PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maurice Jones-Drew up for trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about it a bit more...Patriots have a plethora of WR's, Jacksonville need to get Gabbert weapons so throwing in a WR or 2 with a draft pick might be more tempting to them.

Last edited:
Thinking about it a bit more...Patriots have a plethora of WR's, Jacksonville need to get Gabbert weapons so throwing in a WR or 2 with a draft pick might be more tempting to them.

Stallworth, Ebert and Bolden for MJD

If the Jaguars won't pay him, the Patriots certainly won't get within the area code for a running back with 1500 carries on him. This guy is great but he's been pounded averaging more than 300 carries a year for three years.

Think about that 300+ carries per year, an average of 20 carries a game, every game. If he's not finished already, he's very close.

If the Pats wouldn't pay the law firm, they won't pay Maurice Jones-Drew.

The Jets might.

Any chance the Rats will try to pick him up? Their offense has nothing going for it at all.

Last edited:
Any chance the Rats will try to pick him? Their offense has nothing going for it at all.

The Rats couldn't
A. Afford his contract
B. Offer up any players Jacksonville would want that the Rats are willing to give up

lets not forget the last jags RB we took with miles on the clock.

MJD and Fragile Freddy are lightyears apart.

If the Jaguars won't pay him, the Patriots certainly won't get within the area code for a running back with 1500 carries on him. This guy is great but he's been pounded averaging more than 300 carries a year for three years.

Think about that 300+ carries per year, an average of 20 carries a game, every game. If he's not finished already, he's very close.

If the Pats wouldn't pay the law firm, they won't pay Maurice Jones-Drew.

The Jets might.

BJGE will never be 1/4 the playmaker that MJD is. Not paying a "dependable" guy is very different than paying/not paying a playmaker of MJD's caliber.

The Rats couldn't
A. Afford his contract
B. Offer up any players Jacksonville would want that the Rats are willing to give up

Revis and Mangold! :D

MJD and Fragile Freddy are lightyears apart.

BJGE will never be 1/4 the playmaker that MJD is. Not paying a "dependable" guy is very different than paying/not paying a playmaker of MJD's caliber.

As Glenn Ordway says, "You're making my point." What would it have taken to keep Green-Ellis? $9 million over three years with $4 million guaranteed? Not a big deal. MJD wants twice that. The Pats are not going to put that kind of money into that position, and not into one guy. Not sure where in the cap you find it.

he's gonna want a new contract too. I'll pass in that case.

As Glenn Ordway says, "You're making my point." What would it have taken to keep Green-Ellis? $9 million over three years with $4 million guaranteed? Not a big deal. MJD wants twice that. The Pats are not going to put that kind of money into that position, and not into one guy. Not sure where in the cap you find it.

You're missing the point though, Benny wasn't paid because he is nothing more than dependable. MJD is a playmaker running or receiving. You put the ball in his hands and something happens.

You're stating it as if they're the same guy and MJD wants twice what Benny did. It's nothing close to that.

It would be glorious of Tanny was stupid enough to give up either of them :p

It would probably be the best thing for that franchise in the long run. Revis is the best and Mangold is right up there but if they truly wanted to rebuild that franchise, replenish the salary cap that is in hell they would jettison these 2 guys. It's not like Revis is going to play the contract out anyways after this year. I'd **** can Sanchez first chance I got and advise MJD he can seek a trade if he plays for this one season. Fire Rex Ryan as head coach and that lousy gm Tannenbaum as well. I'd find replacements capable of building franchises.

Bold moves,they wouldn't be popular with the fans but the way I see it would be the only way to start over and compete within a few years with the right people in place.

You're missing the point though, Benny wasn't paid because he is nothing more than dependable. MJD is a playmaker running or receiving. You put the ball in his hands and something happens.

You're stating it as if they're the same guy and MJD wants twice what Benny did. It's nothing close to that.

No. They are not equal at all. Maurice Jones-Drew is looking for and will probably command twice what Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis got in his deal. In both cap hit and guaranteed money.

The Patriots simply don't put that kind of money into the running back position which is a sub-text of this offense. Short yardage comes from the backs, the best slot receiver in the history of the league (who is also the highest paid player on the team this year), and the tight ends (who they are willing to pay.) Hernandez' and Welker's deals loom very large, as does Brady's re-structured deal.

The point is that there is no room for MJD, especially as a well-worn running back.

Last edited:
This has got New york rats written all over it.
But I'd also look out for the Colts, and Broncos to be in the mix as well as Detroit.
I think Indiapolis is the best fit for him they certainly have the cap and inconsistency at halfback.
A young protege possible stud in Luck makes all the sense in the world.

This has got New york rats written all over it.
But I'd also look out for the Colts, and Broncos to be in the mix as well as Detroit.
I think Indiapolis is the best fit for him they certainly have the cap and inconsistency at halfback.
A young protege possible stud in Luck makes all the sense in the world.

And Miami. MJD in the backfield with Reggie Bush is a tremendous threat, particularly with a rookie QB at the controls.

You make a good point about Miami, I just thought that Bush would feel a certain kind of way sharing the spotlight.
I still say best gift you could give Luck is Maurice Jones Drew.
Although trading him to the NFC makes more sense and you'd have to give the Lions the tip to win that division possibly conference.
Patriot fans don't even think about it our 5 backs combined don't make what Drew is looking for.

You make a good point about Miami, I just thought that Bush would feel a certain kind of way sharing the spotlight.
I still say best gift you could give Luck is Maurice Jones Drew.
Although trading him to the NFC makes more sense and you'd have to give the Lions the tip to win that division possibly conference.
Patriot fans don't even think about it our 5 backs combined don't make what Drew is looking for.

The Colts is a great fit. Sorta like Marshall Faulk with Manning when he came in as a rookie.

I don't see how the Jets can afford him, or put together a package to get him, unless they'd be willing to ship Revis to Jacksonville. Rex would never let that happen.

No. They are not equal at all. Maurice Jones-Drew is looking for and will probably command twice what Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis got in his deal. In both cap hit and guaranteed money.

The Patriots simply don't put that kind of money into the running back position which is a sub-text of this offense. Short yardage comes from the backs, the best slot receiver in the history of the league (who is also the highest paid player on the team this year), and the tight ends (who they are willing to pay.) Hernandez' and Welker's deals loom very large, as does Brady's re-structured deal.

The point is that there is no room for MJD, especially as a well-worn running back.

I'm not saying we're going to bring him in, but you're comparing MJD to BJGE when you compare their salaries. They are different players, using the argument that we wouldn't pay BJGE so we obviously wouldnt pay MJD makes it sound like they're the same type of player, which is false.

Based on your comment above, have you ever seen MJD play football?

Saw Corey Dillon play too. Then we traded for him and after one year for the ages extended him and lived to regret it. If you think WR's hit the wall... Jones Drew doesn't want to be traded. He wants to be contractually appreciated and retain his face of the franchise status, neither of which will will happen here or apparently there. New owner, new coaching staff, new QB, they aren't looking to maintain the status quo. He'll show eventually, for $5M they all do. Khan holds all the cards.

We've blown a lot of front money the last two seasons. We got pending FA of our own to worry about retaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case