PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Mitchell is the best rookie WR since...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mitchell appreciation shows just how desperate PatsFans are for a home grown WR threat.
Averaging just TWO catches per game. Imagine if he averaged four. :)
Truth ....his TWO impact games are due to Gronk's absence. When the Gronk on the field.....not so much.
Amendola should be worried though

He's one more good game from surpassing Thompkins and Dobson to be the best rookie WR since Branch, though that isn't a huge bar to clear since most WRs haven't made much impact before their second year. If he finishes strong, he has a pretty good shot at becoming the best rookie WR of the Belichick era.

He's shown enough that I already consider this year a success and just hope he can get in the second-year leap that Givens and Branch had (and Thompkins and Dobson did not).

Mitchell looks the part. I get very excited when I know ghe ball is going to him.

Unlike some others (Dobson, KT, etc) when you hope their open, make a catch or play.

He offers a lot and is a really nice piece.

Many moons ago now but do you all remember Vincent Brisby? He was really good under Parcells until he had that horrible Hamsting injury that derailed his career.

Vincent Brisby

If you are talking about the latest Patriots receivers -- then it's a tossup between Aaron Dobson (519 4 tds 2013) and Kenbrell Thompkins (466 4tds 2013). He can be better than either of them.

But realistically he only has 235 receiving yards so far with 6 games to go in the season. Obviously if he could continue on and get another 400 yards or so that would be sweet.

One thing to note with Mitchel is he's doing his damage on limited snaps which is a plus. He's definitely ahead of Amendola no disrespect and might be pushing Hogan now. A Three WR set with Mitchell and Hogan on the outsides with Edelman in the Slot with either Gronk or Bennett @ TE with Lewis at RB would be Lethal!:cool:

I hate to say it, but at this point in his rookie season, Aaron Dobson had a better rookie season than Mitchell has. I expect by the end of the year, that will have changed and Mitchell will have a better rookie season.

But Terry Glenn had a better rookie season (90 catches for 1132 yards and 6 TDs).
Dobson dropped a lot of passes as rookie and had a very poor target to catch ratio. Mitchell has zero drops and has a 60% target to catch ratio. In addition, 15 of Mitchell's 16 catches have resulted in a first down or a touchdown.

Dobson dropped a lot of passes as rookie and had a very poor target to catch ratio. Mitchell has zero drops and has a 60% target to catch ratio. In addition, 15 of Mitchell's 16 catches have resulted in a first down or a touchdown.

After his first game, Dobson didn't have a bad drop ratio at all. He dropped something like 4-5 passes in that one game. It skewed his ratio.

Rookie season right up there with Tony Simmons....

I hate to say it, but at this point in his rookie season, Aaron Dobson had a better rookie season than Mitchell has. I expect by the end of the year, that will have changed and Mitchell will have a better rookie season.

But Terry Glenn had a better rookie season (90 catches for 1132 yards and 6 TDs).

Yep, Dobson's numbers were better but Mitchell looks like everything Dobson wasn't. He looks like he is a hard worker who has his head in the playbook and he will go after the ball and fight for it. As much as sending Jones packing sucked no one can complain about the return as both Thuney and Mitchell look like they will be really good players for years to come.

@MikeGiardi
Mal Mitchell focused more on drop than 8 catches (on 10 targets), "You don't make any mistakes, miss any passes. I want to catch them all."

...since Deion Branch. That dude just got it from game 1. :)

The Mitchell appreciation shows just how desperate PatsFans are for a home grown WR threat.
Averaging just TWO catches per game. Imagine if he averaged four. :)
Truth ....his TWO impact games are due to Gronk's absence. When the Gronk on the field.....not so much.
Amendola should be worried though

I look forward to finding out whether you give Little Timmy's father a Christmas goose this year.

Keep us informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft