's being paid this year. Give him a 3 year deal that slots him in as the 6th highest paid Interior lineman. Whether you have him at Center or OG, he's proven worth the money.

Why do they need to find a RT? They have Herron who has proven he can play there effectively. Herron can fill in at LT if needed, but he's better at RT.

Also, they still have Cajuste, though he may never play a snap due to his injury the way things are going.
Like Herron a lot, just see him as more of a swing tackle. Like I said later on we could do a lot worse than him.

I think we resign a good bit of our free agents:

1.) Byrd
2.) newton
3.) guy
4.) butler
5.) wise
6.) davis
7.) simon
8.) folk

I would like us to resign thuney and Andrews, but I think bb let’s thuney walk and I hope for his future health, Andrews retires,

I think we resign a good bit of our free agents:

1.) Byrd
2.) newton
3.) guy
4.) butler
5.) wise
6.) davis
7.) simon
8.) folk

I would like us to resign thuney and Andrews, but I think bb let’s thuney walk and I hope for his future health, Andrews retires,
If Andrews does decide to retire, I vote we do resign Thuney. Move Mason to C and Onwenu to RG. Just another option.

If Andrews does decide to retire, I vote we do resign Thuney. Move Mason to C and Onwenu to RG. Just another option.

I am not so sure that mason can handle setting protections and making the line calls.

might be best to leave him where he is and draft ****erson, the center from Alabama.

I am not so sure that mason can handle setting protections and making the line calls.

might be best to leave him where he is and draft ****erson, the center from Alabama.

EcstaticAnchoredFlickertailsquirrel-small.gif

What happens with Gilmore. Is he in a Pats uni next year? If not, what can we realistically get for him?

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back