PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Waldman on Jacoby Brissett

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're in a very interesting place right now with QBs. If Jimmy G continues developing and can hit his ceiling, it'll be very hard to part with the kid - he can really be fantastic. However, his contract will most likely run out before Brady is finished - and who the hell knows when Brady will actually BE finished? It's not unrealistic to think Brady has 5+ more years in him. I wouldn't really be shocked if Bill traded Brady in 2018 for the mother lode of picks to keep Jimmy G as the face of the franchise for the next 15 years. Then again, will BB even be around for 15 years himself? He'll be in his 70's soon, so I doubt it.

Meanwhile, Brissett can just do his thing, learn, and maybe develop into a real quality QB himself. What I find MOST interesting is how unique all three QBs are when compared to one another.

We're in a very interesting place right now with QBs. If Jimmy G continues developing and can hit his ceiling, it'll be very hard to part with the kid - he can really be fantastic. However, his contract will most likely run out before Brady is finished - and who the hell knows when Brady will actually BE finished? It's not unrealistic to think Brady has 5+ more years in him. I wouldn't really be shocked if Bill traded Brady in 2018 for the mother lode of picks to keep Jimmy G as the face of the franchise for the next 15 years. Then again, will BB even be around for 15 years himself? He'll be in his 70's soon, so I doubt it.

Meanwhile, Brissett can just do his thing, learn, and maybe develop into a real quality QB himself. What I find MOST interesting is how unique all three QBs are when compared to one another.

You know, Ross, while that could happen (trading TB for the treasure trove of picks), somehow I just don't think that is going to happen. I know BB is portrayed as the heartless machine, well known for trading a player a year early instead of a year late (Seymour, Vrabel, Mankins, Welker, etc.). But in each case, the players were asking for more than BB judged they were worth given their performance, and he traded them to a place where they could still make their salary (this was particularly true with Vrabel, where the trade might have actually been a favor). In the case of Seymour,Mankins, and Welker, despite their undoubted contributions to the team, there had been a great deal of agitation for more money. That is a perfectly legitimate thing for a player to do, and really the smart move.

It is very, very, very rare for a player to actually take less money because they love being with the team so much.Ted Bruschi did that. Remember BB at Braschi's retirement ceremony? That is about as emotional as BB get's, and he called Braschi the "perfect player". Tom Brady of course has done that 100 fold, consistently taking way below market value to improve the team. I just have trouble believing that BB would reward that by trading Brady away, unless Brady actually wanted that himself.

Moreover, apart from they money, IMHO BB is actually a loyal guy (think of how loyal he has been to Parcell after the way that Parcell treated him). And clearly BB cares very, very deeply about his legacy. I remember how upset he was about the original CameraGate nonsense, more because it threatened his legacy (and that of the team, being labeled as "cheaters") than anything else. After all that BB and Brady have been through, this is one instance where I would very surprised if BB actually traded Brady away.

Of course, I'm the guy who was absolutely 100% sure that once the league realized that the ball deflation was easily explained by simple physics (the Ideal Gas Law) that they would bury the whole thing, so that shows what a great prognosticator I am. :cool:

You know, Ross, while that could happen (trading TB for the treasure trove of picks), somehow I just don't think that is going to happen. I know BB is portrayed as the heartless machine, well known for trading a player a year early instead of a year late (Seymour, Vrabel, Mankins, Welker, etc.). But in each case, the players were asking for more than BB judged they were worth given their performance, and he traded them to a place where they could still make their salary (this was particularly true with Vrabel, where the trade might have actually been a favor). In the case of Seymour,Mankins, and Welker, despite their undoubted contributions to the team, there had been a great deal of agitation for more money. That is a perfectly legitimate thing for a player to do, and really the smart move.

It is very, very, very rare for a player to actually take less money because they love being with the team so much.Ted Bruschi did that. Remember BB at Braschi's retirement ceremony? That is about as emotional as BB get's, and he called Braschi the "perfect player". Tom Brady of course has done that 100 fold, consistently taking way below market value to improve the team. I just have trouble believing that BB would reward that by trading Brady away, unless Brady actually wanted that himself.

