PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Not Happy With the Groceries

Curran has already mentioned mayo is part of the succession plan. Is there reason why Mayo is still here.
The succession plan becomes void the minute they decide Bill Belichick's way doesn't work. You keep your plan intact when the coach leaves on a good note and retires and you want to maintain continuity. Bill Walsh retiring after winning a 3rd Super Bowl and his coordinator George Siefert getting the HC gig is an example.

There's no point in going next man up on a regime you don't believe is working anymore. When you decide the top guy is a problem, you don't cut the head off and keep the body.

Yeah Curran might have been told that the succession plan was for Mayo to take over after Bill. But that presumes that Bill leaves with everyone happy with his way. If you are going to fire him just to place Mayo in charge, you might as well not even fire him.

OL in 2020 and 2021 were solid. And we had Josh Mcdaniels. That might be the difference imo.
We had better lines true. We also had Edelman, Meyers, James White and Sony Michel playing in 2020. Then in 2021 we had Meyers, Bourne, a much better Stevenson, and Harris. Oh and JJ Taylor was here both years.

Those weren't amazing weapons, but they weren't completely anemic.

If your goal is to have a top 10 offense then yeah it’s not a one man fix but if your goal is to have a competent enough offense to win game then yes, it’s a one man fix.

This team would be 3-2 right now with just an average QB. Because a decent QB will help the OL and despite what everyone is saying there are guys that are open but for that you need a QB that throw NFL open which Mac can’t do.

If a receiver has less than 5 yards of separation he is not open for Mac Jones.

im not in the defending Mac business anymore, but there is plenty of evidence all over the league that a QB and even elite WRs dont magically solve your offensive woes

Broncos 1-5
Russel Wilson
Sutton
Jeudy

Vikings 1-4
Cousins
Justin Jefferson
Jordan Addison
NKEAL HARRY!!!!!!

Bengals 2-3
Burrows
Chase
Boyd
Higgins

Raiders 2-3
Jimmy G
Davante Adams

NY Giants 1-4
Jones
trash at WR but have Saquon Barkley

Chicago Bears 1-4
Fields
DJ Moore
Claypool

Rams 2-3
Stafford
Kupp
Nacua

As for "sabotage," I suspect if anything it's more the similar "self-defeating behavior." I doubt, that is, that he has chosen to undermine the team's chances, but it may be that his emotional state at this point in his life compels him to act in a manner which does so will he or nil he.

Yeah I wouldn't call it sabotage either; but Bill would still rather lose his way that win someone else's way.

The succession plan becomes void the minute they decide Bill Belichick's way doesn't work. You keep your plan intact when the coach leaves on a good note and retires and you want to maintain continuity. Bill Walsh retiring after winning a 3rd Super Bowl and his coordinator George Siefert getting the HC gig is an example.

There's no point in going next man up on a regime you don't believe is working anymore. When you decide the top guy is a problem, you don't cut the head off and keep the body.

Yeah Curran might have been told that the succession plan was for Mayo to take over after Bill. But that presumes that Bill leaves with everyone happy with his way. If you are going to fire him just to place Mayo in charge, you might as well not even fire him.
Great Post: succession plans can work I think BB is wearing too many hats at the moment. He's doing it his way which doesn't work anymore. IF Mayo is the successor get him a Real GM so he can concentrate on Coaching only.

im not in the defending Mac business anymore, but there is plenty of evidence all over the league that a QB and even elite WRs dont magically solve your offensive woes

Broncos 1-5
Russel Wilson
Sutton
Jeudy

Vikings 1-4
Cousins
Justin Jefferson
Jordan Addison
NKEAL HARRY!!!!!!

Bengals 2-3
Burrows
Chase
Boyd
Higgins

Raiders 2-3
Jimmy G
Davante Adams

NY Giants 1-4
Jones
trash at WR but have Saquon Barkley

Chicago Bears 1-4
Fields
DJ Moore
Claypool

Rams 2-3
Stafford
Kupp
Nacua
The Rams and Bengals will improve they are much better than their records. I think the Raiders are playing the easy part of their schedule now I think they'll be in it. The Vikings I don't know.

Mac has more often than not had plenty of time, film has shown receivers running open if the throw was made on time or at all.

Tom Brady never led the entire NFL in turnovers, not when he was pressured, not close to ever… that’s just a terrible comparison. That 2019 team went 12-4 because he was willing to throw it away.

The Pats have the worst starting QB in football, that’s why they’re 1-4. With Herbert or Burrow they’re 4-1 at worst.
Both Burrow and Herbert hold records of 2-2 and 2-3. How would they have us at 4-1 when a) we’ve played arguable the toughest schedule in the entire league and b) we have worse overall offensive talent than both cincy and LA? I can see 2-3 maybe 3-2 but 4-1? No way.

