PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty to stay with Patriots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per Miguel--Jamie Collins cannot be extended this year via rules from the CBA.

For crying out loud, he's less than 2 full years into his rookie deal. We have other much more pressing issues coming up with Solder, along with decisions on the 5th year options in the future for Chandler Jones and Hightower--and that's not even bringing this current year into the equation with many important players such as Revis, etc.
Oh i know but i just think we've hit on a talent that is going to be HOF at this rate. His improvement week on week is staggering. I never see Collins have a worse game than the previous one, it's always either as good or better.

Collins should be locked up ASAP, in 2 years i guarantee you he's seen as the best LB in the league. His rise is just phenomenal and i don't even know where his peak will be. Expect to see plays like the one Lynch had on him at the end of the SB to be eradicated because he's a smart dude too and learns very quickly.

We have wayyyy bigger fish to fry this year...he can be next year's goal

A top-notch FS of course makes everyone better but in particular this is tremendous news for Brandon Browner, who I think would become a liability without a true sideline-to-sideline centerfielder behind him.

Absolutely. Outside of hearing from the parties themselves, the team keeping Browner (so far) and re-signing Chung is the biggest reason to expect the team to be keeping Revis and McCourty. The first pair are major liabilities without the second pair.

A big thing to consider in keeping McCourty is that his range lets the D play so much single high safety coverage, which in turn frees up Chung to do the things he's good at. With a lesser FS, he would be forced back into doing a lot more of the things he's terrible at.

Look at Gronk's hits the next 3 years, $8.6, $6.6, and $7m. Not to mention a $5.4m cap hit this past year If he stays healthy and doesn't let Rosenhaus talk him into a holdout Belichick was brilliant with that deal.

“The Human Gargoyle” invests his salary in tax-free municipal bonds, because his father insists all his sons do that. He lives off money from endorsements and appearances and freebies. (Who needs two iPhones?)

http://www.sportsbusinessnews.com/content/sports-illustrated-spotlights-rob-gronkowski

Speaking of players that are a liability I wouldnt mind kicking the tires on Troy Polamalu

Another thing, even tv analysts who genuinely have disdain for the Pats can't stop salivating over Collins. Not seen anyone say anything negative about him yet. You can't even say anything bad about the Lynch play because it was simply an elite player that got one over on him. Bet you it doesn't happen again though.

Honestly i think he should have easily been a top 3 draft pick, it was a steal to get him when we did.

Oh i know but i just think we've hit on a talent that is going to be HOF at this rate. His improvement week on week is staggering. I never see Collins have a worse game than the previous one, it's always either as good or better.

I agree that he's obviously been improving, but I also think it's somewhat difficult to try and put a "real" value on a player so early on in their rookie deal.

There are examples, of course, such as the 2 TEs a couple/few summers ago--although that very well may have occurred prior to the new rules of the most recent CBA. I'm not certain either way, to be honest. (EDIT: nevermind, I believe the new CBA was signed during the previous summer, although Gronk and AHern were both grandfathered in from their 2010 draft status)

The good news, as you've mentioned, is that Jamie Collins has seemed to improve in certain areas throughout his first 2 seasons here, so hopefully that will continue!

Last edited:
What's the deal with Chung by the way? Are we keeping him or looking to upgrade with a younger player maybe? My opinion of him changed drastically last season, I think he's a very good player now.

Tuesday evening will be the worst when a bunch of teams ink their marquee signings and the Pats stay quiet.
Somewhat, but if you think about it our marquee signings would be retaining most of our players.

Revis is obviously the wild card.

If we wittle away through this FA period and get Solder locked into a deal, Mayo, Amendola and even Arrington to restructure, I like Hoo-man but think he's a cap-casualty and bring back some guys like Casillas, Connolly, Branch and Ridley. I think guys like Wilfork, Ayers and Vereen are probably out of our reach and someone will severly overpay for their services, but realistically, our biggest moves may simply be keeping what we have and infusing good depth to replace the losses.

I'd rather be in the spot we're in now than having a (pick your perrenial loser) roster with lots of money to spend.

When you have the QB, the train keeps rollin'. And even at 38 this coming year I still think the fire is alive. I hope he takes it a little easier this offseason, though. He looked a little haggard in the post SB interveiws.

This season drained his soul some between the early season struggles and the end of the year BS gate-crap. Week 5 until after the AFCCG he was GOD. He was the master Jedi at the end of the SB, but you could ttell he was drained.

I agree that he's obviously been improving, but I also think it's somewhat difficult to try and put a "real" value on a player so early on in their rookie deal.

There are examples, of course, such as the 2 TEs a couple/few summers ago--although that very well may have occurred prior to the new rules of the most recent CBA. I'm not certain either way, to be honest.

The good news, as you've mentioned, is that Jamie Collins has seemed to improve in certain areas throughout his first 2 seasons here, so hopefully that will continue!

Yep. The Prisoner will probably go down as the last NFL player to receive an extension after two seasons.

Speaking of players that are a liability I wouldnt mind kicking the tires on Troy Polamalu

The fact that the Steelers of all teams, no longer want Polamalu any longer, tells me all I need to know.
He's a major liability in coverage and a major freelancer.

He can provide strength as a hybrid LB/S who plays close to the line and is physical with his run support, but I think we already have that with Patrick Chung.

If you break your toes because you hit the axle, you have no one to blame but yourself. ;)
I get that he cant cover to safe himself anymore but cant we have another Chung just in case? Still a hell of a tackler

If everything works out, hopefully Easley-Hightower-Collins- Chandler Jones-Mccourty form the backbone of this defense for the next five years. All those were drafted in the last five years so over the same time period we might add the same number of quality players on defense. I feel pretty darn confident about this defense moving forward.

The Patriots already have the contracts for McCourty and Revis set in stone. They would rather
finish 32nd in pass defense than exceed these amounts. My prediction is that they lose both of
these players along with most of their other free agents.

True Man Of Genius....Nostrildummass the Unpredictable strikes again.

Yep. The Prisoner will probably go down as the last NFL player to receive an extension after two seasons.

Did the new CBA change the rules at all, @ctpatsfan77?

If Miguel states that Jamie Collins cannot be extended this season, it would seem as though something has changed since the early extensions of Gronk/AHern---unless Miguel is referring to this particular free agency period and he is eligible after 2 years have gone by since he originally signed his rookie deal?

I'm not sure either way, which is why I am asking. Or was the new CBA signed the summer earlier, in 2011? (I think it was, now that I think about it).

What's the deal with Chung by the way? Are we keeping him or looking to upgrade with a younger player maybe? My opinion of him changed drastically last season, I think he's a very good player now.
They just signed him to a 3 year extension on Jan. 9th this year, so you can WangChung tonight on your side of the pond. ;)

I really hate to say this, but I think Revis is gone. He has his sb now and I think this satisfied him for awhile. Just speculation but I'm not confident Revis will be back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back