PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty to stay with Patriots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be crazy what In the world is SF planning.

Certainly looks like James is going to Tampa. Jason Braddock is reporting that 49ers have put Kaepernick on the block so any team trading down with the Iggles could still get their QB with their nice new bounty of draft picks and still come out ahead. Have no idea what the 49ers are planning to do at QB though.
Kaep is so bad, his first year was a fluke. That terrible secondary we had is the reason they beat us at Foxborough that year. 49ers definitely need a QB, too bad they can't have their hometown boy Brady huh? :p

Yeah its not like there's a cap or anything.

The Patriots are going to free up money through Darrelle Revis either way.

Either they refuse to pick up the 2nd yr option and he moves on (saves 20m dollars), or they reach an extension (saves approx. 10m dollars).

The first year cap hit for Devin McCourty is likely structured to be 1/2 of what the franchise tag was, or at least no more than 60 percent.

I'd buy that. Team solidified with proven starters and gamble away picks on Mariota fitting into the system. What Chip does in Philly almost seems as if he's in a different league to the other 31 teams playing a different way. Mariota could only be successful year one in his offense and no where else IMO. Jameis is going to make Cam's rookie year look silly too. He's got Evans and VJax to throw to and they'll get some more weapons for him too.

Assuming he actually makes it onto the field for 16 games.

Kaep is so bad, his first year was a fluke. That terrible secondary we had is the reason they beat us at Foxborough that year. 49ers definitely need a QB, too bad they can't have their hometown boy Brady huh? :p

I wonder if he's coming to Buffalo - I don't know if they have the cap space and they don't have a first rounder to trade for him. I have no idea what the 49ers will do for a QB.

I think Foles will either be a Jet or Niner.
How about this Kap to the Jets would be perfect for Gaileys offense.
Cutler to the Niners or Titans.
Foles to the Bears.
Would be very interesting.

While I expect to be wrong on signing bonus amount +exact yearly salary nos, I am confident in my 3 year cash total, roster bonus amounts + backloaded structure.
mccourtydeal.png

Assuming he actually makes it onto the Fields for 16 games.
Don't see why he shouldn't. His arm is a rocket, so accurate from the pocket but as usual the media want to paint him as an anti-Andrew Luck because he's a black QB. Sick of the notion that just because a QB is black he must be a 'run first guy'. They did it with RG3 too and still do it with Russell Wilson. Winston couldn't be further from that.

ESPN is the first to over-hype racial headlines but never does anything to try and solve the root of the problem: themselves. Same thing with 'deflategate', just because it was the Pats it's a big deal to them and their scummy analysts. I digress though.

I really hate to say this, but I think Revis is gone. He has his sb now and I think this satisfied him for awhile. Just speculation but I'm not confident Revis will be back

Reports are it's down to NE or the jests. jests will be more money but how much more is the question. And I wouldn't be too sure he is statisfied with just one ring. Deion and Ty don't have just one ring. Who at this moment gives him the best chance?

Also McCourty coming back can only help.

While I expect to be wrong on signing bonus amount +exact yearly salary nos, I am confident in my 3 year cash total, roster bonus amounts + backloaded structure.
mccourtydeal.png

Thanks, Miquel. That looks like a pretty good estimate. Do you figure that the "leaked" guarantees included 2016 becoming guaranteed if he's on the roster the last day of 2015 or some such thing?

Thanks, Miquel. That looks like a pretty good estimate. Do you figure that the "leaked" guarantees included 2016 becoming guaranteed if he's on the roster the last day of 2015 or some such thing?

It really sounds as if the $28.5M reported is simply the sum of signing bonus and 2015-2017 salaries.
The 2017 salary might only be guaranteed for injury or if McCourty is on the roster at the end of 2015.

One thing I thought was telling about this story is how BB upped his offer in the end to keep him. Was not the highest but got close enough.

This tells me he might do the same with Revis and up his offer to "just close enough" if need be. I think BB wants to keep this D together and is willing to worry about everything else after that. If so that is 100% the correct call IMO.

It really sounds as if the $28.5M reported is simply the sum of signing bonus and 2015-2017 salaries.

That adds up and makes sense in light of the way the Pats have been structuring these contracts lately. Semi-guaranteed! :)

While I expect to be wrong on signing bonus amount +exact yearly salary nos, I am confident in my 3 year cash total, roster bonus amounts + backloaded structure.Z
mccourtydeal.png
If your estimate is correct, Miguel, that would make the first 2 years of his contract pretty comfortable. After that I would expect to see a series or restructures where turning salary into bonus money and extending a year. Am I correct in thinking that could be a long term strategy which would keep McCourty's cap number reasonable during the last 3 years of his contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe