PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning to Retire?

Incarcerated Bob has made a whole 'career' out of making crap up to get his name out there, I'm sure this is another example of that. He's already basically said that he's coming back unless his doctors tell him he can't, and nothing that Incarcerated Bob can say will move the needle on whether or not that's likely to change.

It would be a perfect time for PMoney (I knew an Indy fan who called Manning that, and yes, he was serious) to retire.

The Broncos are about to face a schedule that will be 26 games more difficult than last year's. The breakdown is 15 games tougher at home and 11 on the road, which in total is an increase in opponents winning % from .469 to .570. That's a huge difference.

He'd be coming off of a loss in the SB that everyone agreed they didn't have a chance to win. Some of our own fans here are even saying that the Pats would have been blown out too.

His arm is horrible and there's no way he gets lucky with the weather like he did this year. I'd be surprised if he made it through another year.

He won't retire though. He could end up being another Favre drama queen type. He definitely comes across as another Brees type stats master and will want to pad his totals.

If I had to put a % on P6's return, I'd put them at 99.998%. The other .002% is covered by the possibility that he could get hit while crossing a street.

Manning did say during SB week that he will meet with doctors and decide about playing more or retiring based upon the risks.
Personally, I think he has one more one and done in him.

I think you're selling him short. He could reach double figures easily.

Peyton Manning will return to Broncos for 2014 season - The Denver Post

The Broncos have a guaranteed $20 million salary waiting for Manning next season.

Manning is coming back for the 2014 season. And then he has two more years on his Broncos contract, though his $19 million salaries in 2015 and 2016 aren't guaranteed.

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

I'll go with this guy over Bobby Shackles thank you.

My guess is that Manning's going to be year-to-year from here on out. If his neckbolts become a problem again, or the ducks start fluttering too much, or he coughs up another hairball in the playoffs, he'll call it quits. If he get the health ok, keeps getting away with the duck tosses and can win enough in the playoffs to keep him thinking he's got a chance at another SB win, he'll keep playing for as long as the Broncos will pay him silly money.

Incarcerated Robert, erika leigh and NE Insider have zero credibility. Avoid them.

I doubt Manning retires now.

For retirement…
1] Trump Card: Health issue if doctors say 2014 neck prognosis is dire. Unlikely in my opinion.

2] Avoid further worsening "Legacy" with another one & done or more Pick 6s to lose SBs. Manning already owns the SB Pick 6 record. :)
3] May want to retire before the "Peyton Manning Locker Room Bullying" story gets out.

Personally I doubt that trainer at Tennessee was the last locker-room tea-bagging incident in Manning's portfolio.

Incarcerated Robert, erika leigh and NE Insider have zero credibility. Avoid them.

I doubt Manning retires now.

For retirement…
1] Trump Card: Health issue if doctors say 2014 neck prognosis is dire. Unlikely in my opinion.
That's how I feel. I have no doubt Manning wants to keep playing. The only thing that would get him to retire would be if the doctors examined him and said "holy crap you're lucky you're not paralyzed and your neck has gotten much worse and every moment on that gridiron is like playing with fire while holding a stick of dynamite."

It would be a perfect time for PMoney (I knew an Indy fan who called Manning that, and yes, he was serious) to retire.

The Broncos are about to face a schedule that will be 26 games more difficult than last year's. The breakdown is 15 games tougher at home and 11 on the road, which in total is an increase in opponents winning % from .469 to .570. That's a huge difference.
Preseason strength of schedules are beyond worthless. I don't believe for a single second that the upcoming season's strength of schedule is even remotely a factor in Manning's decision.

Jailhouse Bob is emblematic of the problem with the internet: credentials.

You've got this clown, Erica Leigh...and what's this "Fansided" place that dominates the Google links for the Pats? Some over there is writing several articles a day that do no more than take what Reiss says and add in some speculation as if it's fact. Clearly there's no inside knowledge at play - and an understand of little tidbits like the SALARY CAP, to boot.

My guess is that Manning's going to be year-to-year from here on out. If his neckbolts become a problem again, or the ducks start fluttering too much, or he coughs up another hairball in the playoffs, he'll call it quits. If he get the health ok, keeps getting away with the duck tosses and can win enough in the playoffs to keep him thinking he's got a chance at another SB win, he'll keep playing for as long as the Broncos will pay him silly money.

This.

Also, Manning is not giving up atleast one more year of the most overpowered WR/TE group in NFL history.....

Thomas
Thomas
Welker/Edelman
Decker

I think after 2014 when the group breaks up, Manning retires at 39.

I so wish this would happen, can you imagine Denver without Manning, we would be the prohibitive favorite next year in the AFC. Our biggest competition would probably be either the Colts or Chargers.