Moreover, apart from they money, IMHO BB is actually a loyal guy (think of how loyal he has been to Parcell after the way that Parcell treated him). And clearly BB cares very, very deeply about his legacy. I remember how upset he was about the original CameraGate nonsense, more because it threatened his legacy (and that of the team, being labeled as "cheaters") than anything else. After all that BB and Brady have been through, this is one instance where I would very surprised if BB actually traded Brady away.

Of course, I'm the guy who was absolutely 100% sure that once the league realized that the ball deflation was easily explained by simple physics (the Ideal Gas Law) that they would bury the whole thing, so that shows what a great prognosticator I am. :cool:
No doubt. We know BB wouldn't move on from Brady for monetary reasons. I'm just looking at the "big picture" - if he is faced with the choice of a few more years with Brady who will then be in his 40's, versus starting Garoppolo who will have many more years ahead of him and is in his prime - we don't know what will happen. In an ideal world, Jimmy would've been drafted a couple years later and could take the reins right as Brady is ready to hang them up, but the contract situation doesn't pan out that way.

I think it's MORE LIKELY that BB would trade Jimmy or simply let him play out his contract and sign elsewhere in FA and roll with Brady as long as Brady can still go, but it may not happen that way. It's also possible Jimmy will take a 2-4 year contract extension at a fair price to stick around until Brady is done, knowing he would get a raise when he's starting, but I don't think that's very likely.

I guess you could sign both guys to equal deals and let them compete every year, and let Brady slide into a backup role if/when Jimmy beats him on the field, but I don't think that's happening. Too much $ tied up in QBs in that scenario.

According to FOTM, Brady is gonna quit soon cuz he hates Kraft

I think it's as close to a certainty as you can get that Brady retires a Patriot.

Let's say you actually believe the idea that Belichick is an unfeeling robot. What sort of longterm message is he sending if he trades a player who has sacrificed so much for this team?

"Hey other players who might come here and be willing to play for less than market value, look at how we offloaded the GOAT for picks after he played for relative peanuts compared to what he could have cost us."

It just doesn't make sense to me on a lot of levels.

Bill Parcells, Charlie Weis rave about new Patriots QB Jacoby Brissett

And to that end, Parcells planned on meeting with Brissett yesterday to prepare him for life with Belichick.

“We’re going to have a little visit,” said the Tuna. “Now that we know where we’re going, what we’re doing, we’ve got to give him the rules of engagement, so to speak.”

Bill Parcells, Charlie Weis rave about new Patriots QB Jacoby Brissett

And to that end, Parcells planned on meeting with Brissett yesterday to prepare him for life with Belichick.

“We’re going to have a little visit,” said the Tuna. “Now that we know where we’re going, what we’re doing, we’ve got to give him the rules of engagement, so to speak.”

This article makes me more enthused about the pick.

Seems like a solid choice. Now the trick is managing the three QBS on the roster and getting the get the best comination of play and asset maximization, but no team has a better QB situation than the Pats.

If JAG handles the first 4 games well, I would REALLY like to see BB sitting Brady in 4th quarters of games decided. I know Brady's in great shape and is a true competitor, but an injury at 40 is a lot worse than one at 30.

I want to see JAG get a ton of reps this year. I want a fresh and angry Brady leading the way into the playoffs.

I think it's as close to a certainty as you can get that Brady retires a Patriot.

Let's say you actually believe the idea that Belichick is an unfeeling robot. What sort of longterm message is he sending if he trades a player who has sacrificed so much for this team?

"Hey other players who might come here and be willing to play for less than market value, look at how we offloaded the GOAT for picks after he played for relative peanuts compared to what he could have cost us."