True. But mayo if that's the case being his successor would then have to be his own man. It could just be RK blowing smoke.. But anyway however BB leaves there will have to be someone to succeed him. Just like the GOAT there will never Be a HC to sustain the level of excellence he did.

I was a Mac fan going in soley for the fact that BB and Josh brought him in. The first year seemed good, he got to the Pro Bowl as an alternate. The second year was plain and simply a failure starting at the top and this year is a failure from top to bottom and Mac doesn't seem like the leader going forward. When we brought in Malik as an UDFA I felt this is the new path for us and I feel BoB has something to do with that. I hope we can see in the coming weeks Malik gets a bit of playing time anywhere on the field.

The discussion was about QBs who were not the GOAT and age never came up. You ignored Drew Bledsoe's 5-13 with Bill because it didn't fit whatever argument you were trying to make. With each anemic loss the decision to get rid of Bill becomes more obvious, at least it should.

I can't imagine what will happen if they lose to the Raiders this week. It could get ugly around here.
You can argue with yourself because you're making up whatever topic.

I wasn't discussing any of that.

I recommend watching brett kollmann‘s breakdown of the pats offense on YouTube. He breaks down some issues and shows plays regarding o-line and mac. Really good to see some A22 breakdowns there

Both Burrow and Herbert hold records of 2-2 and 2-3. How would they have us at 4-1 when a) we’ve played arguable the toughest schedule in the entire league and b) we have worse overall offensive talent than both cincy and LA? I can see 2-3 maybe 3-2 but 4-1? No way.

I don't think fans want to admit its more than a 1 guy fix. because if they do that then that means Bill is not the guy and this is longer than 1 offseason of having to rebuild this offense. after having 4 years of rebuilding it. its all about defending Bill from any criticism.

the reality is you look across the roster. at least on offense and theres no one you can see as part of the future. maybe stevenson? and that is after 4 years of drafting. most teams even if they arent great you see some guys like "oh yeah they are building something" ours is barren. and thats all on the GM.

We had better lines true. We also had Edelman, Meyers, James White and Sony Michel playing in 2020. Then in 2021 we had Meyers, Bourne, a much better Stevenson, and Harris. Oh and JJ Taylor was here both years.

Those weren't amazing weapons, but they weren't completely anemic.

and any competent GM should've been thinking to build from that, upgrade and replace guys as they left. Instead he ignored offense or downgraded and here we are....

media/fans been calling since march that the OL is an issue and the receivers are "stink stank stunk" but fans put their head in the sand just like last year when the media said hiring patricia/judge is unconventional and bad.

and any competent GM should've been thinking to build from that, upgrade and replace guys as they left. Instead he ignored offense or downgraded and here we are....

media/fans been calling since march that the OL is an issue and the receivers are "stink stank stunk" but fans put their head in the sand just like last year when the media said hiring patricia/judge is unconventional and bad.
So which one is it? Did they stick their head in the sand or did the fans call out glaring errors on the team?

So which one is it? Did they stick their head in the sand or did the fans call out glaring errors on the team?

Some on this board called out glaring errors on the team. Or were worried that we ignored offense in the draft/free agency.

It was a constant in the media. Giardis "stink stank stunk" got him ire on this board.

But there are some who to defend bill are still sticking their head in the sand. Or pretending that the roster is good. It's just one person holding it back. Easier to think it's a one man fix than the offense as a whole is rotten and missing pieces all over

Some on this board called out glaring errors on the team. Or were worried that we ignored offense in the draft/free agency.

It was a constant in the media. Giardis "stink stank stunk" got him ire on this board.

But there are some who to defend bill are still sticking their head in the sand. Or pretending that the roster is good. It's just one person holding it back. Easier to think it's a one man fix than the offense as a whole is rotten and missing pieces all over
Sorry, I couldn't hear you. It's hard to hear with my head stuck in the sand.

The Chargers have the 27th worst defense in points allowed (PPD), that's the biggest reason they're 2-2. Offensively they're 5th in scoring... it's the defense.

The Bengal's D isn't as bad but they're 19th in points allowed so they've fallen off from past years. The bigger problem has been their offensive line finally got Burrow too injured to move around... and if he can't run for his life behind that porous offensive line he is screwed. Their offense is ranked 29th in scoring but Burrow is starting to get healthy.

The Pats D is ranked 10th in points allowed (PPD), the majority of points this team has given up were pick sixes and fumble scoop and scores caused by Mac Jones. Since week two our offensive line also got healthier and they've let up half as many sacks in the past three games than they allowed in the first two. Mac has imploded.

With great QB to start this season they would be in a much better place. The QB position is the biggest problem on this team.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back