PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayock laughs at the Barwin-ites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you even read the whole thing? They could be working him out at tight end just to see how well he moves in space. Moving well in space is an important attribute for both tight ends and outside linebackers. .

They worked him out at TE because they are evaluating him as a tight end, not to secretly see how he would do as a linebacker. The Pats split the offensive and defensive scouting.

As for that last sentence, running is an important attribute for receivers and corner backs, it doesn't mean you can flip one player into the other easily.

you're right......he's bigger, faster and stronger coming out of college........

Actually, if he played tight end all in college he would basically look a lot like Ben Watson with the measurables and upside, but Watson wasn't worth #32.

If you remove Scott, it weakens YOUR argument because there aren't many other precedents for players who became successes in the NFL on the defensive side after playing 1 good year of defense in college. If you maybe had history on your side, perhaps it would be more convincing than the testimony your own expert eyes.

Its impossible for the removal of Trevor Scott to weaken my position because I've never used him as an example. YOU are the one who used him as an example and erroneously claimed that they were similar. You were proven wrong on that case.

Now, the problem with your scenario is that Barwin isn't just a one year wonder who had 3 years of obscurity behind him. He's a guy who played very well at TE and also was an excellent player on special teams. I could rehash everything for you, but you've already proven that you'll just ignore it like you've done in the past.

Just because there is a lack of viable candidates that fit into a similar Barwin mold, it doesn't mean that it can't be done. There have been players who didn't play a down of college football who have had success in the NFL. Just because it was on the offensive side of the ball doesn't make it invalid.

They worked him out at TE because they are evaluating him as a tight end, not to secretly see how he would do as a linebacker. The Pats split the offensive and defensive scouting.

No, the Pats don't split the offensive and defensive scouting. Their scouts are trained to look at players on both sides of the ball. Its inefficient to do it otherwise.

As for the Pats working Barwin out at TE, how do you know that is what they were evaluating him for? How do you know that they don't already have enough tape on him on the defensive side of the ball and wanting to see him on the offensive side since they lost Vrabel.

For someone who is always accusing others of being "self-proclaimed experts", you sure are making a LOT of bold statements about how the Patriots run their scouting department.

As for that last sentence, running is an important attribute for receivers and corner backs, it doesn't mean you can flip one player into the other easily.

Nope. It doesn't. However, there are cases where a WR flipped around and played CB and vice versa. With good success. Troy Brown. Deion Sanders. Mike Furrey. Those are just the recent ones. The era of players playing more than one position on a regular basis ended years ago. Now its primarily specialized...

Just because there is a lack of viable candidates that fit into a similar Barwin mold, it doesn't mean that it can't be done. There have been players who didn't play a down of college football who have had success in the NFL. Just because it was on the offensive side of the ball doesn't make it invalid.

You're right, let's all ignore the entire history of drafting and the entire body of evidence against the likelihood that a player with Barwin's profile is worth a 1st round pick as a defensive player... and just take your word for it. Let's also just dismiss any effort to find other players who successfully transitioned to defense after playing mostly offense, since that list looks really short. Let's just ignore it. You're a genius.

Last edited:
No, the Pats don't split the offensive and defensive scouting. Their scouts are trained to look at players on both sides of the ball. Its inefficient to do it otherwise.

There was a recent article posted which dispels this. I don't recall which thread it was in.

Barwin's... a guy who played very well at TE and also was an excellent player on special teams.

Why do you bring this up, unless you're ceding the position that Barwin is not a legit 1st rounder purely as an outside linebacker. It's true Belichick values versatility and saving a potential roster spot, but usually that involves lower rounded players and it's unlikely in this case that BB would reach at OLB when there are likely multiple other OLB prospects he could select later.

Last edited:
You're right, let's all ignore the entire history of drafting and the entire body of evidence against the likelihood that a player with Barwin's profile is worth a 1st round pick as a defensive player... and just take your word for it. Let's also just dismiss any effort to find other players who successfully transitioned to defense after playing mostly offense, since that list looks really short. Let's just ignore it. You're a genius.

what history?

