PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark Schlereth, Two-faced liar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually they gain, like Golic. They eat the same but no longer must workout. After a couple years they say, "Whoa, when did I get fat?" Then they sign on with Nutri-System like Dan Marino.:D

Schlereth just found Nutri-System before Marino and Golic.:rolleyes:

Players who have to work to keep the weight on, or to add pounds to get to the requested size. tend to end up dropping weight after playing. Big fat guys who constantly struggle to make weight tend to balloon up when they retire. It's a matter of metabolism and health, and doesn't have to be some insidious result of steroid use.

Last edited:
Players who have to work to keep the weight on, or to add pounds to get to the requested size. tend to end up dropping weight after playing. Big fat guys who constantly struggle to make weight tend to balloon up when they retire. It's a matter of metabolism and health, and doesn't have to be some insidious result of steroid use.

rumor, speculation and innuendo. couldn't happen to a more deserving person or network.

Dude, we're talking about 70-80lbs. That is NOT just a matter of "added lbs"...he played in the steroid era, he dropped a monstrous amount of weight (show me one other O-lineman of this era that dropped that much weight that quickly after retirement...this dude lost it all long before he did ads for Nutrisystem and lost as much, if not more, muscle than fat) why is it hard for you to accept that there was a HUGE chance that his massive body changes were not natural? Those who "lose weight" as you describe are usually running backs, linebackers, and other "nimble athletes" who pack on the weight to be extra competitive at the pro level, not O-linemen like Schlereth, moreover, those who drop weight in your scenario after playing usually drop 10-25lbs, not 70-80...you and I usually seem to be on similar channels but I think you're watching Nick at Nite and the rest of us are watching Discovery on this one...bottom line, Schwarzenegger still has more body mass after giving up Juice than Schlereth does in maybe 1/4 of the time away from 'Roids...can you honestly say that you don't think it's highly likely?

Dude, we're talking about 70-80lbs. That is NOT just a matter of "added lbs"...he played in the steroid era, he dropped a monstrous amount of weight (show me one other O-lineman of this era that dropped that much weight that quickly after retirement...this dude lost it all long before he did ads for Nutrisystem and lost as much, if not more, muscle than fat) why is it hard for you to accept that there was a HUGE chance that his massive body changes were not natural? Those who "lose weight" as you describe are usually running backs, linebackers, and other "nimble athletes" who pack on the weight to be extra competitive at the pro level, not O-linemen like Schlereth, moreover, those who drop weight in your scenario after playing usually drop 10-25lbs, not 70-80...you and I usually seem to be on similar channels but I think you're watching Nick at Nite and the rest of us are watching Discovery on this one...bottom line, Schwarzenegger still has more body mass after giving up Juice than Schlereth does in maybe 1/4 of the time away from 'Roids...can you honestly say that you don't think it's highly likely?

Given that I've seen it personally on numerous occasions, yes.

Given that I've seen it personally on numerous occasions, yes.

Seen it personally in what sense? Not trying to tear you down, but curious what "personally" refers to specifically.

Seen it personally in what sense? Not trying to tear you down, but curious what "personally" refers to specifically.

I've seen players both gain and drop major weight after their careers ended.

Who aside from Schlereth in a comparable period of time for a comparable amount of weight? Drop, obviously...gain has absolutely no relevance here.

Who aside from Schlereth in a comparable period of time for a comparable amount of weight? Drop, obviously...gain has absolutely no relevance here.

I don't pretend to know for sure the actual number of pounds lost by any of them, including Schlereth, although I'll list what others have stated for him. I can tell you that Schlereth played light for an offensive lineman. Science/medicine also seems to show that a lot of players are packing on the pounds for football:

# Only 10 percent of deceased players born from 1905 through 1914 were obese while active. Today, 56 percent of all players on NFL rosters are considered obese.

# The average weight in the NFL has grown 10 percent since 1985 to a current average of 248 pounds. The heaviest position, offensive tackle, went from 281 pounds two decades ago to 318 pounds.

By the way, Profootballreference.com pegs Schlereth at 282 when he was in the NFL. This story has him struggling to maintain a mandated minimum of 285:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2006/10/29/a1b_nflweight_1029.html

Brad Culpepper, noted in the same article, had the same problem keeping on the weight and is also down to about 205 lbs from his playing weight of about 280.

I don't pretend to know for sure the actual number of pounds lost by any of them, including Schlereth, although I'll list what others have stated for him. I can tell you that Schlereth played light for an offensive lineman. Science/medicine also seems to show that a lot of players are packing on the pounds for football:

By the way, Profootballreference.com pegs Schlereth at 282 when he was in the NFL. This story has him struggling to maintain a mandated minimum of 285:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2006/10/29/a1b_nflweight_1029.html

Brad Culpepper, noted in the same article, had the same problem keeping on the weight and is also down to about 205 lbs from his playing weight.
Interesting article but 2 guys, one of whom we were already discussing, hardly qualifies as "numerous", and reading about it in the Palm Beach Post hardly qualifies as "personally". I still think he juiced, as many players of the era did. Not even Long, who played fairly small, lost the kind of weight in the kind of time that Schlereth did. His whole body changed. You don't see that often, at least I don't. Witness the parade of has-beens they run through NFL network - none shrivel like Schlereth, even the RBs and QBs typically gain weight. To lose 75 lbs of muscle and fat typically takes effort and time, or just the removal of an outside influence. OK, not always, but more often than not.

