PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo: With the #3 pick we're taking BPA for the biggest need on the team

Agreed, but that still points to the absolute need to draft a LT.

I agree with that. The good news is there are supposed to be like five or six legit LT prospects who could be franchise LTs. The Pats could potentially still draft a QB in the first and trade into the first with their second and get one of these guys.

The best bridge QB would be someone who is already familiar with the system a new OC is going to run, anyone else is going to be learning along side the rookie
Agreed. But Zapp sees himself as the starter, I don't think he nor Mac are QBs that a rookie should learn from they've really done nothing in the league. The current QB position is just ****ed right now.. we are literally down the the studs in the wall with this roster.

Agreed. But Zapp sees himself as the starter, I don't think he nor Mac are QBs that a rookie should learn from they've really done nothing in the league. The current QB position is just ****ed right now.. we are literally down the the studs in the wall with this roster.
1/23/2024.
Calm Down Al Pacino GIF

If Maye and Williams are clearly 1 and 2 and if you have McCarthy, Penix, Daniels, Nix, Michael Pratt and/or someone like Spencer Rattler all kind of ranked similar you can wait until round 2 or a small trade up from 2 back into first round depending on who you are focusing on.

MHJ is a prospect that, if healthy, is likely to have a hall of fame type career. Do you pass that up for a QB that you think is not equal to Maye and Williams and not too much better than the next 5 guys? Do you pass up the chance to trade #3 to someone that loves Daniels or MHJ and will overpay?

In reality, it all comes down to how you rank the QB prospects.
Is this a Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, Hurts draft or Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields, Jones draft?
Absolutely I pass that up over the chance of drafting a potential franchise QB because hall of fame career at WR doesn’t always equals success.

Mike Evans is an Hall of fame WR, what was the record of the Bucs with him? Before Tom got there?

You can find really good receiver in the later round much more easily than QB. It’s not a coincidence that 7 of the 8 QB that played last weekend were 1st round pick.

That’s great when you have a CJ Stroud in the draft. Which you probably don’t have. So you either draft a guy that might be good but most likely will never amount to anything or you draft the bpa.
By that logic the Texans shouldn’t have drafted Stroud because they couldn’t know for sure that he was gonna be good.

By that logic he was the bpa.
The point here is that you shouldn’t draft a qb just for the sake of drafting a qb, which is what people are advocating for.
It's more of a difference of opinion on Jayden Daniels, I think Maye will be there at 3 though.

Well to be fair I don't think anyone is advocating for us to take a WR with a top 3 or 5 pick, whatever it was three years in a row.

I just think there is so much depth at both positions in this draft, that taking the best WR vs the third best QB and then taking the 4th or 5th QB is not necessarily a terrible plan. Now if one is a true believer in Daniels then obviously they probably frown upon it.

I personally like his arm and his running ability. However his weight is a major concern for me.

With that said I was all in on Mac prior to the draft and beyond stoked we got him the way we did. So I'm thinking I'll reserve my opinion on QBs to myself and defer these type of things to the professionals.

I think the exceptional depth at WR and OT makes it even easier for them to go QB at 3. There are going to be 1st round caliber WR’s and OT’s right into the 2nd round.

I think the exceptional depth at WR and OT makes it even easier for them to go QB at 3. There are going to be 1st round caliber WR’s and OT’s right into the 2nd round.
Yup, we'll get an OT with 34 or with a move up.

We had better get a good starter in free agency. Our #34 pick and free agents are not likely to be enough to protect our franchise QB.

We had better get a good starter in free agency. Our #34 pick and free agents are not likely to be enough to protect our franchise QB.
If Troy Franklin, Keon Coleman, Adonai Mitchell and Brian Thomas are all hanging out after pick 20, it's going to take quite a bit of willpower to stay at 34 and take Tyler Guyton or Patrick Paul.

I think they get a lower priced veteran QB for a season while the rookie learns the game, which gives them 2 free agency periods, and 2 drafts to fix OL and WR. I think a realistic plan for them is two seasons to fix the current problems and get to the playoffs.

I think they get a lower priced veteran QB for a season while the rookie learns the game, which gives them 2 free agency periods, and 2 drafts to fix OL and WR. I think a realistic plan for them is two seasons to fix the current problems and get to the playoffs.
For me, a lower priced QB means anyone but Cousins, Mayfield and Love, those likely to get $25M or more.

We should be able to get a starter for $10M or so AAV on a 2-3 year contract (or 2 with an option in year three).
=====
BTW, two years is a fine plan and goal. But, with a bit of luck, we could be competing for a playoff spot in the last 3 weeks of the 2024 season as we were in the first 3 years AB.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back