PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

23 PTP Board/Draft thoughts

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Offense

Tackle is pretty thin up top but especially in the middle round imo, late isn't great either. This is definitely a group you need to do your homework on bc the talent just isn't there you need to coach up most of this class from day 1. Which isn't something you'd normally expect from a top 30-40 prospect.

Wright is the most NFL ready imo. Powerful, athletic, plays with attitude and supposedly has a little bit off the field too. Still he's a PTP that would plug and play with Onwenu. Those two would be destroying people on down blocks and in our power scheme.

Skoronski is a gem. That kid will be a great player for a long time. Some of the better feet and lateral quicks I've seen in the last 5-10 years. NFL rushers are freaks and he does let guys into his chest but his recovery is special. Still idk what position he'll play I'm a wanna be scout not coach so it's not up to me. If we didn't have Strange he would be a huge target and still might be if we're comfortably with his pass pro.

I love Harrison he's got a very good all around game but was in a RPO heavy scheme in college so there's little tape of him facing sets he'll see 60% of the time next level.

Dawand Jones is interesting bc of his size but doesn't have great recovery and has slow feet. Some of the heaviest hands in the class though and was a leader on that line.

Asim Richards and Wanya Morris are two that don't get talked about enough. Potential swing tackles. Wanya has the talent and everything you'd want but has to improve his hands and pad level. Richards is more consistent but the upside isn't there. Lacks recovery and has trouble against power rushers with inside moves.

Carter Warren and Warren McClendon are great guys in the locker room and Carter could provide some versatility kicking inside bc his feet are a tick slow. Great length but it doesn't save him enough.

Anthony Bradford is someone I think well look at hard. Will be a natural fit in a power/gap scheme.

Juice Scruggs is someone that just screams NEP too. Very smart heady prospect you can't fool with games up front or intimidate. Plus hands and ability to reach the 2nd level.

Bijan Robinson is a tremendous talent that would be perfect here. Natural running iz, duo, wind back. Ran a ton of that in college. Not so much a perfect OZ fit but he's perfect for what we like to do here. Needs work on pass pro but isn't bad. Can catch. He's going to be a great back.

Zach Evans is a monster and save Robinson could be the best back in the class but is a bit of a headache of the field. It'll be interesting to see how teams view him. Great talent but he's had multiple issues with the staff and outside of school in his private life that make him look impulsive and selfish. Love his game though.

Roschon Johnson is a great fit here for gap/power. Contact balance and burst are extremely important for backs and he's got both along with plus vision and power. Great pass pro. Can catch and shows promise there.

Tiyon Evans is another monster that plays with some nasty and fight. Another fit here for what we've normally done. Lots of promise in pp shows no fear and doesn't lack effort. Technique needs work but he's got a lot of promise.

I've mentioned Eric Gray a few times and I love his fit here. Natural gap runner. One of the better rec backs in the class and rr. Very comfortable running routes or hanging in flat for a dump off. Lots of promise in pp.

Will continue to update this thread. @Ian can merge if you want. Just wanted this out there.

2023 PTP Board not changing

Offense

Tackle is pretty thin up top but especially in the middle round imo, late isn't great either. This is definitely a group you need to do your homework on bc the talent just isn't there you need to coach up most of this class from day 1. Which isn't something you'd normally expect from a top 30-40 prospect.

Wright is the most NFL ready imo. Powerful, athletic, plays with attitude and supposedly has a little bit off the field too. Still he's a PTP that would plug and play with Onwenu. Those two would be destroying people on down blocks and in our power scheme.

Skoronski is a gem. That kid will be a great player for a long time. Some of the better feet and lateral quicks I've seen in the last 5-10 years. NFL rushers are freaks and he does let guys into his chest but his recovery is special. Still idk what position he'll play I'm a wanna be scout not coach so it's not up to me. If we didn't have Strange he would be a huge target and still might be if we're comfortably with his pass pro.

I love Harrison he's got a very good all around game but was in a RPO heavy scheme in college so there's little tape of him facing sets he'll see 60% of the time next level.

Dawand Jones is interesting bc of his size but doesn't have great recovery and has slow feet. Some of the heaviest hands in the class though and was a leader on that line.

Asim Richards and Wanya Morris are two that don't get talked about enough. Potential swing tackles. Wanya has the talent and everything you'd want but has to improve his hands and pad level. Richards is more consistent but the upside isn't there. Lacks recovery and has trouble against power rushers with inside moves.

Carter Warren and Warren McClendon are great guys in the locker room and Carter could provide some versatility kicking inside bc his feet are a tick slow. Great length but it doesn't save him enough.

Anthony Bradford is someone I think well look at hard. Will be a natural fit in a power/gap scheme.

Juice Scruggs is someone that just screams NEP too. Very smart heady prospect you can't fool with games up front or intimidate. Plus hands and ability to reach the 2nd level.

Bijan Robinson is a tremendous talent that would be perfect here. Natural running iz, duo, wind back. Ran a ton of that in college. Not so much a perfect OZ fit but he's perfect for what we like to do here. Needs work on pass pro but isn't bad. Can catch. He's going to be a great back.

Zach Evans is a monster and save Robinson could be the best back in the class but is a bit of a headache of the field. It'll be interesting to see how teams view him. Great talent but he's had multiple issues with the staff and outside of school in his private life that make him look impulsive and selfish. Love his game though.

Roschon Johnson is a great fit here for gap/power. Contact balance and burst are extremely important for backs and he's got both along with plus vision and power. Great pass pro. Can catch and shows promise there.

