PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo: With the #3 pick we're taking BPA for the biggest need on the team

In wich way?..
One makes terrible, soul-crushing bad throws and terrible reads. The other makes terrible, soul-crushing bad throws and terrible reads, but runs around a little bit. Also Fields doesn't turtle to pressure.

One makes terrible, soul-crushing bad throws and terrible reads. The other makes terrible, soul-crushing bad throws and terrible reads, but runs around a little bit. Also Fields doesn't turtle to pressure.
Ahhhh.. there it is. "Fields doesn't turtle to pressure.. ".. gimme that guy anyday!

No rookie qb should be starting anyway.
You sign a mediocre vet qb to do it for one year and let the rook learn the offense, get used to the speed of the game,watch tons of film,work on mechanics and add some muscle in the weight room. Also gives you another year to build and develop the OL and WRs
C.J. Stroud says hello.
Happy Hey You GIF by Denyse®

Nobody we pick at 3 is going to transform us into a playoff team. Not on their own. That's not the point. I don't see how you don't see the fascination with MHJ but in the same breath you see it with Daniels?
Disagree. I think you have more chance to make the playoff taking a QB at 3 than MHJ.

Put Davis Mills in instead of CJ Stroud and Houston is picking in the top 10. Put Mills with MHJ and the Texans still pick in the top 10.

A good QB will always elevate the offense more than a good WR. MHJ would totally be the pick if we would already have an established QB which we don’t.

Disagree. I think you have more chance to make the playoff taking a QB at 3 than MHJ.

Put Davis Mills in instead of CJ Stroud and Houston is picking in the top 10. Put Mills with MHJ and the Texans still pick in the top 10.

A good QB will always elevate the offense more than a good WR. MHJ would totally be the pick if we would already have an established QB which we don’t.

That's assuming the QB is really good. I'm not assuming that, you are. That's fine if you feel that way but I'm not sold Daniels is the guy. I am sold that MHJ is going to be a very special player. Which is why I'd rather take him.

I honestly don’t understand the fascination with MHJ. I understand he is an incredible talent but the WR is not the piece you get first.

having MHJ will no transform this team in a playoff team. Take Wilson with the Jets. Back to back 1000 yds season. What is the jets record? Lions had an 0-16 season with Megatron. Miami got eliminated in the division round with one of not the best WR in the league. The QB is much more important than the WR.

We need a QB. You don’t get the chance to draft one high very often so when you do you take the chance. This WR class is very deep. MHJ will not be the only good WR in this class.
If Maye and Williams are clearly 1 and 2 and if you have McCarthy, Penix, Daniels, Nix, Michael Pratt and/or someone like Spencer Rattler all kind of ranked similar you can wait until round 2 or a small trade up from 2 back into first round depending on who you are focusing on.

MHJ is a prospect that, if healthy, is likely to have a hall of fame type career. Do you pass that up for a QB that you think is not equal to Maye and Williams and not too much better than the next 5 guys? Do you pass up the chance to trade #3 to someone that loves Daniels or MHJ and will overpay?

In reality, it all comes down to how you rank the QB prospects.
Is this a Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, Hurts draft or Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields, Jones draft?

Agreed with signing a Veteran... however it all depends on that rookie, can he show he's ready? Is he thrown right into the fire? Does he sit and learn.. I guess it would all depend on if the organization can afford to have him sit and learn.. I don't know that we have that.

Why not? Without some really lucky breaks we aren't contending for anything in the next year or two, so if you are going to invest in a QB high, set him up for success instead of failure.

No rookie qb should be starting anyway.
You sign a mediocre vet qb to do it for one year and let the rook learn the offense, get used to the speed of the game,watch tons of film,work on mechanics and add some muscle in the weight room. Also gives you another year to build and develop the OL and WRs

I agree, but you see it all the time. How much pressure will be coming from the fans (and the Krafts) to start a rookie as soon as we lose a couple of games? Christ, this fan base wanted to move on from Brady because of an early season blow out in 2014.

Why not? Without some really lucky breaks we aren't contending for anything in the next year or two, so if you are going to invest in a QB high, set him up for success instead of failure.
I'm referring to the draft pick sitting and learning.. who on this roster can he learn from? Mac? Bailey?

That’s great when you have a CJ Stroud in the draft. Which you probably don’t have. So you either draft a guy that might be good but most likely will never amount to anything or you draft the bpa.

Mayo said the best, and true, thing he could have.

Because (lets hope) this means if they fill the OT or QB position in FA, then they'll pick WR.
If they find a #1WR and solidify OL in FA, they might pick QB.

This "ready to burn cash" comment will likely be different than the comments made by Tom Werner (a Red Sox owner) about a "full throttle" offseason (big dud thus far).
I hope it's not a ploy to sell tickets like the Sox did by making that comment right before the deadline to renew season tickets. I believe it they'll try to sign players, and likely must over-pay to get one, but the FA market is not deep with talent so there's that.

That he's also the top raked LT in free agency speaks volumes, too. This is just a terrible spot to be in without a LT.

Tyrone Smith is the best LT free agent, but he is a short term solution. My guess is if he leaves the Cowboys, he would want to go to a contender because of his age and lack of rings.

Tyrone Smith is the best LT free agent, but he is a short term solution. My guess is if he leaves the Cowboys, he would want to go to a contender because of his age and lack of rings.
Agreed, but that still points to the absolute need to draft a LT.

What??? a Guy who's a better Rookie thrower than Lamar Jackson coming out who can also run??
Tom Delonge Wtf GIF
There is no universe in which Daniels has a better arm than Lamar.

Ok, but still need a veteran to learn from. That is why we need a veteran bridge here.

The best bridge QB would be someone who is already familiar with the system a new OC is going to run, anyone else is going to be learning along side the rookie

The best bridge QB would be someone who is already familiar with the system a new OC is going to run, anyone else is going to be learning along side the rookie
Yes, and someone good enough to let the rookie sit for most of the season. If the vet crashes and burns early on, it's going to put a lot of pressure on Mayo to play the rookie whether he's ready or not.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back