It just doesn't make sense to me on a lot of levels.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Jellybob get involved if Bill wanted to trade Brady. I don't see it happening either. In fairness, Garopollo already won a Super Bowl holding the clipboard, imagine what he could do if he played!

If JAG handles the first 4 games well, I would REALLY like to see BB sitting Brady in 4th quarters of games decided. I know Brady's in great shape and is a true competitor, but an injury at 40 is a lot worse than one at 30.

I want to see JAG get a ton of reps this year. I want a fresh and angry Brady leading the way into the playoffs.

Well if Brady gets forced to sit out some 4th quarters, it is a given we'll have an angry Brady in the playoffs.

What if he sucks in the first 4 games? Then Old Man Brady has to stay in the end of blowouts?

I actually wouldn't have any problem changing the norm on this if they're up 4 TDs in the 4th, I just don't think that there's truly a lot of situations in a season where it would apply. Even last season you'd be talking about a handful of series, in total, at the end of maybe 3 games.

I didn't like the pick at first...but I'm really starting to like the guy :) He can ball :cool:

Agreed.

Maybe one of the reason that QBs develop so well on the Pats, is that since Brady became the starter, any QB that comes in knows they won't be playing, and they are allowed to sit on the bench and develop the way QBs used to do, instead of being forced to start immediately and be the savior.

The Pats should have a better chance of finding an acceptable replacement for Brady this way, as they have the luxury of not needing an immediate replacement.

Bad teams without a QB get in a vicious cycle of bringing on top QB prospects and then forcing them to play and ruining them.

There are very few things they could do to get me to stop following the Patriots, trading Brady is one of them. I won't watch Brady finishing his career elsewhere I will just say goodbye to football.

TB12 is going nowhere. They'll get a year to evaluate Brissett and likely move on from him or JG in 12 months. If Brissett looks good it will be JG with Brissett's contract ending when Brady's does. I. Can't see there being anything else going on but this.

There are very few things they could do to get me to stop following the Patriots, trading Brady is one of them. I won't watch Brady finishing his career elsewhere I will just say goodbye to football.

Over my middle-aged life there were 3 defections that left me down in the dumps.

1) Carlton Fisk - I was a catcher in little league because of him. I was pissed at the Sox for months

2) Danny Ainge- I was in HS and didn't really grasp the business aspect of it yet. LB33 was out for the year and the season was over but loved Danny.

3) Tuna- Both Tuna and Bob made mistakes but at the time I blamed Bob for being is meddlesome owner and pushing Tuna out the door.

I think if TB12 is traded I'll be upset but I'm assuming BB would only do it when he is 100% confident that the QB situation is on solid ground and the roster is in great shape and not some Buddy LeRoux/Haywood Sullivan garage sale.

Over my middle-aged life there were 3 defections that left me down in the dumps.

1) Carlton Fisk - I was a catcher in little league because of him. I was pissed at the Sox for months

2) Danny Ainge- I was in HS and didn't really grasp the business aspect of it yet. LB33 was out for the year and the season was over but loved Danny.

3) Tuna- Both Tuna and Bob made mistakes but at the time I blamed Bob for being is meddlesome owner and pushing Tuna out the door.

I think if TB12 is traded I'll be upset but I'm assuming BB would only do it when he is 100% confident that the QB situation is on solid ground and the roster is in great shape and not some Buddy LeRoux/Haywood Sullivan garage sale.

I guess I just feel like Brady is the rare player who has been willing to leave tens of millions on the table to put the team ahead of himself, and I want them to let him go out in his own terms. I don't see him sticking around while he sucks and believe that if he does decline he will pull the plug himself. I don't want them trading him while he is still great and if they did I doubt I could continue to support them any longer. He's a rare player and should be respected as such.

As a NC State graduate, I can say the football program produces nothing but NFL QBs. Rivers, Wilson, Glennon and Brissett. 4 QBs in about 10 years.
To be fair, didn't Wilson and Brissett transfer to NC State from other highly ranked programs (Wisc and Florida)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back