Tiyon Evans is another monster that plays with some nasty and fight. Another fit here for what we've normally done. Lots of promise in pp shows no fear and doesn't lack effort. Technique needs work but he's got a lot of promise.

I've mentioned Eric Gray a few times and I love his fit here. Natural gap runner. One of the better rec backs in the class and rr. Very comfortable running routes or hanging in flat for a dump off. Lots of promise in pp.

Will continue to update this thread. @Ian can merge if you want. Just wanted this out there.

Thanks for all the work you do every year, brother. Enjoy the draft!

Dalton Kincaid is super intriguing as a big slot/Z. He's almost 25 and has real injury concerns though. He's an excellent rr in the mof and just a natural bending the seam. Great hands, tracking and hand/eye coordination. I love him but not at 14.

Washington is one of the more athletic rr in the class, the best blocker and leads all TE coming out in missed tackles per rec, yards per target average, yac per rec and a bunch of others. Again not at 14 but you want him on your team.

Schoonmaker is someone I really really like. If Washington isn't the best blocker I the class it's Schoonmaker. Can sink and explode out his breaks. Big boy that has plus game speed and acceleration. Didn't shine in a run heavy offense that did him no favors but he's got so much potential as a great all around TE. Musgrave is another super athletic TE that can move. You can move him all over and he's got a great attitude. Someone you want on your team. Injury history but if healthy could be the best TE from the class.

LaPorta is a yac machine that is a killer in the MOF. Has to get stronger too easily brought down. Lots of potential blocking in space. He's a going to catch a lot of balls in this league imo. Great safety blanket.

Flowers and JSN really scream NEP. Both are extremely sudden, efficient and poised in short areas. JSN has a better release package but Flowers is very good off the line with potential to develop outside vs press. Both would be day 1 slot/z starters and arguably WR1 by the end of OCT imo
Addison is someone quickly mentioned along side the two above and probably has the best catch radius out of the 3 and all the smaller WR in the class. Smaller less athletic Devonta Smith.

Offense

Went quickly through tackles and my scepticism was reconfirmed unfortunately. I wouldnt pick anyone in 1st in a normal year outside Paris at the bottom.

The guy i like is Saldiveri on Day 2.

If not CB or Edge then the only guy id take at #14 - if forced - is Zay - and i cant believe im even typing this since i dont care about drafting WRs esp for NE : )

AT Perry is a great locker room guy and prototype X but can play slot or z. He's limited in terms of what he'll bring but has WR3 upside.

Tillman is another prototype X but came from a Tenn offense that only ran half the field so his route tree is limited but that's not to say he cant. Has some injuries but is a dog and plays like it.

Mingo is a great blocker, athletic af but didn't produce until recently. Which is a red flag for WR. He can play anywhere and I mean anywhere. X, slot, z, inline, backfield. Plus hands and catch radius but never put it all together that showed he could be anything more than WR3. Potential is there but needs development.

Johnston is another guy that could and probably should play everywhere bc of his unique yac abilities at 6'2/210. Runs violent routes although has a limited tree he played with Duggan at TCU. He actually played like 25% from the slot and is a natural big slot rec. Has concentration drops and tracking issues at times but hes shown a ton of potential.

BGC. Thank you !!!

I've been looking for your PTP Board for the last 2 weeks. I never watch college games, but I love to watch and understand the draft. I use your PTP Board and CBS Sports write-ups on "your" players and not only learn about the intrigue of the draft and what players to root for the Patriots to draft - but also to find "binkies" that I want to see what happens to them. (But now I see from the post that you have added to it - so I will now learn about the "new" players to the list). All the sports sites only focus on the players that will go in the first round. But your PTP Board helps me know more about those players that are not first round picks (which is 90% of the team stocking process). So I say THANK-YOU. My binkies (thanks to you) are Isaiah Foskey, Cody Mauch, Blake Freehand, Jonathan Mango, Riley Moss, Luke Schoonmaker, Daniel Scott, Yasir Abdullah, Yaya Diary, and Andrei Iosivas. And now I will go over you "revised" PTP Board to pick up more info and "binkies". It makes for a great weekend !!!!

BGC. Thank you !!!

I've been looking for your PTP Board for the last 2 weeks. I never watch college games, but I love to watch and understand the draft. I use your PTP Board and CBS Sports write-ups on "your" players and not only learn about the intrigue of the draft and what players to root for the Patriots to draft - but also to find "binkies" that I want to see what happens to them. (But now I see from the post that you have added to it - so I will now learn about the "new" players to the list). All the sports sites only focus on the players that will go in the first round. But your PTP Board helps me know more about those players that are not first round picks (which is 90% of the team stocking process). So I say THANK-YOU. My binkies (thanks to you) are Isaiah Foskey, Cody Mauch, Blake Freehand, Jonathan Mango, Riley Moss, Luke Schoonmaker, Daniel Scott, Yasir Abdullah, Yaya Diary, and Andrei Iosivas. And now I will go over you "revised" PTP Board to pick up more info and "binkies". It makes for a great weekend !!!!
Good stuff man. Appreciate the kind words. Sorry I put it out a few weeks ago but really shaped it up tonight. Hopefully I'll get lucky. Didn't count the # but i think it's realistic.

Hope we get one of your binkies too that's one of the best things about this. You get introduced early and then following them throughout.

Pitts, London and Robinson are quite the trio. I've been a huge Ridder fan so I'm psyched they're going all in around him.

Think I called/mentioned this a week or so ago

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back