PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Making the case for Osi Umenyiora

Status
Not open for further replies.
The jets board would go nuts if we maded a deal for Osi.Make it happen!!!:p

I really don't see why the patriots wouldn't go after him. He's 29, arguably in his prime (age wise) and would fit in perfectly here. Wright, Osi, haynes, wilfork. Yes please. Get it done BB. I'm thinking early tomorrow morning we here he's traded here for a 4th next year!

A lot of these debates about improving the defense devolve into the powerful argument:
What, you weren't satisfied with a 14-2 team?

That's easy to answer for me.
No.
That 14-2 team once again couldn't win in the post-season.

It's just not fair to measure a team on one game. But that's how the NFL playoffs are designed. So I guess that's the metric I will adopt as well.

I don't see a lot of improvement opportunity from the offense, going from #1 in the league to something better. I see a lot of improvement opportunity on the defensive side of the ball, especially in their ability to generate an effective pass rush and third down defense. If their third down defense last year had been mediocre, that would have been a much better team with better chances in the post-season.

Umenyiora represents one player that would improve the pass rush.

Manny Lawson and Matt Roth represent the available free agents who could do the same. Both are experienced 3-4 players who, I feel comfortable saying, would perform better than Markell Carter in 2011. Both have the benefit of not costing draft picks.

A lot of these debates about improving the defense devolve into the powerful argument:
What, you weren't satisfied with a 14-2 team?

That's easy to answer for me.
No.
That 14-2 team once again couldn't win in the post-season.

It's just not fair to measure a team on one game. But that's how the NFL playoffs are designed. So I guess that's the metric I will adopt as well.

I don't see a lot of improvement opportunity from the offense, going from #1 in the league to something better. I see a lot of improvement opportunity on the defensive side of the ball, especially in their ability to generate an effective pass rush and third down defense. If their third down defense last year had
been mediocre, that would have been a much better team with better chances in the post-season.

Umenyiora represents one player that would improve the pass rush.

Manny Lawson and Matt Roth represent the available free agents who could do the same. Both are experienced 3-4 players who, I feel comfortable saying, would perform better than Markell Carter in 2011. Both have the benefit of not costing draft picks.

I don't disagree that Roth or Lawson will "improve" the pass rush. They will replace whatever you may have lost in TBC. But these are not game changers. I think if you have then chance to get a guy like OU at reasonable cost...you do it.

With Umenyiora, you have the chance to now create a stifling pass rush. You create even bigger matchup problems on the line with folks also having to contend with VW and AH.

Per NFL Network's Jason La Canfora, there is "ample potential" for an Osi Umenyiora trade if the Giants lower their asking price to a second-day pick.
Permitted to seek a trade, Umenyiora's agent made calls around the league Monday but found no takers at the first-round asking price. La Canfora does call a second- or third-round pick "feasible," but it's unclear if New York will budge. La Canfora confirms that the Browns are "keeping watch" on pass rushers, and names the Seahawks, Ravens, and Patriots as possible suitors for Umenyiora. ESPN's John Clayton has reported that Umenyiora wants to go to Seattle.

-Rotoworld.com

Yeah pats won't get him..too much

That seattle crap is garbage.Thats a ghost-town.I think the pats and ravens will be his suitors if they lower their demands.

I'd offer the Giants a 2012 2nd round pick and a 2013 CONDITIONAL pick which could be as high as a 2nd rounder depending on whatever factors would lead to that.

I'd offer the Giants a 2012 2nd round pick and a 2013 CONDITIONAL pick which could be as high as a 2nd rounder depending on whatever factors would lead to that.

This is probably the most I could imagine the Pats offering.

I think you stockpile these draft picks for instances like this. I'd actually do it for a first, having a couple of second rounders next year should lessen the blow of losing that first pick. Tom Brady isn't going to play forever and the longer they keep kicking the can down the road the more they miss out on.

I think you stockpile these draft picks for instances like this. I'd actually do it for a first, having a couple of second rounders next year should lessen the blow of losing that first pick. Tom Brady isn't going to play forever and the longer they keep kicking the can down the road the more they miss out on.

strong negotiator you are.

I'm alway saying this kind of stuff could happen..but this one isnt going to happen.

His name sounds too close to "human urine" for comfort. I say we pass.

LOL.Why u think that sivy?I can see them lowering the demands.He could be a problem for the giants in the locker room.

LOL.Why u think that sivy?I can see them lowering the demands.He could be a problem for the giants in the locker room.

Well, I'm sit at home all the time online and watching sports shows on TV while working on the business (have to do many things at once to concentrate, its weird) and I've heard no real claims of this happening or even talks of this happening. Usually something is floating around right before it happens, but this nothing besides what people think or want to happen..plus, if they get Unemyiora along with all the rest of the pick ups...they would have the problem of no nfl seaon in 2011 again as they would just cancel it and give the trophy to the patriots now.

Well, I'm sit at home all the time online and watching sports shows on TV while working on the business (have to do many things at once to concentrate, its weird) and I've heard no real claims of this happening or even talks of this happening. Usually something is floating around right before it happens, but this nothing besides what people think or want to happen..plus, if they get Unemyiora along with all the rest of the pick ups...they would have the problem of no nfl seaon in 2011 again as they would just cancel it and give the trophy to the patriots now.

I never heard anything about the Haynesworth trade until it happened either.

I never heard anything about the Haynesworth trade until it happened either.

Thats because we didnt hear ANYTHING about Haynesworth..folks are talking about Osi all over the place.

Thats because we didnt hear ANYTHING about Haynesworth..folks are talking about Osi all over the place.

In the immortal words of Mick Jagger-

"You can't always get what you want...........But if you try sometimes.....you might find.....you get what you need....."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes