PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Media's bizarre deification of Peyton Manning continues

you're right...Peytie is wonderful and smart and great and always right and such a superstar of all stars...just ask him.

There's actually a post itt that claims David Ortiz and Ray Lewis deserve it more than Peyton Manning. True story.

If this is the door prize in lieu of something Super Bowl related, preferably after a one-and-done playoff exit, then I'm all for it.

The *********** continues...

At least Wikipedia got the description right...

AJ1UP7W.png

you're right...Peytie is wonderful and smart and great and always right and such a superstar of all stars...just ask him.

And if anybody doesn't like it, you can stick it where the sun don't shine...

:bricks:

David Ortiz
LeBron James
Mariano Rivera

Off the top of my head, any one of them deserve it over 4Head

Heh...pizza salesman :D

Surprised it wasn't someone like Mo Rivera, to be honest. He was given a ton of media admiration during the season (deserved, in my opinion) and I don't remember a lot (if any) negative press over his career while being the best at his position of all time. I know it's closer vs. positions that have more physical wear and tear, but still. Would kill me somewhere inside to see a Yank get it, but if it had to be one I would go with the sandman.

Ortiz would be a great choice too, and Ray.

Mariano Rivera. Indisputably the best ever at his position. Never a whiff of off-field issues.

I'm a dyed-in-the-red-wool Red Sox fan, but if Rivera got it, I'd cheer.

David Ortiz. He put the team on his old shoulders and carried them through the playoffs. One of the all-time great post-season performances. The new Mr. October.

Ray Lewis. Can't stand him, but it is what it is.

I don't hate Peyton at all. Consider him one of the best ever. But why? For what? If the donkeys go on and win the Superbowl and Manning is NFL MVP and Superbowl MVP, then okay - for 2014.

Mariano Rivera. Indisputably the best ever at his position. Never a whiff of off-field issues.

I'm a dyed-in-the-red-wool Red Sox fan, but if Rivera got it, I'd cheer.

David Ortiz. He put the team on his old shoulders and carried them through the playoffs. One of the all-time great post-season performances. The new Mr. October.

Ray Lewis. Can't stand him, but it is what it is.

I don't hate Peyton at all. Consider him one of the best ever. But why? For what? If the donkeys go on and win the Superbowl and Manning is NFL MVP and Superbowl MVP, then okay - for 2014.

Agree completely. Peter King admitted this is nothing more than a lifetime achievement award for Manning. If that is the criteria then Mariano Rivera is far more deserving that Manning. Rivera is the best ever at his position and played a major role in winning multiple championships.
Then again Rivera is Panamanian and Peyton Manning is an awww shucks pizza salesman from N'Orleans

Is this the same media that keeps telling us Tony Romo is an elite QB?

David Ortiz, Lebron James, Ray Lewis all deserve it more than Satan Manning

Ray Lewis?

When I think of the word Sportsman, neither the Forehead nor the Murderer come to mind.

Sports Illustrated names Peyton Manning Sportsman of the Year | ProFootballTalk

In announcing Manning’s selection, Sports Illustrated noted both his outstanding 2013 season and the way he connects with football fans — and has connected with fans for two decades, since he was a college star at Tennessee.

WTF.....

Totally WTF. Just saw this on MMQB:

Many have asked about the decision to pick Peyton Manning over the many qualified others: David Ortiz/Boston Strong, Mariano Rivera, A.J. McCarron, Jimmie Johnson, Phil Mickelson … and I’m sure I am leaving out many.

Right. So Manning throwing soft passes to a great receiving corps in the regular season and piling up stats, and winning no playoff games, "connects" with fans through ... Papa John's commercials?

Meanwhile Ortiz helps lead a major American city and region after an unprecedented terror attack at its signature event, then leads his teammate to a championship that no one saw coming and that team continues to help the healing right up through its championship parade. And oh yeah, he had some pretty clutch moments on the field too.

I mean come on. Wrong sportsman, wrong year, SI.

They should rename the award Statsman of the Year in this case.

Totally WTF. Just saw this on MMQB:

Right. So Manning throwing soft passes to a great receiving corps in the regular season and piling up stats, and winning no playoff games, "connects" with fans through ... Papa John's commercials?

Meanwhile Ortiz helps lead a major American city and region after an unprecedented terror attack at its signature event, then leads his teammate to a championship that no one saw coming and that team continues to help the healing right up through its championship parade. And oh yeah, he had some pretty clutch moments on the field too.

I mean come on. Wrong sportsman, wrong year, SI.

They should rename the award Statsman of the Year in this case.

200x200px_ZC_5229ec13_slow_clap_gif.gif

That case for Ortiz alone should have clinched it.

I would have been satisfied with Rivera as well if they're giving out Lifetime Achievement awards. Hell, even Sox fans respect him. He might be the last athlete to ever transcend rivalries and media scrutiny.

The award is a posturing for future interviews and if he wins the SB more access and more stories. Nothing is without a reason. Manning's only accimplishment is that he came back from surgery and played...so he is sportsman of the year. Nadal is more deserving as are host of other worldly players.

Again, I don't say it is right, but that is probably why he won. Who cares? It is an award put out by a magazine and it means absolutely nothing to the regular season, playoffs, or Super Bowl. It is just another trophy not named Lombardi that Peyton can put on his shelf.

I will never understand that narrative like the guy never won one. I know it absolutely pains you guys to think about it, but the guy has a Lombardi trophy already on that shelf, with a Super Bowl MVP award. He won it all, did it all, nothing you say or think can change that.

The other thing, he always says those things doesn't mean that much to him, it's an honor, but he would rather win another Super Bowl. He has the same mentality as Brady, yet you guys always imply that he just wants those meaningless individual awards (which are of course not meaningless when Brady wins it), and not the big one, and that's just not true.

I will never understand that narrative like the guy never won one. I know it absolutely pains you guys to think about it, but the guy has a Lombardi trophy already on that shelf, with a Super Bowl MVP award. He won it all, did it all, nothing you say or think can change that.

The other thing, he always says those things doesn't mean that much to him, it's an honor, but he would rather win another Super Bowl. He has the same mentality as Brady, yet you guys always imply that he just wants those meaningless individual awards (which are of course not meaningless when Brady wins it), and not the big one, and that's just not true.

As I wrote before, its not manning the player but the attention he gets and how he and his family manipulate the media as the good guys of the nfl , and never get any stick for anything which pisses me off. He has no reason to be the sportsperson this yr. Even in 2008 I believe they gave him the MVP by default because no one was good. They cant wait to give him an award or crown him. They wanted to call him the GREATEST to ever play the game before the Saints SB which he lost and now they are doing it again. When he loses, all these media member remember that there is a thing called defense or offensive line or other such things. Heck, Why is the manning/brady rivalry a rivalry ? Because manning is not 10-4 vs brady. If this was flipped and he was 10-4 with 3 SBs no one would call him a rival of brady or give the same atten to brady.

This is same with favre . Manning is much better than favre but the deification is the same . And make no mistake, he and his dad and everyone knows how to make friends with the media.

Thread title should be "Pats Fans Bizarre Fascination of Peyton Manning continues..."

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back