PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo: With the #3 pick we're taking BPA for the biggest need on the team

Kiper is the latest to have daniels going before drake. Now drake vs mhj would be incredibly interesting. At that juncture i might switch my pref to qb. But if maye is gone im leaning mhj if hes there at 3.
I am so hoping it goes that way and then I take exactly .01 seconds to write Mayes's name down.
If they name Ben Johnson as coach, I think Commanders go Maye though.

If Maye and Willimas gone I wish they could take MHJ and then package #2 and next year's one and somehow go back up for Daniels but unlikely that would be enough. Maybe McCarthy falls to round 2, though have to be sold on him, not sure I am, I see it as Willams, then Maye, then a relatively sizable drop to Daniels and then an even bigger drop to everyone else.

I am so hoping it goes that way and then I take exactly .01 seconds to write Mayes's name down.

If Maye and Willimas gone I wish they could take MHJ and then package #2 and next year's one and somehow go back up for Daniels but unlikely that would be enough. Maybe McCarthy falls to round 2, though have to be sold on him, not sure I am, I see it as Willams, then Maye, then a relatively sizable drop to Daniels and then an even bigger drop to everyone else.
I think McCarthy is risky even in the Second I didn't see a lot of Big plays from him. In this particular Draft the drop-off at QB is quite significant.

I honestly don’t understand the fascination with MHJ. I understand he is an incredible talent but the WR is not the piece you get first.

having MHJ will no transform this team in a playoff team. Take Wilson with the Jets. Back to back 1000 yds season. What is the jets record? Lions had an 0-16 season with Megatron. Miami got eliminated in the division round with one of not the best WR in the league. The QB is much more important than the WR.

We need a QB. You don’t get the chance to draft one high very often so when you do you take the chance. This WR class is very deep. MHJ will not be the only good WR in this class.

Right, but you don't normally hire the coach first. Normally the GM has say over it all. I feel like when you have both the coach and the GM answer to the owner without a clear hierarchy, you're asking for trouble.
Well that's how "typically " its been done in the NFL.. however the GM and HC both need to have effective working relationships.. becuase they need each other to carry out thier jobs.. and both need the players to execute on the field.

Well that's how "typically " its been done in the NFL.. however the GM and HC both need to have effective working relationships.. becuase they need each other to carry out thier jobs.. and both need the players to execute on the field.
Right, but what happens when the Giants offer us a trade for the 3rd pick and Mayo wants to use the pick and Wolf wants to trade it? Someone needs to be the decider.

Mel Kiper's latest mock draft today has Caleb going 1 to Chicago, Jayden Daniels going 2 to Washington, and then Drake Maye going 3 to NE. Obviously teams aren't drafting based on Kiper's board but just found this interesting. Could Washington take the Heisman winner to generate hype for the new ownership?

It is really hard to find a LT in FA. They can draft the best LT in the draft and protect the qb and improve the running game with 1 player.

LT should be the pick. Trade down to 4 or 5, get another pick. Worry about qb later in the draft or next year.

Mel Kiper's latest mock draft today has Caleb going 1 to Chicago, Jayden Daniels going 2 to Washington, and then Drake Maye going 3 to NE. Obviously teams aren't drafting based on Kiper's board but just found this interesting. Could Washington take the Heisman winner to generate hype for the new ownership?
It definitely feels like Daniels is on the rise. How far is anyone's guess.

You don't find starting day one LTs later in the draft. The last 22 seasons in NE:
Light (Drafted 2nd), Solder (Drafted 1st), Brown (Trade), Wynn (Drafted 1st), Brown (Trade)

The other problem if from what I've seen at this point, there really aren't any 2nd rd LTs that I would want to start on the blind side of a rookie QB.

Trade back a couple of spots in the 1st, take the LT you like, pick up more picks.
No rookie qb should be starting anyway.
You sign a mediocre vet qb to do it for one year and let the rook learn the offense, get used to the speed of the game,watch tons of film,work on mechanics and add some muscle in the weight room. Also gives you another year to build and develop the OL and WRs

Now Penix Jr. have red flags many I might add.
Agreed, but we are not looking at Penix at #3 are we?

If we can get him late 1st or early 2nd then sign me up.

Right, but what happens when the Giants offer us a trade for the 3rd pick and Mayo wants to use the pick and Wolf wants to trade it? Someone needs to be the decider.
I see your point.. I don't think really it's going to be an issue.. I honestly believe Mayo and the organization are on the same page as everything will be a "collaboration " wich hasn't always been the case no matter what Bill has said ,in the little he did say. They are away from the " one guys signs off on everything " to a real collaboration. RK is smart man he's not going to set up Mayo to fail. Most organizations do this so not anything new. We just now have a modern set up. To many folks dismay.. the team does have a GM is Groh, they just haven't named him official title. Wolfe and Steve something I can't remember his name?

No rookie qb should be starting anyway.
You sign a mediocre vet qb to do it for one year and let the rook learn the offense, get used to the speed of the game,watch tons of film,work on mechanics and add some muscle in the weight room. Also gives you another year to build and develop the OL and WRs
Agreed with signing a Veteran... however it all depends on that rookie, can he show he's ready? Is he thrown right into the fire? Does he sit and learn.. I guess it would all depend on if the organization can afford to have him sit and learn.. I don't know that we have that.

I honestly don’t understand the fascination with MHJ. I understand he is an incredible talent but the WR is not the piece you get first.

having MHJ will no transform this team in a playoff team. Take Wilson with the Jets. Back to back 1000 yds season. What is the jets record? Lions had an 0-16 season with Megatron. Miami got eliminated in the division round with one of not the best WR in the league. The QB is much more important than the WR.

We need a QB. You don’t get the chance to draft one high very often so when you do you take the chance. This WR class is very deep. MHJ will not be the only good WR in this class.

Nobody we pick at 3 is going to transform us into a playoff team. Not on their own. That's not the point. I don't see how you don't see the fascination with MHJ but in the same breath you see it with Daniels?

Same here, just very hard to pass on mhj at 3. Id then assume nyg goes with daniels at 5. Its very up in the air what Seattle, atl, vegas , denver, Minnesota will do but if at least three of those teams pass on qb which seems likely since many of them might be picking too high for the 2nd tier of qbs (McCarthy, nix, penix) we should definitely be able to nab one at 35 or a small trade up to be sure if you like any of those. Also guessing one of those teams trades for fields so that increases the likelihood even more.

I think McCarthy is risky even in the Second I didn't see a lot of Big plays from him. In this particular Draft the drop-off at QB is quite significant.
JJ McCarthy is a day 3 talent that's going to go in the low first/high second.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back