PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCourty may not have been back if we kept Revis.

In my hypothetical situation McCourty, Revis and Butler are all on the team. You're welcome to posit your own hypothetical situation where Revis stayed and McCourty left. Sounds kinda boring though.

Butler and Ryan can be as good as Asante and Hobbs, and I don't remember too much panic over those guys manning the corners back in 06-07. A little help from the front 7 goes a long way in pass defense.
Where does everyone stand on this comparison now that it's Pro-Bowler Malcolm Butler and Ryan has been real good? I think this duo is on par with those guys, and therefore would have to be considered one of the best CB duos of the Belichick era, certainly behind 2003 Law-Poole. Big change from March-August when we thought we were pinning our hopes on Bradley Fletcher and Robert McClain.

Butler is a more complete CB than Asante but Asante was an incredible ball hawk which sometimes hurt him. Ryan is better than Hobbs in just about every way. Hobbs was too short, didn't have that great of technique and was terrible at timing his jumps (important when you're 5'9"). I hated those games against the Chargers when we had to send out Hobbs against 6'5" VJax and Floyd.

Butler is a more complete CB than Asante but Asante was an incredible ball hawk which sometimes hurt him. Ryan is better than Hobbs in just about every way. Hobbs was too short, didn't have that great of technique and was terrible at timing his jumps (important when you're 5'9"). I hated those games against the Chargers when we had to send out Hobbs against 6'5" VJax and Floyd.
Those guys also had to play during the early years of the Great Safety Drought (2005-2012). Ryan is getting a lot of help from a very good FS. I like these guys a little better than Samuel/Hobbs though. They're equal in coverage and FAR more physical IMO.

Where does everyone stand on this comparison now that it's Pro-Bowler Malcolm Butler and Ryan has been real good? I think this duo is on par with those guys, and therefore would have to be considered one of the best CB duos of the Belichick era, certainly behind 2003 Law-Poole. Big change from March-August when we thought we were pinning our hopes on Bradley Fletcher and Robert McClain.

Yup. So weird to think that the same exact players look infinitely more appealing now.

Oh boy...I'll take a swag.

2003- Ty boys
2001- Ty/O-T-I-S
2014- Revis/Browner
2006- Asante/Hobbs- I thought Hobbs was decent. I think Ryan is playing better this year than Hobbs ever did so he gets the nod. Asante had 10 INTs this year and 24 PDs. he was thrown at a lot but made teams pay.
2015- Malcolm/Ryan

Oh boy...I'll take a swag.

2003- Ty boys
2001- Ty/O-T-I-S
2014- Revis/Browner
2006- Asante/Hobbs- I thought Hobbs was decent. I think Ryan is playing better this year than Hobbs ever did so he gets the nod. Asante had 10 INTs this year and 24 PDs. he was thrown at a lot but made teams pay.
2015- Malcolm/Ryan
Good list, good list. I didn't think too highly of 2001 Otis or Browner so I downgraded those two duos based on their weaker link. The position has changed so much in the last 10-15 years that it's hard to even compare over that span. Law was very handsy with receivers, not sure if he'd get a lot of flags nowadays or if the refs would let him get away with it like they do with Revis.

Never even entertained the idea when I started this thread after the first game that Butler would be in the pro-bowl.

But after seeing the body of work over 14 games I think it is well deserved!

Good list, good list. I didn't think too highly of 2001 Otis or Browner so I downgraded those two duos based on their weaker link. The position has changed so much in the last 10-15 years that it's hard to even compare over that span. Law was very handsy with receivers, not sure if he'd get a lot of flags nowadays or if the refs would let him get away with it like they do with Revis.

Well, for Otis in 2001 he had 2 INTs, 2 sacks, 55 tackles , 2 TDs and 19 PDs. He was a very physical CB. He was All-Pro caliber that year. I just remember him making play after play after play. Thats why I ranked him/combo so highly. He performed very well for the era in which he played in.

I agree on Browner. He was good in 2014 - but not great.

Last edited:
Never even entertained the idea when I started this thread after the first game that Butler would be in the pro-bowl.

But after seeing the body of work over 14 games I think it is well deserved!
Pretty amazing. All the post-Super Bowl and pre-season discussion of Butler's possible ceiling and expectations for this season I don't think any one of us envisioned him as a Pro Bowl CB. I know I was one of his biggest fans and I sure didn't. What a ride! And even more impressive that it was his peers in the NFL and not fan popularity that put him in the Pro Bowl. Unbelievable that he found an encore worthy of his Super Bowl performance.

How can someone logically come to that conclusion?

Logic doesn't factor in to a lot of Bedard's conclusions.

Reactions: glm
I get excited when I think of the potential of next years DB roster.

Malcolm Butler.
Logan Ryan.
Leonard Johnson.
Tarell Brown.
And the development of Darryl Roberts & Justin Colman.

Man, that looks to be a stacked and deep CB roster.

Not to mention, what were going to be able to do in the draft. Safety and DB are not a need, curious to see where we go.

Malcolm Butler.
Logan Ryan.
Leonard Johnson.
Tarell Brown.

Not to mention, what were going to be able to do in the draft. Safety and DB are not a need, curious to see where we go.

We have to actually re-sign Johnson and Brown, though. Doubt they'll bring Brown back because of his age but I'd be happy if they did.

Malcolm Butler.
Logan Ryan.
Leonard Johnson.
Tarell Brown.

I don't like Johnson or Brown all that much I would prefer to add early round CB in the draft. Those 2 guys are JAGs at this point, Brown used to be more than that but not anymore and Johnson hasn't been more than a JAG throughout his career.

Butler is the Tom Brady of CBs, he got his opportunity in the SB, and he has road that momentum to the top tier at his position.

I don't like Johnson or Brown all that much I would prefer to add early round CB in the draft. Those 2 guys are JAGs at this point, Brown used to be more than that but not anymore and Johnson hasn't been more than a JAG throughout his career.

I think Johnson is doing more then anyone could ask for after 2 weeks. Considering we got him off the WW. Right now with his performance id be more then happy to bring him back for the 90 man.
Brown looked good before he got hurt. We won't need him as a starter, and if healthy, he's the perfect player for a depth stand point. Having veterans is always a plus, from both a leader stand point, and the fact that if something happens to your starters mid-late season, its always better to throw someone with experience in then a rookie, or young inexperienced player.

You know who was considered JAG less then 4 months ago, both Ryan and Butler. Hopefully Bill moves forward to lock both Butler & ryan up for a few years at a decent cost. If thats the case, we won't need a high pick CB.

Im never one who believes in drafting WR's high, but it might be a luxury we can afford this season considering this draft is looking to be deep in the WR department. Either that or an OT. Thing is, its usually hard to find an elite type of talent for an OT in the late 2nd, which makes that doubtful.

We have to actually re-sign Johnson and Brown, though. Doubt they'll bring Brown back because of his age but I'd be happy if they did.

I don't think they will either, partly due to age and partly because of recurring foot injuries. For a guy his age to have two seasons end on foot injuries isn't a good sign. I think it's the same foot, but not 100% sure.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
I don't think they will either, partly due to age and partly because of recurring foot injuries. For a guy his age to have two seasons end on foot injuries isn't a good sign. I think it's the same foot, but not 100% sure.

Good thing Brown was the least important of these players on that list. Veteran depth can be found almost every off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back