PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Making the case for Osi Umenyiora

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 SB participant
2008 Brady lost for season
2009 Welker lost for the playoffs, Brady still recovering from Knee surgery, lousy defense
2010 Brady tosses stupid pass, Crumpler drops easy TD

There's only one season there with a real issue there, and I don't think Brady will be stupid enough to toss another screen pass pick this year.

2010 all valid, but it was a team loss all around. The defense didn't touch Sanchez. I'm not even sure if there was a hurry.

But your right, the value of dicatating the flow of the game was lost when we should of been up 14-3. It changes how the defense reacts to you, how they run their offense. Soon as they capitalized on our mistakes they let the dogs loose and the momentum was shifted.

Falcons have showed interest in Osi as well.I think they rather send him to the AFC though.

Falcons have showed interest in Osi as well.I think they rather send him to the AFC though.
If the Falcons get Umenyiora I know which defense I'm drafting in my Fantasy leagues. They're being quietly overlooked in favor of the Eagles flashy acquisitions. Mike Smith and Dimitroff have had a damn good FA thus far.

Last edited:

pretty sure they have no first next year and Id be surprised if they gave up their second as well.

the Giants want a first round pick and Osi Umenyiora wants 10+ million a year that combo does not sound like a patriot to me

Well, if the Falcons get him, John Abraham may get cut or traded. They can't have Umenyiora, Abraham, and Ray Edwards on the field the same time. I would assume Abraham would be the odd man out in that scenario since he is 33.

I wouldn't mind if the Pats ended up trading for Abraham who had 13 sacks last year and double digit sacks three of the last four years.

After signing Edwards to a 5 year, $30 million contract and trading for Umenyiora (and giving up a high pick and paying him a top salary), the Falcons will be likely looking for some value for Abraham. Granted Abraham might be part of a trade with the Giants for Umenyiora.

the Giants want a first round pick and Osi Umenyiora wants 10+ million a year that combo does not sound like a patriot to me

Well, the thing is the money may not be a big deal if the Pats backload a lot of the money into the 2014 season. It is a gamble, but the cap is supposed to increase 50-70% that year. The Jets did it with Santonio Holmes and were going to do it with Asomugha (at least that was rumored how they are/were going to both their contracts). Maybe the Pats would do it with Umenyiora if they went that direction,

Well, the thing is the money may not be a big deal if the Pats backload a lot of the money into the 2014 season. It is a gamble, but the cap is supposed to increase 50-70% that year. The Jets did it with Santonio Holmes and were going to do it with Asomugha (at least that was rumored how they are/were going to both their contracts). Maybe the Pats would do it with Umenyiora if they went that direction,

So, for arguments sake, let's assume the following:

2011 cap--120 million

2012 cap--127 million

2013 cap--135 million

2014 cap--200+ million??? You are saying that it's going to go up "50 to 70 percent in this year?"

I thought it was rumored to be about 160 million, which is still quite a significant increase, but "50% to 70%???"

Are you being serious??

The NYG will likely lessen their demands, as they will never get a 1st rd pick for Osi Umenyiora. He is coming off a significant injury/surgery, and has been out for the majority of the season in 2 of the last 3 years with terribly significant season ending injuries.

These are also the exact same reasons why he'll never get 10 million+ a year.

Now if the NYG want a 2nd and a 4th or something to that effect, and Osi takes about 7-8 million a yr, then they may reach a trade agreement--although I still seriously doubt it would be with the NEP.

Last edited:
i would give a first for him, since it will be 32nd... give up a number 1 for a pass rusher...

I can't imagine anyone in the league giving up a #1 for him. It's easy to just throw away draft picks for instant gratification. It's worked extremely well for the Redskins. But this isn't about BB being conservative. If no one in the league is willing to do it, why are so many posters eager to?

Last edited:
i would give a first for him, since it will be 32nd... give up a number 1 for a pass rusher...

Pass rushers likely him rarely become available....and the giants are a rarity with lots of DE talent.

I will be pretty pissed if we don't make an honest run at him, and no one will be able to convince me otherwise, unless his salary demands are totally ridiculous. We spent tons of dough on A. Thomas whose body of work is much less impressive than OU's.

The thought of AH, VW, OA and Cunningham beating the crap out of Sanchez play after play is nocturnal emission territory.

I can't imagine anyone in the league giving up a #1 for him. It's easy to just throw away draft picks for instant gratification. It's worked extremely well for the Redskins. But this isn't about BB being conservative. If no one in the league is willing to do it, why are so many posters eager to?

Brady is old.

Oakland's 2nd might do the trick. They're not going to make the playoffs. Lost a couple of key players in Nnamdi and Gallery. Haven't signed Zach Miller yet. May fall back to 5-6 wins so that would be a pretty high 2nd.

We went after Colvin and Thomas as pass rushers. They were either average or very mediocre in that department respectively. I understand they were FA's, but isn't a small part of stacking draft picks to address potential situations such as this.

Guys like Brady don't come around too often, and I feel we should maximize our opportunities while he's still one of the best in the game.

This whole thing sucks because the man would be an awesome fit here, especially with the Pats potentially going to more of a hybrid-style defense. However, I tend to agree with those saying that the man just won't get paid what he wants here even if the Giants lower their asking price.

Still, I have to trust Bill and the FO. I watch teams like Dallas and others who are struggling right now just to get below the cap. They can't sign anyone because they overspent in the past with minimal results. It makes me happy to have a fiscally responsible coach and FO that will allow us to be competitive every year because they don't overpay anyone. Some might argue that that's the reason the Pats haven't won in the playoffs (as I've seen in many posts), but that's a stretch. Big-name players don't automatically translate into SB wins. The Redskins had all the big-name FA's at one point, and they didn't even make the playoffs.

So as much as I think we all agree that Umenyiora would be perfect here and we're all salivating at the mere mention that it's a possibility, albeit a long shot possibility, I say BB should pass if the asking price of both he and the Giants is too high.

This guy would be amazing for us. With Vince and Albert clogging the lines up, this guy would get 20 sacks easy! You think Sexy Rexy is nervous now, imagine if we got this guy?

Please BB! The window for a real superbowl run rest on TB's time here... the time is now

Be it Osi Umenyiora or not the Patriots still need another body to get at the qb. Without question I would offer a #2 pick and I would be tempted to give one of our #1 picks. Keep this in mind, Tom Brady isn't getting any younger. The future is NOW!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back