PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Malcolm Mitchell

Status
Not open for further replies.
No where does it say on there he has 4 dropped passes.

It does.

43% catch rate of 7 passes is 3 caught and 4 not caught. Just divide 3 x 7 = 4.28

There is a disclaimer, dropped passes are not specified in publicly available play-by-play, and unfortunately we cannot yet correct for this.

So Football Outsiders is point blank saying they don't chart dropped passes.

Which is why I wrote "FO claims Mitchell dropped 4 passes" I know all targets to him were not catchable. I wrote in another thread that once Brady is back and up to speed that Mitchell is going to blow up because Brady is so accurate.

But the 43% is his catch rate for the first two games which was 3 of 7.

One site that does however chart dropped passes says Mitchell hasn't dropped any

Dropped Passes: 2016 NFL Season

Which I believe to be true because the only questionable drop he ha wasn't really a drop. It was the ball high over the middle that was just out of his reach
IMO that site is wrong.

I am sure that Mitchell had both his hands on a pass and dropped it. BB says if the receiver can get both hands on the ball that he should catch it. The pass looked catchable by Patriots standards. He will only improve.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
Mitchell's downfield blocking has been outstanding too, which will endear him to BB. He just gives me a good feeling.

Meanwhile, Hogan confuses the heck out of me for some reason.

I've once read a quote from BB "a receivers only job is to get open and Catch the ball"

I can quote the source. I don't believe he cares about WRs abilities to block as much as you believe

Mitchell dropped a 17-yarder from Grop early in the Doofins game. Had he caught it, the ball would've
been placed inside their 20. The Pats had to settle for a long FG instead.
Garappolo's first 3 drives against Miami were TD drives so I don't know what early long FG you're talking about.

Last edited:
i'm not sure what goggles yall are watching games with, but MM has been dropping passes pretty consistently...i will agree they were not right in his bread basket, but they were passes he put two hands on

even in the texans game this happened...i agree with the FO site, 7 targets, 4 drops, thats pretty bad, and if he improves that, which i think he will, everything else i see i like

but don't tell me he hasnt dropped passes, much less ANY, thats dead wrong

I've once read a quote from BB "a receivers only job is to get open and Catch the ball"

I can quote the source. I don't believe he cares about WRs abilities to block as much as you believe

If BB did not care about blocking by WRs, you would not see blocking like you have from Edelman, Mitchell and others. WRs generally don't block with intensity unless it is drilled into them.

Garappolo's first 3 drives against Miami were TD drives so I don't know what early long FG you're talking about.
Sorry, you're right: it wasn't the Miami game, it was the Arizona game, late in the first quarter.

i'm not sure what goggles yall are watching games with, but MM has been dropping passes pretty consistently...i will agree they were not right in his bread basket, but they were passes he put two hands on

even in the texans game this happened...i agree with the FO site, 7 targets, 4 drops, thats pretty bad, and if he improves that, which i think he will, everything else i see i like

but don't tell me he hasnt dropped passes, much less ANY, thats dead wrong

FO DOES NOT TRACK DROPPED PASSES.

5th paragraph at this link FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | WIDE RECEIVERS 2016

DYAR and DVOA include all passes intended for the receiver, both complete and incomplete. Catch Rate represents the percentage of passes to this receiver completed. This is a reference to incomplete passes, not dropped passes: dropped passes are not specified in publicly available play-by-play, and unfortunately we cannot yet correct for this.

So the fact that FO says point blank they say they don't track dropped passes makes you wrong in agreeing with FO. The only track catch rate.

A site that does track dropped passes has Mitchell at 0

Scroll down to 156
9 targets, 4 rec, 0 drops

But ya continue using a site that says they DO NOT TRACK DROPPED PASSES over a site that has tracked dropped passed for the last 7 years

Last edited:
Mitchell's big knock was if he would actually stay healthy. He has shown real NFL talent so far and the potential to hang in our system already, which are fantastic signs.

There are a lot of milestone we use to measure rookies, but I will be most excited if he finishes the year on the active roster and can avoid the IR.

Scroll down to 156
9 targets, 4 rec, 0 drops

But ya continue using a site that says they DO NOT TRACK DROPPED PASSES over a site that has tracked dropped passed for the last 7 years

That site probably only counts easy catches drops then. Mitchell has dropped two catchable balls from what I remember. Nobody can tell if that ball across the middle was catchable because NBC didn't show a replay of it. But I watched it from the endzone(all-22 footage) and it's a drop. Neither of those passes that I consider drops were easy, but they were not impossibly hard. They were of the moderate level which I think any dependable receiver should catch. For the record, I'm in the Mitchell is better than Dobson camp already and I think he will improve in catching the ball.

But people trying to tell @ALP that he didn't drop a pass is just ridiculous. He did drop a pass. It's there to see. That can not be denied!

But people trying to tell @ALP that he didn't drop a pass is just ridiculous. He did drop a pass. It's there to see. That can not be denied!

But he's saying he's dropped 4 passes, which is why he is wrong.

I feel like I just entered the Twighlight Zone. Are we talking about the same guy?

There is no way in hell Mitchell has 4 drops. I don't think he has any. The targets are passes in the vicinity of the receiver.

There is no way in hell Mitchell has 4 drops. I don't think he has any. The targets are passes in the vicinity of the receiver.

I know I saw him drop one... either against Arizona or Miami. But in the scheme of things IMHO, especially compared to Dobson... this is...

1067821-f1112e7cdef6c13928d72bfed423dc71.jpg

I know I saw him drop one... either against Arizona or Miami. But in the scheme of things IMHO, especially compared to Dobson... this is...

1067821-f1112e7cdef6c13928d72bfed423dc71.jpg
I can believe hes had one drop. ...but not 4.

All this fussing about Mitchell's "drops". I missed the one about Cyrus Jones and his PR adventures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back