PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Cassel loses his father

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible news. But hey, couldn't O'Connell beat the Raiders?

Terrible news. But hey, couldn't O'Connell beat the Raiders?

Dunno. Kinda doubt it; he's a raw rook. I don't want to find out but if Matt doesn't play for whatever reason then I'm all for The Mick winning in his 1st start. That would be wicked pissah, two QBs starting and winning their 1st games in the same season on the same team.

Dear Heavenly Father, please comfort Matt, Jack, Justin, Amanda, and those friends and family affected by Greg's passing, with the sure knowledge of Your promise given through the sacrifice of Your Son. Gather Greg into Your arms, help his children, friends, and other family to know You better, to seek Your Face for answers and to be strengthened and renewed by Your Word. We ask all in the name of our Savior and Redeemer, ************. Amen.

Couldn't have said it any better than that, amen

Thoughts and prayers...

Does it mean that we will see our ROOKIE QB this Sunday?

Thoughts and prayers to the Cassel family. Looks like O'Connell might be starting this weekend:

AT&T

Thoughts and prayers to the Cassel family. Looks like O'Connell might be starting this weekend:

AT&T

All I will say is this. . . . if you asked me "Who starts on Sunday?" I wouldn't wager any money at this point.

Sorry if this is a repeat:

Not to be too morbid, but when Brett Favre lost his father, Brett responded with a game for the ages...AT OAKLAND.

Wow, guess where the Patriots are playing this weekend.

Prayers for Cassel and his family, they come first, as always. Nothing else matters right now for him and his family.

Bob G

AT&T

That's a pretty bad re-telling of Bills comments, though.

Odds are the funeral would be Thursday at the latest, may have been today. Regardless, football is only football. It would sure be interesting to have Kevin fill in for a week and still win.

If Cassel decides to play on Sunday, I pray that he will have similar success. OTOH, if Cassel decides he needs to take some time to grieve, I'm not going to argue that with him--and neither, I suspect, will anyone on the team.

Fahk that! this is professional football, suck it up, the show must go onIf he doesn't play Sunday, you sit him for the rest of the season

Everyones heart goes out to him, but this is a team and every one has problems, he needs to juggle them out just like everyone else.

The only difference he is this teams only experienced quarterback, he misses the next game that could ultimately end the 2009 campaign.

Last edited:
Fahk that! this is professional football, suck it up, the show must go onIf he doesn't play Sunday, you sit him for the rest of the season

Everyones heart goes out to him, but this is a team and every one has problems, he needs to juggle them out just like everyone else.

The only difference he is this teams only experienced quarterback, he misses the next game that could ultimately end the 2009 campaign.

Thank you for the heart felt sentiments,You sure speak for those who think Football means more than the aftermath of the death of your dad :rolleyes:

And neither should any of us as fans nor should the talking heads..........
Condolences and thoughts and prayers...........

DONT SPEAK FOR ME ASZ NUGGET!!! He plays or sits the season, period.
THIS IS A PROFESSIONAL TEAM, and he has made a commitment.

This happens all the time, and not to older parents, to players children, and spouses, and ya know what they do, hold mass and funerals on days other than Sunday, and they take a few days off, and come back and....

THEIR TEAMMATES RALLY AROUND THEM AND HAVE MONSTER GAMES!
What better place to get all that emotion out than playing some football!!!

Thank you for the heart felt sentiments,You sure speak for those who think Football means more than the aftermath of the death of your dad :rolleyes:

They are taught on Pop Warner, high school, and college fields their entire lives, that football is more than a sport. Its a family that is there for you, that depends on you, that needs you as much as you need them, football transcends the field, and if you have never played, you wouldn't know.

Sorry for Matt.
Losing your dad is one of the lowest points in most men's life.

Last edited:
Last year I seem to remember a Kicker who played for,, maybe the Giants, anyway I think it was his child who died and the team refused to give him the game off. I could be completely off on this.

Does anyone remember that situation?

Last edited:
They are taught on Pop Warner, high school, and college fields their entire lives, that football is more than a sport. Its a family that is there for you, that depends on you, that needs you as much as you need them, football transcends the field, and if you have never played, you wouldn't know.
Give it up, man. No matter what gets written here, Matt will decide what is the best thing to do, and we'll be fine with it.

Last year I seem to remember a Kicker who played for,, maybe the Giants, anyway I think it was his child who died and the team refused to give him the game off. I could be completely off on this.

Does anyone remember that situation?

Matt Bryant's baby son died this season, and he ended up playing just days after the funeral, and winning the game for them. From what I read, it seems that he wanted to play to honor his son's memory, and not that the Bucs made him play. Not sure if that's what you're thinking of?

speak for yourself, he doesn't play Sunday, I wash my hands with him

You should wash your hands of the whole team, even if he does play. That'll teach'em all

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes