PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather and the Return of the Swagger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Meriweather stays the course frankly. But I do wish Meriweather would take a course on how to aim better from here on out while, at the same time, hope that his aim trajectory doesn't end up being wrong because his intended target decides to move while Meriweather is in mid flight. :rolleyes:

Meriweather is dumb as a rock. Still can't believe BB drafted him.

I also seem to remember BB making his feelings known on the whole notion of "swagger" in a passage in Patriot Reign. And they weren't positive. "Swagger" is a concept I bet Rex Ryan values pretty highly though.

If the JETS do well (may Allah strike me) I expect a mass exodous of testosterone poisoned fanboys from here to the Dark Side. Not the worst thing that could happen.

Meriweather is dumb as a rock. Still can't believe BB drafted him.
Yeah but i want that dumb rock out on the field. i like his aggressiveness, and his attitude. I just want him to aim LOWER and Cleaner. Can it be that hard for him to funnel it from head hunting? Maybe if he sits on the bench for a couple of games he'll get it.

Last edited:
I can understand both sides to this debate.

I certainly didn't like seeing Wes Welker get clocked in the head and thought the fine for that hit was way to low. It is hard for me to complain about that hit and not think the hit from BM was a blatant penalty.

However, there is no question that many of the best safety's and d-backs (Rodney H, Ronnie Lott, etc.) developed reputations for questionable hits that were not different than the one BM delivered in the ravens game and the one Welker took in the Jets game. Recievers knew when they went across the middle on those guys, they were at a real risk to get blasted. Many good recievers had thier heads on a swivel and developed aligator arms against those guys. I think that the reputation those hits earned was worth a few fines and the yards they cost in penalties, provided the penalites were not taken at the wrong times. Look at the best defenses right now - Steelers, Jets and Ravens. There are definitely headhunters on those teams defenses.

In the end times and the game is changing and the players should be protected. As long as the rules are applied even handedly the Pats will adjust.

Yeah but i want that dumb rock out on the field. i like his aggressiveness, and his attitude. I just want him to aim LOWER and Cleaner. Can it be that hard for him to funnel it from head hunting? Maybe if he sits on the bench for a couple of games he'll get it.

Hopefully it won't take that. BB seems a bit exasperated with his play this year. Been in the league and with the team long enough to 'get it'.

Hopefully it won't take that. BB seems a bit exasperated with his play this year. Been in the league and with the team long enough to 'get it'.
Meriweathers acting like hes a rookie instead of this being his Fourth year. I don't know what happened to him, but he didn't act like this last year. Maybe because he made it to the Pro Bowl he thinks he knows it all, he can do things His way. I hope he straightens out and fly's right....soon.

Last edited:
Keep poppin heads like your poppin bottles at the club BM...

Meriweathers acting like hes a rookie instead of this being his Fourth year. I don't know what happened to him, but he didn't act like this last year. Maybe because he made it to the Pro Bowl he thinks he knows it all.

That's the crux of his problem, immaturity. Hopefully he has some connection to certain elder ex-Pats who can help him deal with this. He doesn't seem to be listening to his coaches. :mad:

swagger is different than dirty and stupid . Honestly I doubt guys like Gates are afraid of a CBsize safety that can only bting cheap shots like that.

swagger is different than dirty and stupid . Honestly I doubt guys like Gates are afraid of a CBsize safety that can only bting cheap shots like that.

Thanks for coming in and contributing so greatly. Got any other gems to drop? Maybe some that this time don't make people think you're drunk while posting?

Are you aware that Meriweather is essentially the same size as Reed and Polamalu?

I miss the days when we used to put a "bounty" on the heads of opposing players we hated. Of course, this was unreported in the press.

What I want to know is, where were all the mediots who are now on the "anti violence" bandwagon when Tom Jackson was running his weekly "Jacked Up" segment on Monday Night Countdown, celebrating the most vicious hits of the week. You remember how the group of morons around the table would shout "He got J-a-c-k-e-d U-p."

God, I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning...it smells like...like ESPN.

Last edited:
Merriweather is the Bethel Johnson of the defense. He keeps screwing up.

After Brady got hit, BB said that he tells his players to hit below the head and above the knees.

Merriweather is the Bethel Johnson of the defense. He keeps screwing up.

After Brady got hit, BB said that he tells his players to hit below the head and above the knees.

What does BB know? He's not a Jacked Up Internet tough guy fanboy!

I've made my strong feelings in defense of Meriweather known in the 'fine' thread, but to build on what Vince Wilfork said, that the team 'woke up' after the hit . . . I remember the days in 2005 (after Rodney went down in Pittsburgh) when Asante complained publicly that 'no one fears going across the middle' anymore.

QB12,

you are not making yourself look good in this thread or the other one. BM is actually a pretty poor tackler. He doesn't understand the concept of wrapping up and is constantly leaving his feet in an attempt to launch himself at receivers. I'm sure he didn't mean to hit Heap helmet to helmet, but he did not make a good play on that ball. As a matter of fact, if he was playing the ball on that play instead of head-hunting, he could have had a pick because the ball was way overthrown.

If you want to set an example of a guy making a great hit, look at Chung breaking up the pass to Mason in the endzone. That was a pass over the middle and Chung hammered him with his shoulder and without launching himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes