PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Cassel loses his father

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolute worst news of the season. Let the family be in all our thoughts.

Sad news. Prayers go out to the Cassel family.

Matt is rather young to be losing a parent, truly sad news.
Although there is never a good age to lose a parent, you are right, that is awfully young. God bless Matt and family.

Condolences to Matt and the Cassel family.
I'm pleased that his Dad got to see his son shine in his NFL season.

If Cassel decides to play on Sunday, I pray that he will have similar success. OTOH, if Cassel decides he needs to take some time to grieve, I'm not going to argue that with him--and neither, I suspect, will anyone on the team.

And neither should any of us as fans nor should the talking heads..........
Condolences and thoughts and prayers...........

Condolences to Matt and his family.

terrible situation to be in! All the best to the Cassels!!

was this expected?

was this expected?

I can't answer that question, because the only article mentioning his father's death explicitly is the Herald article. Even the Globe article only specifies "a death in the family."

Terrible news and my heart goes out to Cassel and his family. In a morbid coincidence, didn't Favre lose his father right before a game vs. the Raiders as well?

Terrible news and my heart goes out to Cassel and his family. In a morbid coincidence, didn't Favre lose his father right before a game vs. the Raiders as well?

Yes. Probable heart attack, about 24 hours before.

Dear Heavenly Father, please comfort Matt, Jack, Justin, Amanda, and those friends and family affected by Greg's passing, with the sure knowledge of Your promise given through the sacrifice of Your Son. Gather Greg into Your arms, help his children, friends, and other family to know You better, to seek Your Face for answers and to be strengthened and renewed by Your Word. We ask all in the name of our Savior and Redeemer, ************. Amen.

Amen. Standing in agreement to that. All prayers and thoughts to the Cassel family.

This is horrible news. Condolences to the Cassel family. :(

RIP Mr. Cassel.

Another star burning bright in the sky.

My deepest sympathy to Matt and his family - May Jesus be with you throughout this tragedy and always.

At least Father Cassel died a proud man seeing his son finally make it as a starter in the NFL :(

Now shock the world Matt and take your team to the playoffs as Dad will be watching proudly from above

Last edited:
BB's father passed away the night before playing Cleveland a few years ago. Interesting how Favre's dad died before the Packers played the Raiders, now another quarterback's father dies before playing the Raiders. My assumption is that Matt will play Sunday. He has time to deal with the shock and regain his focus, but the grieving process is different with everyone.

Last edited:
Hopefully Matt can take some solace in knowing that his Dad left this earth while Matt was the star of one of the NFL's top teams - a long way from where his stock was just a few short months ago.

This is terrible news! My thoughts are with Matt and the entire Cassel family.

And, FWIW, the Globe confirms it:

Greg Cassel, the father of Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel, has passed away, a league source confirmed to the Globe.

In a profile of Matt Cassel by the Globe's Bob Hohler in September, Greg Cassel was described as "longtime Hollywood script writer who never hit it big but kept trying, even after he launched a second career as a horse trainer."

Greg and Barbara Cassel divorced in 1996, and Matt and his three siblings were raised by his mother, though, according to Hohler's article, Greg Cassel remained influential in his kids' lives and was "instrumental in coaching and raising the children before the divorce."

that's terrible.

At least he got to see his son play some great football before he passed on.

Sorry matt, my thoughts are with you and your family.

+1 :( :( :(

Does it mean that we will see our ROOKIE QB this Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News