PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Waldman on Jacoby Brissett

Status
Not open for further replies.
but his mobility offsets it

Yes and no. Its all dependent on how much of the offensive system they adjust to his strengths.

If he needs to adjust his launch position all the time then that obviously impacts the timing element of the offense for the receivers. If they can't get open and mobile, speedy defenders can peel of the blocks and get after him they really don't gain anything by having a more mobile QB.

Quite frankly, mobile QBs are sacked just as much if not more than Manning/Brady-types so it's kind of a wash I guess.

As a NC State graduate, I can say the football program produces nothing but NFL QBs. Rivers, Wilson, Glennon and Brissett. 4 QBs in about 10 years.

I'm thinking that he has the unique skills to successfully run a great scout team. In all reality, he is an upgrade to the defense.

That's only half sarcasm.

• Agree
Reactions: JJC
As a dsta point: despite the new contract the Pats can trade Brady in 2018 without losing salary cap room.
Whatever they may do with any other player, from Milloy to Seymour to Branch to Wilfork, they're not trading Brady. He's the GOAT. He's the victim of Goodell's kangaroo court. He's here until he retires (hopefully not into Guerrero's snake oil business).

24/50 Wonderlic

2016 NFL Draft: What was Carson Wentz's Wonderlic score?

I don't know Brissett from Adam but I'm not liking this pick. Feels like another guy who depends on his athleticism rather than his brain.

I would hardly use the Wonderlic score as an accurate measure of football intelligence. I consider Tom Brady to the the smartest quarterback of the modern era, at least (if not of all time), and his Wonderlic was a modest 33/50. Peyton Manning (who most people consider to be an extremely smart quarterback) was only 28/50. Roethisberger (who Brissett has been compared to) was 25/50, and both Jim Kelly and Dan Marino were 15/50, and they did OK.
NFLStatAnalysis: QB Wonderlic Scores......

Last edited:
Does Brissett remind anyone of (cough) Tebow?
I just spent a couple hrs watching film. He reminds me of every 'prototype' QB the 'experts' all say 'should' be the best kind of QB - tall, strong, athletic, big arm, can run. I see a guy who will engage in some very exciting escapes from a pocket he doesn't need to relinquish because he can't read the D and launches 40-60 yd "Oh! Noooo!"'s into triple coverage. QBs like this are all over the league. Every once in a while their legs and arms will allow them to catch lightning in a bottle and win an exciting game. At least as likely, though, is a soul-crushing defeat on a Favre-esque game ending INT.

Who the **** is Matt waldman and why should we care what he says? I've never heard of this guy... Disclaimer, I'm 42 years, married, 2 kids, work full-time so I don't spend all day on myface and instabook...in case this guy's some nerd blogger with a following of millions of fantasy geeks....

I just don't know what to make of the Brisett pick. Yeah, he might have the tools and the head to be a NFL QB. But for us? He is so radically different from the other QBs we have, and have had in the past, I can't help thinking that BBs gonna make him change his position.

But he could make a decent scout QB to mimic some of running QBs we face.

I just don't know what to make of the Brisett pick. Yeah, he might have the tools and the head to be a NFL QB. But for us? He is so radically different from the other QBs we have, and have had in the past, I can't help thinking that BBs gonna make him change his position.

But he could make a decent scout QB to mimic some of running QBs we face.
We didn't take him in the third round to change position or to be the scout team QB. This isn't a UDFA.

As a NC State graduate, I can say the football program produces nothing but NFL QBs. Rivers, Wilson, Glennon and Brissett. 4 QBs in about 10 years.
There was a time when they were the only program with more than 1 starting QB in the NFL with Rivers and Wilson, and actually had Glennon starting as well. Not sure if they're still the only program with 2 starters. Cal-Berkeley will probably have 2 starters on opening day. Not sure about FSU.

What happens when he doesn't deteriorate? BB will trade him to save the potential future for some other coach? TB would have to be Peyton Manning 2015 regular season level bad for the question to even become legitimate, and that's not going to happen.

Jimmy is as good as gone. That's why they just drafted Rando McDipshit in the 3rd round.

BB will cut Brady? They'll trade him before they cut him.

Why are people so nervous about even mentioning the inevitable - Brady's end of career in the near future?
Also don't get it why this forum is so hasty on dismissing the possibility JG has a chance here?

Relax. Please.

Lets enjoy Brady while we can. If we like it or not it will not be for much longer. How long is senseless guessing. After 40 it can be any day for any reason. And he's not gonna be cut or traded. He and BB will know the moment and act accordingly (if unexpected doesn't strike first). He was blessed with a long, fruitful career. He will retire in peace, gloriously. Even boneheaded Manning could acknowledge that eventually. (He may even decide before time if NE wins another SB - there is life after football, especially for Brady)

And lets enjoy Jimmy G. He is a Patriot last time I checked and he will be in driving seat for the start of the season. Is it really so disturbing if some of us are looking forward seeing what he can really do? If we feel he can put up a show? If we would like him to stay? The reality of his stay is another matter but signing new QB doesn't automatically mean anything. There is still a chance he takes over eventually and for the moment I am good with that. But most of all I really look forward watching him play and seeing how he progressed, what the coaches made of him ...

Why are people so nervous about even mentioning the inevitable - Brady's end of career in the near future?
Also don't get it why this forum is so hasty on dismissing the possibility JG has a chance here?

Relax. Please.

Lets enjoy Brady while we can. If we like it or not it will not be for much longer. How long is senseless guessing. After 40 it can be any day for any reason. And he's not gonna be cut or traded. He and BB will know the moment and act accordingly (if unexpected doesn't strike first). He was blessed with a long, fruitful career. He will retire in peace, gloriously. Even boneheaded Manning could acknowledge that eventually. (He may even decide before time if NE wins another SB - there is life after football, especially for Brady)

And lets enjoy Jimmy G. He is a Patriot last time I checked and he will be in driving seat for the start of the season. Is it really so disturbing if some of us are looking forward seeing what he can really do? If we feel he can put up a show? If we would like him to stay? The reality of his stay is another matter but signing new QB doesn't automatically mean anything. There is still a chance he takes over eventually and for the moment I am good with that. But most of all I really look forward watching him play and seeing how he progressed, what the coaches made of him ...
There is no harm in talking about it now. Roster planning is part of the fandom. They just drafted a QB so it's reasonable speculation.

Brissett is a hell of a lot better than people think. That NC State team was not good at all. Brissett almost single handedly won game after game for them. With the right coaching he can be a good NFL starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back