NOBODY loses 50 lbs. of muscle after stopping working out...UNLESS they used steroids. So yes, a huge drop in weight would have something to do with steroid use mon frere. You can't put on 50 lbs of muscle without steroid either. Have you ever tried just putting on 10-15 lbs of pure muscle? Without substances like creatine, hgh or steroids, it would take you a year of intense workouts...unless you're a pencil neck to begin with. Then you'd have an advantage.

Interesting article but 2 guys, one of whom we were already discussing, hardly qualifies as "numerous", and reading about it in the Palm Beach Post hardly qualifies as "personally". I still think he juiced, as many players of the era did. Not even Long, who played fairly small, lost the kind of weight in the kind of time that Schlereth did. His whole body changed. You don't see that often, at least I don't. Witness the parade of has-beens they run through NFL network - none shrivel like Schlereth, even the RBs and QBs typically gain weight. To lose 75 lbs of muscle and fat typically takes effort and time, or just the removal of an outside influence. OK, not always, but more often than not.

Here was your question:

Who aside from Schlereth in a comparable period of time for a comparable amount of weight?

I answered your question and provided evidence. I found an article which pointed out another NFL player who lost almost exactly the same amount of weight and talked about both the general weight gain for players over the past 20 years and the struggles some players have reaching and maintaining that weight. I'm not going to play the "Name them all ..." game with you. However, just to point out one more that's both well known and recent, Kyle Turley, listed on NFL.com at over 300 lbs, dropped down to about 235 lbs according to his own words after hurting his back, before bulking up again for his comeback.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/archive/index.php/t-142234.html

Brad Culpepper, noted in the same article, had the same problem keeping on the weight and is also down to about 205 lbs from his playing weight of about 280.

Mr Culpepper had to have used steroids. If his natural weight is 205 (and I'm sure he still works out), then he could not have put on 75 lbs of muscle without aid. Anyone who knows anything about this will confirm my comments.

Last edited:
Mr Culpepper had to have used steroids. If his natural weight is 205 (and I'm sure he still works out), then he could not have put on 75 lbs of muscle without aid. Anyone who knows anything about this will confirm my comments.

Ask anyone who lifts weights to explain it to you. Well, don't ask just anyone. Look it up or find a guy who's really into it. They'll be able to explain it.

Last edited:

I can state for a fact, no one can put on and/or take off 70-80 lbs. without steroids. I can't believe this is being debated. Especially the comment about the guy who dropped 70 lbs when he hurt his back & then put is back on again. It takes year to gain 25 lbs of muscle naturally.

Stop this foolish conversation. I just stated the facts. say what you want, but they can't be debated.

Ask anyone who lifts weights to explain it to you.

I'm a guy who has lifted without any substance of ANY kind since high school and I'm 49 years old. I know a lot about adding muscle. I also work for a vitamin & supplement manufacturer for a living. I don't need to ask anyone anything about adding muscle.

Tell me how you could put on 70 lbs of muscle in a year naturally. I'll be waiting.:rolleyes:

BTW...steroid use in college & in the NFL is still rampant. As a matter of fact, it is much, much more advanced than ever. Or did you not know this? I am also on a committee in my town that attempts to stop our high school students & athletes from ever using steroids, hgh, creatine or just dumping every amino acid known to man into their bodies to bulk up. We encourage our students to report any steroid use they are aware of and tell them in this case "ratting out" your team mates is the right thing to do. Basically, we have a zero tolerance policy. If someone is caught, they can't play any sports in our schools ever.

Last edited:
I'm a guy who has lifted without any substance of ANY kind since high school and I'm 49 years old. I know a lot about adding muscle. I also work for a vitamin & supplement manufacturer for a living. I don't need to ask anyone anything about adding muscle.

Tell me how you could put on 70 lbs of muscle in a year naturally. I'll be waiting.:rolleyes:

BTW...steroid use in the NFL is still rampant. Or did you not know this?

Who claimed that 70 pounds of muscle was put on in one year?

Who claimed that 70 pounds of muscle was put on in one year?

You are the one who wrote:

However, just to point out one more that's both well known and recent, Kyle Turley, listed on NFL.com at over 300 lbs, dropped down to about 235 lbs according to his own words after hurting his back, before bulking up again for his comeback.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/archive/index.php/t-142234.html

So how long was Mr Turley out with a bad back? I'm sure it wasn't 3 or 4 years.

You are the one who wrote:

So how long was Mr Turley out with a bad back? I'm sure it wasn't 3 or 4 years.

1.) He was out for about 2.5 years

2.) You should have read the article rather than just posting based upon a knee-jerk reaction. You'll notice that at the time of the Q&A, he'd gone from a low of 235 back up to about 275. He was still working on putting weight back on.

Last edited:

What these 2 sites do not address is that there is a natural limit to muscle mass gain for everyone. All the protein powders & weight lifting in the world won't get one beyond that limit. You can't add 40% of your body weight in muscle in a year, period.

But I will say that if you're talking about putting on 35 lbs of muscle and 35 lbs of fat, of course that is possible with the trainers these guys have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes