PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butler is a Stud and he is only going to get better, damn if he was just 2 inches taller....

How tall is he really? I seen him next to edelman and he's taller then edelman.

Too bad it looks like Sanders will have a second string QB throwing to him. Or a badly wounded noodle armed starting QB. Either way will detract from the matchup, but I don't care.

Sanders' s great but beckham's more explosive then he is. That was a heck of a job by butler after that long td catch by beckham.

Butler is a Stud and he is only going to get better, damn if he was just 2 inches taller....
If he were two inches taller he might not be as quick. Physics has laws about things other than gas pressure, and they include angular momentum and length and such. Those all make it harder for a bigger taller player to have the same acceleration as a smaller more compact body. Makes quick tall players harder to find.

The truly scary thing about Beckham is that he and Cruz haven't been on the field together much. If Cruz comes back healthy, and the Giants make the playoffs, teams are going to be facing a WR trio of:

Beckham
Cruz
Randle

with Vereen coming out of the backfield and Donnell as the receiving TE.
We won't be seeing it after all. Cruz is to have season ending surgery, as reported on 98.5.

By my count Butler had six passes defended. There was one of them that I couldn't say for sure that he tipped the ball but he had perfect position and the ball went through Beckham's hands after it looked like Butler might've touched it so I'll give him credit for it. Pretty good day either way, and his tackles after the catch held Beckham to no gain a couple of times. Too bad McCourty screwed up his help on the first catch of the day for Beckham, even including that play Butler had a great day. Good to see the kid continuing to grow.

The thing about Butler that can easily be overlooked because it doesn't show up on a stat sheet is the fact that Butler makes big plays in key moments. Knocking the ball out of OBJ's hands yesterday is one of the plays of the game! The moment is never too big for the kid . . . he played at West Alabama and was an UDFA. Think about that. Think about how many D1 kids can't make it at this level, much less make one of the biggest plays in SB history, be catapulted into the #1 role and continue to make game-saving plays in the biggest of situations. Yeah, he's that type of good.

The thing about Butler that can easily be overlooked because it doesn't show up on a stat sheet is the fact that Butler makes big plays in key moments. Knocking the ball out of OBJ's hands yesterday is one of the plays of the game! The moment is never too big for the kid . . . he played at West Alabama and was an UDFA. Think about that. Think about how many D1 kids can't make it at this level, much less make one of the biggest plays in SB history, be catapulted into the #1 role and continue to make game-saving plays in the biggest of situations. Yeah, he's that type of good.
He also made a number of key third down stops on ODB. Most were pass break ups but one that really stood out in my mind was the crossing route by ODB. Butler was so quick...got to Beckham like a heat seeking missile and threw him backwards for the stop. Love the swagger too!

Best part of it is that he did not let the Super Bowl heroics go to his head. He has stayed focused and dedicated to improving. Great role model, for younger teammates and for kids watching at home. Showing his teammates how to handle success, showing kids at home that you can come from humble roots and screw up so badly you end up frying chicken instead of playing football and still become a star.

I see him as part of Revis's legacy with the Pats. Butler's measurables all compare very closely to Revis, they seem to be very similar athletes. Butler got the chance to see how Revis works at his craft, and model himself after one of the very best CBs in the NFL. Hearing Butler talk about spending hours studying film on Beckham to prepare for this game is great, shows he learned how to do things the right way.

Best part of this is, he has two UDFA teammmates at CB to follow him as role model. Coleman and Melvin can both see that being a UDFA rookie does not make stardom impossible in New England. If they turn out to be even half as successful as Butler they'll be serviceable DBs. Let's hope they do even better than that!

@jeffphowe: Butler held Beckham to 2 catches for 5 yards on 9 targets (3 PBU) after the 87-yard TD. OBJ also had a 12-yard catch vs. a zone.

Last three weeks:

-Follows Landry around all game to help us destroy the Dolphins. He did nothing besides against a softer prevent defense before the end of the first half.
- Holds Desean to 3 rec 15 yards
- A poorly thrown ball by Eli/awful play by McCourty away from the CB performance of the year

Butler has everything (attitude, technique, athleticism) besides height to be the best CB in the league. Really want to see how he fares vs. Hopkins.

'Problem' solved.

imagesCA5WFJ35.jpg

;)

He also made a number of key third down stops on ODB. Most were pass break ups but one that really stood out in my mind was the crossing route by ODB. Butler was so quick...got to Beckham like a heat seeking missile and threw him backwards for the stop. Love the swagger too!
His tackling after the catch was SUPERB. There was no YAC on him, other than the one play of course.

His tackling after the catch was SUPERB. There was no YAC on him, other than the one play of course.

And the YAC on that play were all on McCourty, frankly.

Last edited:
9/10 for 142 yards and a touchdown in week 1 vs. Brown
59 yard catch by Hurns that Harmon took a poor angle on leading to a TD
87 yard catch by ODB that McCourty whiffed on

Remove week 1 and the 2 long TDs that the safeties misplayed and Butler stats against are really impressive – 23/54 = 42.79% completions, 287 yards, 5.31 yards per, 3 touchdowns, 1 interception, 70.5 QB rating against.

59 yard catch by Hurns that Harmon took a poor angle on leading to a TD
87 yard catch by ODB that McCourty whiffed on

Remove week 1 and the 2 long TDs that the safeties misplayed and Butler stats against are really impressive – 23/54 = 42.79% completions, 287 yards, 5.31 yards per, 3 touchdowns, 1 interception, 70.5 QB rating against.
He and Ryan have played better than anybody would have thought. Coleman for that matter too, I just wish they had some depth so Ryan and butler didn't have to play every snap

Butler let Beckham get a 38 yard pass on him and McCourty let it turn into a TD for about 50 more. That is the safety's job.

I have no complaints about Butler's play this game. Playing a WR this good and getting beat really only once is great. It should not have been 7.

He and Ryan have played better than anybody would have thought. Coleman for that matter too, I just wish they had some depth so Ryan and butler didn't have to play every snap
Why do you not want Butler playing every snap?

Do you not think he is a starter?

Why do you not want Butler playing every snap?

Do you not think he is a starter?
Oh yes that's exactly what I think. No it would just be nice to take him out in a few of these blowouts

Brown was 9/11 for 133 for the game. 7 of 9 for 109 up until the last drive. 70 of those yards came on 2 catches. One on a double move and the other where he had just got a step on Butler and roethlishburger dropped it in where Brown could get it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back