PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Media's bizarre deification of Peyton Manning continues

SI is going to name the Holy One Sportsman of the Year.
Did I miss something??? Did his Lordship actually win something??
He last won a playoff game in January 2010... I thought it was a battle between LeBron and Ortiz who carried a city and a team and personified "Sportsman"

People still get SI? Have they heard of the Internet? It has more sports articles for the price of free.

Is this the same media that keeps telling us Tony Romo is an elite QB?
Along with Eli. After all, you can't spell eliminated without Eli...

The reason Peyton is loved by the media is because he played his career in a small-town (underdog) type of city and he's ugly.

Brady plays in a major market and married a supermodel, he should be revered, but when you have overweight jealous writers they'll go with the lesser guy

200x200px_ZC_5229ec13_slow_clap_gif.gif

That case for Ortiz alone should have clinched it.

What case? That the Sportsman of the Year award goes to a PED user?

In announcing Manning’s selection, Sports Illustrated noted both his outstanding 2013 season and the way he connects with football fans — and has connected with fans for two decades, since he was a college star at Tennessee.
So then they've turned Sportsman of the Year into another "regular" season award?

What case? That the Sportsman of the Year award goes to a PED user?
Tom Verducci at SI.com makes a compelling case for Ortiz, certainly a better one than anyone, including Peter Dink, has made for The Goathead.

The reason Peyton is loved by the media is because he played his career in a small-town (underdog) type of city and he's ugly.

That's an understatement. He looks like he eats crayons.

SI is going to name the Holy One Sportsman of the Year.
Did I miss something??? Did his Lordship actually win something??

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy SI.

you're right...Peytie is wonderful and smart and great and always right and such a superstar of all stars...just ask him.

Well, golly gee there, fella. Hold yer horses! Peyton is a good ol' boy, don'tcha know. Shucks, he's as American as football and apple pie. Plus, he makes some mighty fine commercials ... Some o' dem are downright hi-lar-ious! Like, when he tosses dat pizza pie dough like a dern football! HAAAAAARRRRR!!! Mabel and the kids an' me, we laughed and laughed for days when we saw it! Dem der are jus' a few reasons we love our Peyton. He's a humble feller, too. Just ask him.

Patriot fans' bizarre hatred/jealousy/insecurity of Peyton Manning continues

I am not jealous of a QB that chokes in big games or needs his defense to carry him to his 1 SB title.

I don't think we have anything to be jealous/insecure about. Playing Peyton Manning quarterbacked teams is an almost guaranteed victory for us based on historical data.

The *********** continues...

I caught part of the NFLN Top 10 series episode on "Quarterback Seasons" last week. They had Brady '07 at 5, Manning '04 at 4. On the Brady segment they show all the '07 magic and build the case but make sure to make way for the dissenters. On comes Boomer Esiaison, ranting about how Brady didn't finish the job (ie win the Super Bowl).

Cut to no. 4 -- Manning 2004. You know, QB of the Colts team that couldn't even get a first-round bye then lost in the Division Round in the playoffs. Yeah, guess he finished whatever his job was.

(Also the commentators made sure to go on about how in '07 Brady benefitted from new rules making it easier to amass passing stats. Um, weren't those rules relaxed specifically FOR PEYTON MANNING BEFORE THE 2004 SEASON???)

Feel free to explain to me how Manning is more deserving than any number of professional sportsmen who have won things in 2013 and are active members in the community. Apparently, this is the method of award this year.

People in here need to relax. Sportsman of the Year is oftentimes as much of a career achievement as it is based on the specific year in question.

Payton Manning is rewriting the record books with his performance this year. I have no problem with this selection. Actually, I consider it well deserved.

Brady plays in a major market and married a supermodel, he should be revered, but when you have overweight jealous writers they'll go with the lesser guy
Uh, you do realize that Brady won it something like 8 or 9 years ago, right?

People in here need to relax. Sportsman of the Year is oftentimes as much of a career achievement as it is based on the specific year in question.

Payton Manning is rewriting the record books with his performance this year. I have no problem with this selection. Actually, I consider it well deserved.
I have to agree in general principle. Also, the award being as arbitrary as all hell, I feel silly commenting or caring at all. That being said, I think there are a couple of other remarkable candidates that have been mentioned (Ortiz/Boston Strong, Mariano Rivera) that are clearly superior to Manning even in such an arbitrary context. He's having a great year, no doubt, but if it's about performance and enduring hardship or odds to have a great year, then that's Ortiz/Boston. If it's about career achievement, that's Rivera. When Manning's career is over, he can gather career achievement awards. All in all this decision just seems weird. He hasn't even broken his personal record for TDs yet.

Feel free to explain to me how Manning is more deserving than any number of professional sportsmen who have won things in 2013 and are active members in the community. Apparently, this is the method of award this year.

I don't really want to pump up Manning because it would make me nauseous. I hate him like the rest of you, but I'm not going to act like he isn't one of the greatest ever and not in the midst of one of the greatest seasons ever at age 37. Let's just summarize it like this: if you think Tom Brady is the best QB of all-time, than this formula applies to Peyton Manning (The Greatest QB of All-Time) * (.95).

Hasn't won anything? Tom Brady hasn't won anything since the Pats lost the best front 7 in the game, and the postseason is all about the pass rush. Besides, Brett Favre won Sportsman of the Year in 2007 although he hadn't won a SB since 1996.

The only award David Ortiz deserves is PED Athlete of the Year. If it weren't for A-Rod he would be the biggest phony in professional sports.The fact that he actually called for lifetime ban for any PED users when he was doing them the entire time makes him the biggest hypocrite of any athlete I have ever seen. I can't stand the guy.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back