PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning to Retire?

I would be surprised if Peyton retires. If I were Peyton, I wouldn't want my worse game to be my last game ever.

He may not have a choice if his neck is attached to the rest of his body by a piece of linguine.

The Practice Squad deserves a new thread

Because every year the preseason SOS ends up being one thing, then the actual SOS at the end of the year is considerably different.

Hey, I recognize that this is the offseason so there's not much to talk about.... but preseason SOS is beyond worthless.

So last year, Denver played (in order of goodness):

Indy
Philly
Dallas
Tennessee
NY Giants
Tennessee
Washington
Jacksonville
Houston

And this year, they get:

Seattle
San Francisco
New England
Arizona
Miami
St. Louis
Jets
Bills

Yep, no difference there...except that the top four (at least) are better than anyone they played via divisional match-ups last year...and there is no way those top three teams this year aren't better than Indy.

They're lucky, though, because none of those NFC West teams can rush the passer, as we saw in the SB.

Indy
Philly
Dallas
Tennessee
NY Giants
Tennessee
Washington
Jacksonville
Houston

And this year, they get:

Seattle
San Francisco
New England
Arizona
Miami
St. Louis
Jets
Bills

Yep, no difference there...except that the top four (at least) are better than anyone they played via divisional match-ups last year...and there is no way those top three teams this year aren't better than Indy.

They're lucky, though, because none of those NFC West teams can rush the passer, as we saw in the SB.

If the NFC West stays healthy it's going to be hilarious watching that soft, finesse Denver team trying to run that gauntlet. Manning had better keep his head on a swivel. That division is a great example of why the Pats need to get more aggressive, athletic, and physical on the defensive side of the ball.

He may not have a choice if his neck is attached to the rest of his body by a piece of linguine.

Hopefully that isn't the case; I think we'd all feel a void if he retired.

Who would be capable of filling his shoes as the big villain we all love to hate on?

Indy
Philly
Dallas
Tennessee
NY Giants
Tennessee
Washington
Jacksonville
Houston

And this year, they get:

Seattle
San Francisco
New England
Arizona
Miami
St. Louis
Jets
Bills

You left off the Patriots from your list of teams the Broncos played this year...perhaps you would like to forget that game. You also left off Baltimore.

Let's not forget that BOTH AFC Wildcard teams came out of the Broncos' division this year too, so that's another 4 games against playoff teams...7 in total.

The Broncos have the second most difficult strength of schedule next year, though...based on what happened this year, anyway.

Who would be capable of filling his shoes as the big villain we all love to hate on?

Not sure. I would be bittersweet about it. If he retires, it's good for the Pats because it makes their path to championships easier. But, at the same time, you know that it's probably going to be only a couple of more years before Brady follows him.

choosing not to use one's real name doesn't mean that someone is inherently unreliable.

I'm living proof.

You've convinced me.

Still trust Incarcerated Bob about as far as I can throw him.

Generally I agree. I love the Brady/Manning and Manning/Belichick rivalries.

But after watching how much the Broncos benefited from the inconsistent officiating this season, I would tend to want them removed from the picture sooner than later. Their passing offense gets away with murder out there and its hard to compete with that.

Not that we played very well, but the outcome of the game is very different if the officiating didn't suck one-sidedly in the first half of that game. Not that I really am kicking myself over the chance to get run over by Seattle, anyway.

The point is, for years now, we've had to play Manning & the officials. But it's worse now than in Indy. That's no fun.

Generally I agree. I love the Brady/Manning and Manning/Belichick rivalries.

But after watching how much the Broncos benefited from the inconsistent officiating this season, I would tend to want them removed from the picture sooner than later. Their passing offense gets away with murder out there and its hard to compete with that.

Not that we played very well, but the outcome of the game is very different if the officiating didn't suck one-sidedly in the first half of that game. Not that I really am kicking myself over the chance to get run over by Seattle, anyway.

The point is, for years now, we've had to play Manning & the officials. But it's worse now than in Indy. That's no fun.

