PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the start of the second half edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I felt that the 2nd down Brady sneak was likewise a burn-the-time play. The thing I wondered about is, if they had gotten the TD would Belichick have attempted the 2pt conversion and end the game right there?
no way..was like 20 seconds left...

no way..was like 20 seconds left...
The play started with 37 seconds left on the clock after Seattle had called TO after the first sneak. And then when Brady recovered the fumble they didn't immediately call TO but let the clock go down to 19 seconds first.

Thank you, Ken -- excellent comments, as usual. I agree that the game was pretty well officiated and the right team won, and I think your observation about the D is dead-on. They didn't seem decisive and co-ordinated (McLellin looked lost).

(Isn't it around this time that you ask why, with a 39-year-old QB who is a great judge of formations, McD doesn't just put him in the pistol and run the no-huddle?)

The play started with 37 seconds left on the clock after Seattle had called TO after the first sneak. And then when Brady recovered the fumble they didn't immediately call TO but let the clock go down to 19 seconds first.
there was zero chance they were killing clock on the 2nd sneak. It was third down, with 30 seconds or so to go...do you really think they would leave it all up to a 4th down play?...Absolutely no way.

edit-play started with 19 seconds left

Put me in the run the ball with Blount camp. And of course, the defense was terrible. If people want to make comparisons to how much the Seahawks defense let up.....well, the Patriots offense is not the Seahawks offense. Not even close.

Reading this board this morning and all the lamenting of how bad our D was, the stats for the Pats was just about the same as the Seahawks.. so did the Seahawks also have a bad defense also?? Listening to Collinsworth one might have thought they were the greatest D of all time.

SEA D was playing one of the best offenses in the league.
NE D was playing one of the worst offenses in the league.

Prosise 87 receiving yards was the difference

I agree Ken, if it was reversed and one of our DBs got called for DPI on Graham in the exact same way with the game on the line, this board would have gone absolutely insane. So be it if I'm in the minority but that was very much a no call.
Gotta disagree. What I ask myself is, if the Pats were on defense and trying to prevent a comeback would they get the benefit of a no-call? I've got little question the Patriots defender would be flagged on that exact play.

Great, entertaining game but with the wrong result. Seattle played mistake-free ball; we did not.

IMO: The OLine played very well, Blount was inspired, and Brady had his moments. It seemed that they picked up their physicality midway through the third quarter and played with intensity. Unfortunately the Offense was careless. My hat is off to that excellent Seahawk ball-hawking defense.

Our Defense looked confused and flat. Wilson calmly and methodically exploited us when it mattered. He is currently the only opponent QB that scares me (now that PM is gone).

Most importantly, I thought we were out-coached, victims of over-thinking, perhaps?

I lament that until last night, the competition hasn't been tough enough this season for us to properly prepare for the playoffs. Hopefully, we will learn from this one and get better.

... or we'll see teams (provided they have the talent) stress the Patriots D like Seattle did.
that's the key. Most can't because they don't have Wilson. If you were paying attention he was the reason the Pats were victimized by those little lob passes. Defenders caught in no man's land coming off the receiver trying to protect against Wilson running it and then having him drop it over their head. Not many QBs who can do that, thank goodness.

You were just making a case weeks ago about how the defense was great because points, in your words, are the be-all, end-all. So, while the analysis is great, it's curious seeing you begin to include other measurements.

This team got scared at the end and that cost them at least the chance for overtime. The entire goalline series was fear personified. We always say you cannot play not to lose. You play to win and we did exactly opposite and played not to lose. They were so concerned about what Seattle might do if they got the ball back with 30-20 seconds left on the clock they shot themselves in the foot. Wasting a down just to bleed the clock is monumentally playing afraid and it cost them a chance at the game. The defense deserves some of the blame for letting Seattle walk all over them but when you have an opportunity to score you score. Stop getting cute.

there was zero chance they were killing clock on the 2nd sneak. It was third down, with 30 seconds or so to go...do you really think they would leave it all up to a 4th down play?...Absolutely no way.

edit-play started with 19 seconds left
You are confusing something. They sneaked Brady on 1st and 2nd down. The 3rd down play with 19 seconds to go was the hand-off to Blount.

Gotta disagree. What I ask myself is, if the Pats were on defense and trying to prevent a comeback would they get the benefit of a no-call? I've got little question the Patriots defender would be flagged on that exact play.

But that's not the point. Expecting bad calls against us doesn't justify making bad calls for us.

And if it were so obvious we would have gotten the call against us, why didn't they throw the flag on White for picking Sherman on that drive, even though it was clearly the correct no call?

We're on to San Francisco.

We were too clock conscious down there, and way too slow doing everything. We had them on the ropes, and against that D, you only concern yourself with getting into the EZ. The best way to do that would have been quick pace no huddle boom boom boom, and punch it there whether you leave a minute on the clock on not.

Ball got tipped at the LOS. He wasn't affected by the earlier hit, Gronk's not as soft as you may think.

Who said anything about Gronk being soft? Don't put words in my mouth. I'm aware that hit would have ended the night for most players, and that's my point. Seattle made those hits all night long. I'm aware the ball was tipped, but it was still catchable. We'll never know if Gronk heard footsteps, but with his great hands I believe he catches that ball most of the time.

They...they already played Pitt this year and won.

Really? Are we really digging this up again? You're delusional if you believe a healthy Ben Roethlisberger instead of Landry Jones doesn't shred this defense. Do you even watch the games?

I'm aware the ball was tipped, but it was still catchable. We'll never know if Gronk heard footsteps, but with his great hands I believe he catches that ball most of the time.
He doesn't catch that most of the time. It was a wobbling ball that went behind him. He had to readjust on the fly on a short-intermediate throw, that's extremely tough. I bet if Collinsworth hadn't planted that thought you wouldn't be assuming that Gronk was hearing footsteps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes