PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Cassel loses his father

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so heartbreaking and hurts so much to me for some reason. Just around the Holidays and finally getting to see his son play. My condolences soar out to Matt and his entire family. Thoughts and prayers also.

That is extremely unfortunate. I can't imagine the difficulty he must be facing in trying to balance his family-work life right now.

Hopefully he can perform in Oakland much like Brett Favre did when his father died, but I realize that is only secondary. Football is just a game, and Cassel has to have an extremely heavy heart right now. Honestly, I don't know how he can even fathom on concentrating on football right now.

Oh... very sad news for Matt and his family. My condolences to them.

Wow this is terrible news, I hope Matt is able to fight through this. Any word on how his father died? I guess what Im asking is, was it expected at all?

If Matt does indeed play it might be a performance like Favre had when he played the Raiders the week his father died. Or maybe even like Matt Bryant against the Packers when his son died. It amazes me how tough some people are.

I don't get the comparing Matt to Brett Farve. Each situation is unique. If he doesn't want to play it's understandable and no one should start questioning his decision should that happen (I think he will play).

Not saying that our season is more important than one of the players losing his father at a young age, but what more could possibly happen to this team? This season is more like a Greek tragedy than anything else.

We really dont know the situation , but it is his dad, and after reading the globe, You have to wonder if Matt was thinking about helping his dad , when he reached FA , out who fell on hard times.. And would maybee came to the game since it was in calif ... Its sad very sad, and all we could do is hope for his family the best..

Last edited:
My thoughts and prayers go out to Matty and his family.

If he plays Sunday I hope he has the Game Of His Life. This has been quite a year for our boy and I'm glad his Dad got to see him perform out there.

Very sad news indeed :(

The Globe has a piece on Cassel's dad. Allow me to post a couple of excerpts:

Greg Cassel's death, at 57, . . .

A spokeswoman for the San Bernardino County Sheriff-Coroner's Department said the preliminary findings indicate Mr. Cassel, a former Hollywood script writer, died in his home of natural causes. . . .

"At this point, we don't see any signs of trauma," Sandy Fadland said. "It appears to be a natural death." . . .

Funeral services for Cassel's father are scheduled for Monday in Granada Hills.

Though he and Barbara had long been estranged, Mr. Cassel called her that afternoon after Matt helped lead the Patriots to victory.

"Is this a great day or what?" he told her.

Last edited:
My heart goes out to the Cassel family. Its horrible to lose someone you love at this time of year. Matt's dad should be very proud of what his son has done this year and will continue to be proud seeing him only get better up with God and Jesus up in Heaven.

I don't get the comparing Matt to Brett Farve. Each situation is unique. If he doesn't want to play it's understandable and no one should start questioning his decision should that happen (I think he will play).

Not saying that our season is more important than one of the players losing his father at a young age, but what more could possibly happen to this team? This season is more like a Greek tragedy than anything else.

JMarr, I don't get this comparison either. It just seems inappropriate.

That being said I hope the TEAM goes out there and puts in that extra effort to bring Matt into their football family and get a win (for the sake of comaradie). It would take, for a moment, his mind off of things and that sense of belonging, which happens in most sports, is a comforting feeling.

Come on players, lets see what you got. I would love to see Cassel out there fighting with the guys on Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back