Aside from officiating (which I actually thought was good in the playoffs), I have to wonder what the hell the defensive gameplan was. Off man and zone coverage all game? The Seahawks showed that the best way to disrupt that timing is the press those receivers and, when they do catch a ball or two, hit them hard and punch them in the mouth. The Broncos looked absolutely pathetic in the Super Bowl and the Seahawks didn't do anything exotic to make it happen. They weren't interested in disguising their coverages. They just lined up and took it to them.

Indy
Philly
Dallas
Tennessee
NY Giants
Tennessee
Washington
Jacksonville
Houston

And this year, they get:

Seattle
San Francisco
New England
Arizona
Miami
St. Louis
Jets
Bills

Not sure what you list is but they played the Patriots last year.

Aside from officiating (which I actually thought was good in the playoffs), I have to wonder what the hell the defensive gameplan was. Off man and zone coverage all game? The Seahawks showed that the best way to disrupt that timing is the press those receivers and, when they do catch a ball or two, hit them hard and punch them in the mouth. The Broncos looked absolutely pathetic in the Super Bowl and the Seahawks didn't do anything exotic to make it happen. They weren't interested in disguising their coverages. They just lined up and took it to them.

Agree completely. And what makes it really interesting to me is that athletically the Seahawks are really no different than any other team in the NFL, it's not like they have a roster full of defenders who are much bigger and faster than other teams. What they do have on defense is a philosophy of keep it simple and just tee off and get after the other team, and that allows them to play much faster because they aren't spending their time debating what they have to do. I really hope Belichick takes a cue from this.

Medical science has advanced. A Dr Frankenstein has developed rust proof neck bolts.

Aside from officiating (which I actually thought was good in the playoffs), I have to wonder what the hell the defensive gameplan was. Off man and zone coverage all game?

I agree, but I think the gameplan went out the window when Welker took out Talib, unfortunately. The first time we played them, we were aggressive. Now I've pretty much tried to black the AFCCG game out of my mind, but we quickly forced a punt to start the game - granted I can't remember how much man we played with Talib in there.

Talib was going to largely neutralize Thomas. When he went down, the Broncos basically netted an All-Pro player for the game.

I agree, but I think the gameplan went out the window when Welker took out Talib, unfortunately. The first time we played them, we were aggressive. Now I've pretty much tried to black the AFCCG game out of my mind, but we quickly forced a punt to start the game - granted I can't remember how much man we played with Talib in there.

Talib was going to largely neutralize Thomas. When he went down, the Broncos basically netted an All-Pro player for the game.

If counting on Talib is the difference between winning and losing then they are not going to win anything significant any time soon.

Incarcerated Bob does not actually have sources. He just throws a bunch of darts at the wall, and once in awhile he'll hit one and then claim he broke the story first.

I'm living proof.

You've convinced me.

Still trust Incarcerated Bob about as far as I can throw him.

I'm with you on IB. I just found the idea that a nom de plume would somehow serve as an automatic disqualifier to be incredibly silly, given that people have used them for centuries.

The only thing (big emphasis on "only") that lends credence to incarcerated Bob's prediction is the reference to the role Manning's family will play in the reported "decision."

It does make sense that the opinion of his loved ones could influence him to retire, IF a medical examination and review of Manning's physical condition reveals that the risk of permanent or debilitating injury from continued play is now greater than it was before as a result of another season of hits in the context of his prior injuries. Remember, we only know what the Broncos and Mannings have chosen to reveal about his injuries and the associated risks. We have no idea how (or if) an additional year of play could have tipped the scales one way or the other, since the going in status is also unknown to us.

Otherwise, I don't see him retiring after losing the SB the way he did. It would look like he was running away and I don't see this guy leaving like that.

Incarcerated Bob does not actually have sources. He just throws a bunch of darts at the wall, and once in awhile he'll hit one and then claim he broke the story first.

people have gotten Pulitzers for less...

Otherwise, I don't see him retiring after losing the SB the way he did. It would look like he was running away and I don't see this guy leaving like that.

So he's never going to retire?

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back