Jailhouse Bob is emblematic of the problem with the internet: credentials.

You've got this clown, Erica Leigh...and what's this "Fansided" place that dominates the Google links for the Pats? Some over there is writing several articles a day that do no more than take what Reiss says and add in some speculation as if it's fact. Clearly there's no inside knowledge at play - and an understand of little tidbits like the SALARY CAP, to boot.

The only real difference between how it is now and how it's always been is that it's an even worse idea now to assume that something's true just because someone took the time to write it down.

There are good resources and bad resources online, and Incarcerated Bob is a bad one.

Guy on twitter, Incarcerated Bob, reported that Peyton is leaning towards retirement. Not sure how credible it is, but he is also the guy who reported Manning would sign with the Broncos 48 hours before anyone else reported it. He claims the retirement news is coming from the same source who told him Peyton would sign with the broncos.

Incarcerated Bob IBN @incarceratedbob
**BREAKING NFL NEWS**Source: Broncos (QB) Peyton Manning "Leaning" towards calling it a career. Wife & Kids big factor #Retirement #IBN

What are your thoughts?

Would make the path a whole lot easier to the SB next year for the pats!

My thoughts are that it's going to be a longer than normal off season if we look to someone named Incarcerated Bob for information.

But that's just me.

I so wish this would happen, can you imagine Denver without Manning, we would be the prohibitive favorite next year in the AFC. Our biggest competition would probably be either the Colts or Chargers.

True

So with Manning IN the picture, it's incumbent upon B2 to assemble a 2014 talent group that can play with that competitor. If he passes on Talib, say for durability/cost reasons, he needs to replace him with a capable FA CB. And he needs to improve the pass rush pressure. On offense I see shoring up the TE position as adding the most skill value with improving the inside pass protection being the needed core improvement. Without some such improvements, we can look for a repeat of last January and more Pick 6s in the SB.

This.

Also, Manning is not giving up atleast one more year of the most overpowered WR/TE group in NFL history.....

Thomas
Thomas
Welker/Edelman
Decker

I think after 2014 when the group breaks up, Manning retires at 39.

I think they lose both Decker and Moreno this offseason. If that happens, it will be a huge hit to their dynamic offense. Decker has always been a stud, Moreno was great this past season both in pass blocking and a solid checkdown option to pick up first downs, who knows what will happen with Wes at 33 (we all saw what happened with Branch when he hit that age).

Their offense will still be good next season, but I don't see it being anywhere as dynamic as it was this year. Plus could you imagine Manning's pop gun arm trying to throw downfield to a good who is not as good or big as Decker. Not worried. I think the size of Manning's receiving corps along with their obvious talent masked a lot of Manning's deficiencies this year.

True

So with Manning IN the picture, it's incumbent upon B2 to assemble a 2014 talent group that can play with that competitor. If he passes on Talib, say for durability/cost reasons, he needs to replace him with a capable FA CB. And he needs to improve the pass rush pressure. On offense I see shoring up the TE position as adding the most skill value with improving the inside pass protection being the needed core improvement. Without some such improvements, we can look for a repeat of last January and more Pick 6s in the SB.

I agree. So I think the first step is we have to resign Talib. We all saw what happened once he went out of the lineup. I think the next step is we have to improve our pass rush. I don't care where the pressure comes from but if we play against Manning, I think it's better to get it from up the middle ,although Seattle got it from the edges.
Another thing I was surprised at with the game was we could not block them up front, especially in the middle, so we definitely need an upgrade at center/guard. I also think we need Gronk back and another tight end threat and last but certainly not least, is we need a big physical presence at safety to make the Denver receiver's a little nervous when they go over the middle.

I hope not- because then all the other fanbases would say that we only got back to the bowl because Manning retired.

I want his last game against us to be a playoff loss.

I hope not- because then all the other fanbases would say that we only got back to the bowl because Manning retired.

I want his last game against us to be a playoff loss.
I understand what you're saying, but by comparison that would be the mildest thing other fan bases have ever said about us!

Guy on twitter, Incarcerated Bob, reported that Peyton is leaning towards retirement. Not sure how credible it is, but he is also the guy who reported Manning would sign with the Broncos 48 hours before anyone else reported it. He claims the retirement news is coming from the same source who told him Peyton would sign with the broncos.

Incarcerated Bob IBN @incarceratedbob
**BREAKING NFL NEWS**Source: Broncos (QB) Peyton Manning "Leaning" towards calling it a career. Wife & Kids big factor #Retirement #IBN

What are your thoughts?

I think you should get banned for posting info from that twitter account. Just kidding, but seriously, don't post info from that twitter account.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back