PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCourty was a 2nd team all pro in 2013.

He also ended up with a pretty big contract. It would have been even bigger if he were a cornerback. I think Butler is going to ask for and ultimately receive $10M/year despite being less good for less time compared to McCourty. And I don't think I'd mind that.

He also ended up with a pretty big contract. It would have been even bigger if he were a cornerback. I think Butler is going to ask for and ultimately receive $10M/year despite being less good for less time compared to McCourty. And I don't think I'd mind that.

I believe we have Butler, also Ryan, through 2016. It's a ridiculously low amount of cap space for 2016's starting CB duo./
If Butler is commanding better than 10m a year? My hunch is we likely lose him after 2016. Unless BB and staff feel very comfortable that Butler is going to be a very dominant CB for the next several years, it is hard to imagine they'll devote that kind of $$$.
I guess that leads to: will the Patriots attempt to re-sign him this offseason (if they can) and will Butler be interested in an early discountded deal that isn't as good as a UFA deal he would likely get in 2016.

I believe we have Butler, also Ryan, through 2016. It's a ridiculously low amount of cap space for 2016's starting CB duo./
If Butler is commanding better than 10m a year? My hunch is we likely lose him after 2016. Unless BB and staff feel very comfortable that Butler is going to be a very dominant CB for the next several years, it is hard to imagine they'll devote that kind of $$$.
I guess that leads to: will the Patriots attempt to re-sign him this offseason (if they can) and will Butler be interested in an early discountded deal that isn't as good as a UFA deal he would likely get in 2016.

Butler is a RFA in 2017 so if we want (which I'm sure we do) we can retain him with a 1st or 2nd round tender offer.

"5/19/2014: Signed a three-year, $1.53 million contract. 2015: $510,000, 2016: $600,000, 2017: Restricted Free Agent"

New England Patriots - NFL Team Contracts - Rotoworld.com

Miguel has been through this. Butler can be signed to the various free agent tenders for 3 years /$21M (approximately) . So that's the ceiling of what he'd cost as going year to year wouldn't be injury protected. A 3 year deal this off-season for somewhat less than $21M but more than the first year amount guaranteed is probably what we're looking at.

By the time McCourty re-signed, he had been neither a cornerback nor a Pro Bowler for years. I was pretty confident we could lock Butler up for something like 4 years/$25M but now that he made the Pro Bowl in his first season as a starter, all bets are off.

My point is that McCourty's play dropped off the season after his Pro Bowl year, lowering his earning power.

Miguel has been through this. Butler can be signed to the various free agent tenders for 3 years /$21M (approximately) . So that's the ceiling of what he'd cost as going year to year wouldn't be injury protected. A 3 year deal this off-season for somewhat less than $21M but more than the first year amount guaranteed is probably what we're looking at.
Thats awesome. It would be really cool if they gave him 30 mill for 4 years, with about 10-12 guaranteed. With the Cap rising about 8-10 mill a year, that would be a steel in the long run.

I think Butler is going to ask for and ultimately receive $10M/year despite being less good for less time compared to McCourty. And I don't think I'd mind that.
I had this same argument about Revis leaving: in my opinion, there is virtually no measurable benefit to a player from making say $10M rather than say $6M. If there is a benefit at all, that benefit is overwhelmingly outweighed by the hassle and inconvenience of leaving a place that one likes being and that likes you, not to mention the risk of hurting the team overall by reducing salary cap flexibility. Surely it's not as fun to play for some losing team, is it? Or in a city where you're not an icon?

But when I brought up this argument around the Revis negotiation time (where the numbers were much more preposterous), people chimed in with arguments about "respect", the expense of supporting entourages, and some sort of argument I never quite followed about how hard it is to live on a seven figure salary (eight figures in Revis' case).

How did these memes start? A player must support an entourage? Why? Salary is a sign of "respect"? How?

It seems to me that being the #1 cornerback in a town where you're the hero playing for a strong team and brilliant coaches is the respect you're after. Why would they make you #1 corner if they didn't respect you? And I think supporting an entourage would generally be unpleasant, making it difficult to have normal friends.

Last edited:
I had this same argument about Revis leaving: in my opinion, there is virtually no measurable benefit to a player from making say $10M rather than say $6M. If there is a benefit at all, that benefit is overwhelmingly outweighed by the hassle and inconvenience of leaving a place that one likes being and that likes you, not to mention the risk of hurting the team overall by reducing salary cap flexibility. Surely it's not as fun to play for some losing team, is it? Or in a city where you're not an icon?

But when I brought up this argument around the Revis negotiation time (where the numbers were much more preposterous), people chimed in with arguments about "respect", the expense of supporting entourages, and some sort of argument I never quite followed about how hard it is to live on a seven figure salary (eight figures in Revis' case).

How did these memes start? A player must support an entourage? Why? Salary is a sign of "respect"? How?

It seems to me that being the #1 cornerback in a town where you're the hero playing for a strong team and brilliant coaches is the respect you're after. Why would they make you #1 corner if they didn't respect you? And I think supporting an entourage would generally be unpleasant, making it difficult to have normal friends.

Everyone can have their own point of view, however I'm pretty sure a large percentage on NFL players don't share the same opinion as you.

Yesterday Darrelle Revis got lit up by Sammy Watkins to the tune of 11 receptions for 136 yards. The last time Butler played Buffalo, Watkins was held to 3 catches for 39 yards.

Butler right now is probably just as good a corner as Revis is, which is amazing to say. And he's making a tiny fraction of the salary.

Yesterday Darrelle Revis got lit up by Sammy Watkins to the tune of 11 receptions for 136 yards. The last time Butler played Buffalo, Watkins was held to 3 catches for 39 yards.

Butler right now is probably just as good a corner as Revis is, which is amazing to say. And he's making a tiny fraction of the salary.

And in the Playoffs I might add Ouch! Mevi$.

there is virtually no measurable benefit to a player from making say $10M rather than say $6M.

There's a very measurable benefit, that's a lot more money. Keep in mind that these guys have a very narrow window of opportunity to make money that ideally will last they and their kids a lifetime. For all but the highest tier of players, these incremental differences in salary can have dramatic lifestyle implications down the line, and that's without touching on irresponsible money management that leaves so many players broke before they're 40.

Some players value the security or situation that they're in more than money, others don't. Some people are in fairly unique situations that by leaving some money on the table now they enhance their profile and make more in the long run. Most aren't. Bottom line: everyone's priorities are different. Brady, Bruschi, Edelman and Harrison were willing to leave significant money on the table to be here. Seymour, Wilfork, and Welker were not. Both groups were instrumental to this team's success. Different strokes, etc.

Revis seems pretty at peace with his priorities, and that's totally his right. His top priority is and always will be to make as much money as possible, so clearly to him there's enough benefit in that to make it worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back