PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Mitchell is the best rookie WR since...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glenn. Mitchell is not as good as she was.

Price also pointed out that the only WRs with 20+ rec, 200+ yds & 4 TDs over last 4 weeks are Mitchell, Antonio Brown & Jordy Nelson. Good company.
Woa.....

16g- 84 catches/1000k yrds/16TDs...LOL

That adds serious context to how well he is playing

Hes has a 78% catch rate to boot.

I havent fully convinced myself of this but I want Mitchell with more targets than JE11. Lots of pressure on the rookie if that comes to be.

Mitchell developing into a legit #2 receiver at the least would be a treat. Of course, anything beyond that would be even better.

With Edelman being 31 next season, Amendola going on 32, and lack of depth as a whole, I'd hope there is another addition in the mix for next season who is a regular contributor...but who?

Mitchell developing into a legit #2 receiver at the least would be a treat. Of course, anything beyond that would be even better.

With Edelman being 31 next season, Amendola going on 32, and lack of depth as a whole, I'd hope there is another addition in the mix for next season who is a regular contributor...but who?

Ive been thinking about this as well.

I think MM is a 80/1000 guy. They found their next WR1/2 thank god.

Hogan is WR2. Love the guy.

I think JE11 has one more 90/900 season in him but with Hogan and MM being more dynamic play making targets w/ higher catch %, not sure if the workload makes sense anymore for him. He is also going to cost $5.25m next year. This might get touchy.

So in theory that makes JE11 the WR3 in 2017. It happened to Troy here as well. Not a bad thing.

I think DA has one more year here. Just has too much value.

With that said a FA WR and drafting another is highly suggested as strange things happen to WRs in their 30s.

Well, BB has an opinion on MM and a fairly lofty comparison.

Belichick compared his football intelligence to Deion Branch.

“He’s just worked hard at it,” Belichick said. “He’s had a couple of points in the season where he’s missed a little bit of time, so maybe that helps sustain it a little bit, I’m not sure. Malcolm works hard. He’s a smart kid. He works hard. He has a good level of football intelligence — kind of reminds me from that standpoint of Deion [Branch].

“Deion was probably one of the smartest receivers we’ve had in here, especially as a rookie. He picked up a lot of things and Malcolm has some of the same qualities. I don’t know if it’s quite at the Deion level or not, but somewhere in there. As you get into this point of the year when you start doing things that are a little bit different, you start making adjustments, or they start doing things defensively that cause you to make adjustments, players that have that kind of instinctiveness or ability to handle those adjustments, that plays in their favor.”

Bill Belichick on D&H compares WR Malcolm Mitchell to Deion Branch

Ive been thinking about this as well.

I think MM is a 80/1000 guy. They found their next WR1/2 thank god.

Hogan is WR2. Love the guy.

I think JE11 has one more 90/900 season in him but with Hogan and MM being more dynamic play making targets w/ higher catch %, not sure if the workload makes sense anymore for him. He is also going to cost $5.25m next year. This might get touchy.

So in theory that makes JE11 the WR3 in 2017. It happened to Troy here as well. Not a bad thing.

I think DA has one more year here. Just has too much value.

With that said a FA WR and drafting another is highly suggested as strange things happen to WRs in their 30s.
I can't be the only one who reads your posts at times through the voice of The Dude :D Great movie by the way, and especially loved John Goodman's work.

Back to the topic though, agree on all counts. Isn't Amendola's cap hit up to around 7.9 mil next year after they restructed it before the season? I'd love to have him on for another year with what he brings on offense and in the return game, but I wonder how that'll play out. Between a supposed increase in cap space for 2017/the amount the Pats have to play with, hopefully it'll workout.

Assuming more pressing needs are addressed and they have some flexibility, I'd like to see them draft a mid-round slot guy that could hopefully show some promise in year 1 and take a bigger leap into year 2. Easier said than done though of course. Also a free agent "do a little bit of everything" type of guy might be a nice depth piece. Not counting Slater, I'd like to carry 6 wide receivers if possible.

Last edited:
I like how Mitchell plays, reminds me of Randy Moss a bit, may not have the size like Randy but definitely has the speed and hands.

We will see how better he will be next year.

I like how Mitchell plays, reminds me of Randy Moss a bit, may not have the size like Randy but definitely has the speed and hands.

We will see how better he will be next year.

I keep seeing fmr MIA WR Chris Chambers. It drives me nuts how alike they are. Body type, everything.

Yep, definitely not the physical freak that Randy was, but he gives that same impression that he's just casually loping down the field as he runs a fast and precise route. In before the first complaint that Mitchell's dogging it. ;)

I can't be the only one who reads your posts at times through the voice of The Dude :D Great movie by the way, and especially loved John Goodman's work.

Love The Dude. My favorite movie character. Funny thing is I'm nothing like him. I don't even like White Russians.

The Coen Bros. wrote the Walter Sobchak part specifically for John Goodman. No one else auditioned for the role.

Back to the topic though, agree on all counts. Isn't Amendola's cap hit up to around 7.9 mil next year after they restructed it before the season? I'd love to have him on for another year with what he brings on offense and in the return game, but I wonder how that'll play out. Between a supposed increase in cap space for 2017/the amount the Pats have to play with, hopefully it'll workout.

Unless the team decides to move because they landed a promising FA or draft pick on or lowballs him, DA and the team will figure something out. Hes at the tail-end of his career and I can't imagine he'd leave over a few bucks. Solid vet that has value in many areas.

Assuming more pressing needs are addressed and they have some flexibility, I'd like to see them draft a mid-round slot guy that could hopefully show some promise in year 1 and take a bigger leap into year 2. Easier said than done though of course. Also a free agent "do a little bit of everything" type of guy might be a nice depth piece. Not counting Slater, I'd like to carry 6 wide receivers if possible.

Yep Because of DA and JE11's age, I would expect they would draft/sign a player that they can groom for the slot role.

Markus Wheaton in FA 2017 would be a nice addition in the Slot. The Steelers have groomed and produced some very good WR's.

Evan Engram is one of fav prospects in this years draft. Big upgrade from Dola. Hands, hips and hops. Not twitchy guy but can line up in the slot, one the best blockers in the draft and a good kid. Whole body works like a machine. Definitely a Patriot-type player.

One thing no one talks about is how Mitchell is a great athlete. The kid is in the right spot to flourish.

"Malcolm Mitchell was Rivals No. 1 CB recruit his senior season, ranked ahead of Marcus Peters, Trae Wayne's and Justin Coleman".

^Mark Daniels

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore