PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney vs. Sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesoslo

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Sanders is good at stoping power runners but how is he against shifty elusive backs that are tough as nails like maroney?
Maroney has the ability to cut back across the field, so if sanders commits he wont be able to recover.

Last edited:
Re: Maroney VS Sanders

Sanders is good at stoping power runners but how is he against shifty elusive backs that are tough as nails like maroney?
Maroney has the ability to cut back across the field, so if sanders commits he wont be able to recover.

Sanders is great against all kinds of backs, but he can't be in two places at the same time. He can't be playing a deep cover -2 to prevent against Moss AND playing the run at the same time. So, play action will be huge, as always.

I like Lawrence, but that's the first time on our board I have heard Maroney described as "tough as nails".

yes but Maroney is tough as nails and tough to take down, sanders just cant come with speed and plug holes and have the lbs or the dline arm tackle maroney.

In the AFC game last year we did not have Randy moss so sanders cant play too close to the line.

Sanders is great against all kinds of backs, but he can't be in two places at the same time. He can't be playing a deep cover -2 to prevent against Moss AND playing the run at the same time.

According to Colts fans, Sanders can indeed be at two places at the same time. Three actually... between plays he runs out of the RCA Dome and saves kittens from burning buildings, and still makes it back in time to tackle Maroney for a loss... it's all part of being the greatest defender ever to step on the field.

According to Colts fans, Sanders can indeed be at two places at the same time. Three actually... between plays he runs out of the RCA Dome and saves kittens from burning buildings, and still makes it back in time to tackle Maroney for a loss... it's all part of being the greatest defender ever to step on the field.

How can this be? Everyone knows it's the 'mad samoian' Troy Polomalu! :eek:
/sarcasm off

If Sanders cheats even a little, Pats will use play action and burn them deep, Colts are in trouble

Pats 45
Colts 17:rocker:

How can this be? Everyone knows it's the 'mad samoian' Troy Polomalu! :eek:
/sarcasm off

No way, the way people talk about Sanders is so much more annoying than anything I have heard about Polamalu, and I live about 2 hours away from Pittsburgh.

Sanders is a tackling machine. Put him in the box and can eat up a running game (as we have seen). But if they put him in the box, we have too many guys who will get behind him for big gains. So he will hang back, and hit Maroney and Faulk 6-8 yards downfield. Just like Sean Taylor did.

Saying Maroney is tough as nails is laughable at best.

Sanders wants to play at the line of scrimmage, he is pretty much one dimensional in this regards. He doesn't have great cover skills and if the pats force him to stay in a deep cover 2 that will pretty much take him out of the game. The same way taylor and rhodes were non factors

Injuries are a part of football, so you should not use an injury to judge a players toughness.

To me toughness is the willingness to hit holes and drive legs(after contact) rather than just fall down and not get hurt and play for like 8 seasons with out any injuries.

Maroney's head is huge, so is his jaw, the guy is made to be a battering ram, throw in some agility and cutback visions, you got your self a hammer.

Something about hammer and nails and tough as nails?

Last edited:

Didn't Maroney lead the league in yards after contact last year? Yes he's had some injuries, but on the football field he's a tough runner to bring down, as witnessed by the play against Washington where he shrugged of the DE and reversed field for a nice gain. Some of you people can dog him all you want, but the truth is he's a very talented player.

One of the interesting things I saw in the Washington game was they used Welker to come out of the slot and block London Fletcher and he was very successful. Fletcher is obviously bigger than Sanders but not as quick or explosive. So I'm not sure I want Welker colliding with Sanders on every running play but with Watson returning I could see the Pats using him in a similar manner on Sanders who much like Fletcher keys the run defense for the cover two for each team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News