PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The complete and utter brilliance of this offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeing that Bennett signed for 3 years 18.5 million, whereas Dwayne Allen has 3 years, about 17.4 million left on his deal:

Dwayne Allen

One thing I suppose is that Bennett played through a lot of injuries and is 3 years older. Perhaps Belichick sees too much of a risk of a decline with Bennett whereas Dwayne Allen might have some upside and is in Belichick's opinion a fantastic blocker.

Don't forget, Allen is one of the best blocking TEs. (And he has good hands.) So, he's not just a blocker, but within that capacity, the Pats can do more. And, now, they have gone ahead an improved their overall offensive capacity by adding WRs et al. Ergo, Allen's role might be different from Bennett's, as the team/strategy has changed. Put simply, Allen is probably a better fit for this (new) role...still a TE, but one who does more of this, than that.

Brandon Marshall. Are we playing word association?
Signed with Giants. Is Devin Hester available and any gas in the tank?

Forgive the hyperbole. It's been a while since we won the offseason.

The transactions of the past 3 days, in my eyes, signal the most brilliant and fortuitous set of moves since 2001. Not only are we a Hightower re-signing and a few depth signings away from building a 2007-style superteam, but these moves set the stage for a smooth transition into the next era of this franchise. Consider the implications.

Allen is 80% the player that Bennett is at 67% the cost, and is much younger. He is locked up long term ensuring a smooth transition if/when Gronk's time comes. The trade cost equates to a high 6th round pick.

Gilmore is a superior athlete to Butler, and if not a superior player, he is at least on the same tier. Keep Butler around and we're looking at a secondary that rivals the Seattle and Denver groups of recent vintage. Trade Butler, and we're likely looking at a high 1st round pick.

Ealy is a cheap young player with a high ceiling. He will likely contribute more than any rookie in 2017. He could potentially replace Sheard's production at one tenth the cap cost. The trade cost equates to a mid 5th round pick.

Cooks is immediately the most talented Patriots WR since Moss and is playing on a rookie contract with an affordable option for 2018. Timing is key here, as, by 2018, we are likely looking at the end of the run for Edelman and Gronk.

We are still sitting on around $25 million in cap room, with Amendola's cap hit still on the roster and Brady's extension forthcoming. A Hightower re-sign is quite possible, as long as a few other depth moves. We are still sitting on two blue chip assets in Butler and Garoppolo. Each is worth at least a high 1st round pick and maybe more, while Garoppolo just may be Brady's successor.

Essentially, the Patriots have build a superteam for 2017 while laying out the foundational pieces for the next era.
Ok i agree they are all super additions but can they figure our complex offensive and defensive schemes? We ll see that in the middle in the season.

The transactions of the past 3 days, in my eyes, signal the most brilliant and fortuitous set of moves since 2001. Not only are we a Hightower re-signing and a few depth signings away from building a 2007-style superteam, but these moves set the stage for a smooth transition into the next era of this franchise. Consider the implications.

Allen is 80% the player that Bennett is at 67% the cost, and is much younger. He is locked up long term ensuring a smooth transition if/when Gronk's time comes. The trade cost equates to a high 6th round pick.

Gilmore is a superior athlete to Butler, and if not a superior player, he is at least on the same tier. Keep Butler around and we're looking at a secondary that rivals the Seattle and Denver groups of recent vintage. Trade Butler, and we're likely looking at a high 1st round pick.

Ealy is a cheap young player with a high ceiling. He will likely contribute more than any rookie in 2017. He could potentially replace Sheard's production at one tenth the cap cost. The trade cost equates to a mid 5th round pick.

Cooks is immediately the most talented Patriots WR since Moss and is playing on a rookie contract with an affordable option for 2018. Timing is key here, as, by 2018, we are likely looking at the end of the run for Edelman and Gronk.

We are still sitting on around $25 million in cap room, with Amendola's cap hit still on the roster and Brady's extension forthcoming. A Hightower re-sign is quite possible, as long as a few other depth moves. We are still sitting on two blue chip assets in Butler and Garoppolo. Each is worth at least a high 1st round pick and maybe more, while Garoppolo just may be Brady's successor.

Essentially, the Patriots have build a superteam for 2017 while laying out the foundational pieces for the next era.

There is a clear "win now" theme of this offseason and especially the draft maneuvering - getting proven players for questionable draft picks. With the cap space they have, the longer Hightower remains on the market the better I think for the chances he returns - and I'm hopeful that Butler will drop any demand for FA money when he's an RFA and accept a fair re-signing.

But MOST intriguing to me is how the Saints and Patriots are working together to show Goodell that not only does his "stolen" 4th round pick not adversely impact the Patriots - but both the Pats and the Saints can potentially benefit by it, with the Saints now knowing they can trade #118 down to #131, pick up extra picks in the process, and still consumate the trade with the Pats without any impact.

Patriots will lose the fourth-rounder they get from the Saints

So basically Belichick is thumbing his nose at Goodell by potentially gaining a 1st, 2nd or more for JG - only possible thanks to Roger showcasing JG's skills - and also helping out the Saints by letting them "use" their 4th rounder to gain additional picks before trading the "lost" pick to the Pats.

No one will ever confirm it, but if the scenario illustrated by Florio goes down, I think it has to be taken as an FU sent to Goodell by both Belichick and Peyton.

Am I the only one that's nervous about Gilmore? Other than revis and aqib Belichick failed the cb position . I still remember Leigh boddens of the world and including butt load of cb we picked in the drafts like Darius butler .. this position scares me .. specially that Gilmore is getting 14 mil a year.. and he can't tackle?? That's scary .. I just don't want this to be like rosevelt Colvins and adalius thomas .. free agents who we coveted and failed.

Am I the only one that's nervous about Gilmore? Other than revis and aqib Belichick failed the cb position . I still remember Leigh boddens of the world and including butt load of cb we picked in the drafts like Darius butler .. this position scares me .. specially that Gilmore is getting 14 mil a year.. and he can't tackle?? That's scary .. I just don't want this to be like rosevelt Colvins and adalius thomas .. free agents who we coveted and failed.

I just don't get why we just don't pay butler over Gilmore .. I rather have butler

I agree with this, but just to play devil's advocate...

The way things stand right now, everything is on Brady--especially if we do deal JG. Of course he's no ordinary 40 year old, but still. He could fall off a cliff or get hurt, and we're screwed.

The way to beat this team is to get to Brady. That's what Atlanta did for near three quarters. That's what Houston did. That's what Denver did in 2015/2016.

Nothing we have done so far changes that. Blount is in the wind, and he faded last year anyhow. Our RBs are all fantastic pass catchers, but we don't have a Corey Dillon (or Stevan Ridley, to be more recent) who could conceivably win a game for us if Brady is ineffective.

We also haven't beefed up the O-line.

They're not done yet, and it's not like gaining Cooks precludes them from doing any of these other things.

Still though, I think we ought to focus on building a dependable, non-matchup-dependent ground game.

I just don't get why we just don't pay butler over Gilmore .. I rather have butler
How do you know Butler didn't hold out for more money than Gilmore got?

How do you know Butler didn't hold out for more money than Gilmore got?
Gilmore is the 4th highest paid cb right now.. you're implying that butler wanted top 3 money?? Undrafted free agent who has 2 season under his belt? I don't know.. maybe .. but nah I don't think so

Gilmore is the 4th highest paid cb right now.. you're implying that butler wanted top 3 money?? Undrafted free agent who has 2 season under his belt? I don't know.. maybe .. but nah I don't think so

Well that is what a CB like Gilmore cost these days. Butler getting top 3 this year if he was an UFA would not be out of line.

i love Butler as much as the next guy...but Butler is not a shutdown corner in the likes of young Revis/Sherman, etc

butler loses his man too often compared to those, and also falls for double moves too often compared to them...

i always did and still want butler on a long term deal, bc he is indeed elite, and prob top 15 in league...but not shut down

you DO have to worry about him, can't just give him a guy and say you never have to think about it agian...but he wants shut down corner money so it wont work...also his size doesn't help him...cant coach size

i love Butler as much as the next guy...but Butler is not a shutdown corner in the likes of young Revis/Sherman, etc

butler loses his man too often compared to those, and also falls for double moves too often compared to them...

i always did and still want butler on a long term deal, bc he is indeed elite, and prob top 15 in league...but not shut down

you DO have to worry about him, can't just give him a guy and say you never have to think about it agian...but he wants shut down corner money so it wont work...also his size doesn't help him...cant coach size

Can't coach size, well said.

Blount instagramed a picture of himself yesterday in a Pats jersey with "home team" tagging the picture.

That and it being Hightower's birthday today could mean today we'll get two more pieces of the puzzle in place today. Fingers crossed.

Blount instagramed a picture of himself yesterday in a Pats jersey with "home team" tagging the picture.

That and it being Hightower's birthday today could mean today we'll get two more pieces of the puzzle in place today. Fingers crossed.

Unlike Hightower, I don't see losing Blount as such a big loss were he to leave. Or am I missing something?

Unlike Hightower, I don't see losing Blount as such a big loss were he to leave. Or am I missing something?

Aside from the fact that we're missing a bigger RB currently no. It would just be nice to have another level of uncertainty made clearer is all.

Aside from the fact that we're missing a bigger RB currently no. It would just be nice to have another level of uncertainty made clearer is all.

I'm hoping to bring him back while also drafting a bigger rb around the third round. Blount is getting up there in years and didn't have a proper back up for him last year. We got lucky last year, the year before we had to dig Stephen Jackson off the scrap heap when Blount got hurt. I think he'll be back. Teams aren't going to forget his attitude problems in Tampa Bay and Pitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3