Actually, if he played tight end all in college he would basically look a lot like Ben Watson with the measurables and upside, but Watson wasn't worth #32.

he would? how so?

its so funny to watch you hating on someone

Why do you bring this up, unless you're ceding the position that Barwin is not a legit 1st rounder purely as an outside linebacker. It's true Belichick values versatility and saving a potential roster spot, but usually that involves lower rounded players and it's unlikely in this case that BB would reach at OLB when there are likely multiple other OLB prospects he could select later.

uhhh.......why are you here? you made your point a long time ago and have just been repeating it ever since?

there are players I don't like......I have said so and moved on with my life.....why do you find it so hard to do so?

uhhh.......why are you here? you made your point a long time ago and have just been repeating it ever since?

there are players I don't like......I have said so and moved on with my life.....why do you find it so hard to do so?

Obsessive compulsive.

Actually, if you go back in history, you'll find a TON of candidates who were successful playing both sides of the ball. I am not ignoring anything. That is your department. Just like you cherry pick sentences and ignore everything else.

BTW, I have never said that Barwin SHOULD be the pick at #23. Not once.

As for being a genius, yes, my IQ is supposedly at that level according the the IQ tests. I tend to unleash it on the ignorant like yourself who just need a thorough thrashing.

There was a recent article posted which dispels this. I don't recall which thread it was in.

BS. Sorry, but I'll take information gained directly from the source over your claims to the contrary.

Are you truly that ignorant? Seriously. Are you? I bring it up because they are things that have to be considered when evaluating a prospect. Its not a concession of any point. Maybe you should stop cherry picking sentences out of paragraphs so that you can fully understand what is being said instead of proving to everyone how clueless you are.

One of your biggest issues with Barwin has been that he supposedly wouldn't contribute Day 1. Mentioning his experience on special teams and as a TE provides information to the contrary. That Barwin would be able to see time and make a contribution immediately. So, he'd get used to the speed of the game that much quicker while taking his practice reps at OLB and developing there. That is a HUGE PLUS for a prospect. Its not a negative. To my knowledge, Larry English, Everette Brown, etc, weren't regular contributors on special teams, if they were ever contributors there. You act like being outstanding on special teams is a BAD thing. Its not. Its a good thing.

Also, when will you get it through your head that I've never said that Barwin should be a 1st rounder. That is a bold faced lie on your part. If you can't stop lying, do everyone a favor and stop posting.

Last edited:
As for being a genius, yes, my IQ is supposedly at that level according the the IQ tests.

Wow, you really are becoming a caricature now. I think you take the cake when it comes to being full of him/herself on the internet. Congratulations.

Wow, you really are becoming a caricature now. I think you take the cake when it comes to being full of him/herself on the internet. Congratulations.

That's just it. I'm not full of myself. I am not the one on here telling everyone and their brother that they are wrong about Barwin. I am not the one ignoring facts the way you have. I am not the one cherry-picking sentences out of paragraphs and purposely spinning them out of context.

Hell, you are such a joke that you took my sarcasm as being real. Dude, you are the one full of yourself with your asinine claims and your bold faced lies.

OK Mr. Genius.

Its amazing how you are the one who made the claim and now you got your panties in a wad over it because I agreed with it. Amazing how you can't be bothered to stick to the topic. Again, with the cherry picking.

Mav4 ... you are ruining this thread with this nonsense. I get your point about Barwin. Some people like him; others don't. You don't have to attack people just because they don't agree with you.

You don't have to attack people just because they don't agree with you.

Have you taken a look at DaBruinz's behavior on this board for years? You have it backwards. Even in this thread the guy can't help but be condescending to multiple posters here, which I copied and pasted. That is, when he's not proclaiming himself to be a genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST