PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi weighs in on team's moves and motives

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should try Joker's Church Of Good Looks

it's a short mass...quick and to the point..

My son..you look good...leave the $500 in the appropriate collection box..amen

Ummmm..... free agency IS how the team won. Again, I haven't backtracked a bit.

Then why wouldnt you confirm that as your opinion by answering my question and saying the list of players you posted had more to do with winning in 03 and 04 than the list I posted?
If you think you are right then stand behind it

You should try Joker's Church Of Good Looks

it's a short mass...quick and to the point..

My son..you look good...leave the $500 in the appropriate collection box..amen
I know God wouldn't want you to lie. :(

In other yrs it might have been a good idea to sign FAs, like in 2007 when it was a weak draft class, but this yr the FA class is weak and the draft is strong, so why sign FAs?? It's clear to me that this is the year you build through the draft and it's apparent the Pats knew that last yr. With three 2nd RD picks and 1st RD talent stretching deep into RD 2 why not do that?

Then why wouldnt you confirm that as your opinion by answering my question and saying the list of players you posted had more to do with winning in 03 and 04 than the list I posted?
If you think you are right then stand behind it

I'd confirmed that opinion in multiple posts. I didn't to specifically answer your post in order to do so.

You know, for someone who wasn't going to post responses to me anymore, you're awfully busy posting responses to me on 3 different threads. You should feel free to stop doing that.

The current roster (68 including PS and IR) has 31 drafted players 4 unrestricted free agent, 14 free agents (players waived and signed) 17 undrafted free agents and 3 players from trades.

I personally attribute UDFA to the draft because they are a product of the college scouting process, like Hoyer and Guyton. So 48 players on the roster are a direct result of the draft. The UFA and FA are role players, with the exception of AD, who was supposed to be a difference maker and has been a disappointment.

The current roster (68 including PS and IR) has 31 drafted players 4 unrestricted free agent, 14 free agents (players waived and signed) 17 undrafted free agents and 3 players from trades.

I personally attribute UDFA to the draft because they are a product of the college scouting process, like Hoyer and Guyton. So 48 players on the roster are a direct result of the draft. The UFA and FA are role players, with the exception of AD, who was supposed to be a difference maker and has been a disappointment.

Those numbers really don't mean anything until you get to the final 53. Also undrafted free agents are not a product of the draft by definition because they went UNDRAFTED. However I think about 15-20% of the players in the NFL are UDFAs. so there is a signficant (although minor compared to other sources) amount of players who come into the NFL that were not drafted.

Last edited:
Rodney Harrison, Christian Fauria, Je'rod Cherry, Don Davis, Bobby Hamilton, Larry Izzo, Roman Phifer, Anthony Pleasant, Tyrone Poole, Antwain Smith, Roosevelt Colvin, Josh Miller, David Patten, Keith Traylor, Mike Vrabel

say hello. FA and Draft both were used to strengthen the roster with depth.

While I agree you need both none of the players listed, other than Colvin, was considered a top notch free agent, they were just a bunch of JAGs.

In other yrs it might have been a good idea to sign FAs, like in 2007 when it was a weak draft class, but this yr the FA class is weak and the draft is strong, so why sign FAs?? It's clear to me that this is the year you build through the draft and it's apparent the Pats knew that last yr. With three 2nd RD picks and 1st RD talent stretching deep into RD 2 why not do that?

Sorry in advance, but yeah, that's why BB traded away our 3rd and 5th this year for Burgess and opted to take Oakland's 2011 1st instead of this year's. :rolleyes: (and please don't go into the possible rookie salary cap thing.) Also, don't drink the koolaide that's being sold about this year's draft class being so deep--only time will tell on that one.

I do think it's possible that on some level BB regrets the way he built the 2007 team (signing the top FA on the market, plus trading for two premier players). Aside from the fact that AD ended up backfiring, the 2007 team was all about the Brady/Moss/Welker show. That team steamrolled everyone so badly that any deficiences we had on defense were never exposed and never addressed. And the biggest problem with the reliance on Brady/Moss/Welker to bludgeon everyone in the passing game is that, as we've seen, any one of the three goes down and basically, season ovah.

Last edited:
A gold star for the academic installment; for extra credit would you like to do a field practical (fan version) for the New England Patriots applying the literature to the challenge they face in the 2010 offseason? You may "Kraft" your answer beginning with their situation as it is known to fans as of March 7, 2010. :)

I'm thrilled.

Field practical? Well, of course, in a world where information matters, the Pats front office have information that I don't have. That's my point! They should know, for example, whether the career of Adalius Thomas was a recruitment failure or a management failure. What I can do with some confidence is identify principles and criticize outcomes (Adalius Thomas represents one or the other kind of failure; likewise the "Lucky Hans" trading strategy for tight ends).

On grounds of principle, you should be biased towards re-signing your own. So (on the limited information I have) I want to see Bodden and Watson re-signed. After that, the Patriots would still be left with some serious needs at wider receiver and tight end. And if they could find a way to establish communications with Adalius Thomas and/or magic up a pass rusher I'd be thrilled. Where that person should come from, I've no idea. Probably not by sending a 3rd and a 5th to Oakland. ;)

Last edited:
Sorry in advance, but yeah, that's why BB traded away our 3rd and 5th this year for Burgess and opted to take Oakland's 2011 1st instead of this year's. :rolleyes: (and please don't go into the possible rookie salary cap thing.) Also, don't drink the koolaide that's being sold about this year's draft class being so deep--only time will tell on that one.

I do think it's possible that on some level BB regrets the way he built the 2007 team (signing the top FA on the market, plus trading for two premier players). Aside from the fact that AD ended up backfiring, the 2007 team was all about the Brady/Moss/Welker show. That team steamrolled everyone so badly that any deficiences we had on defense were never exposed and never addressed. And the biggest problem with the reliance on Brady/Moss/Welker to bludgeon everyone in the passing game is that, as we've seen, any one of the three goes down and basically, season ovah.

With a draft not as deep expected next yr a 1st RD pick in 2011 is more valuable then one this yr, since it is a deeper draft and the Pats already had three 2nd RD'ers.

Brady wen't down in 2008 and the season wasn't "ovah."

How can Lombardi say the Pats aren't interested in free agency only two days in. They might not be interested in the overpriced marquee names, but might become very active once the first wave is over.

I'm thrilled.

Field practical? Well, of course, in a world where information matters, the Pats front office have information that I don't have. That's my point! They should know, for example, whether the career of Adalius Thomas was a recruitment failure or a management failure. What I can do with some confidence is identify principles and criticize outcomes (Adalius Thomas represents one or the other kind of failure; likewise the "Lucky Hans" trading strategy for tight ends).

On grounds of principle, you should be biased towards re-signing your own. So (on the limited information I have) I want to see Bodden and Watson re-signed. After that, the Patriots would still be left with some serious needs at wider receiver and tight end. And if they could find a way to establish communications with Adalius Thomas and/or magic up a pass rusher I'd be thrilled. Where that person should come from, I've no idea. Probably not by sending a 3rd and a 5th to Oakland. ;)
Well, that third and fifth appears to have been a miscalculation regarding the younger OLB corps, exacerbated by the NT futures market. Perhaps Brace was the best value. A year late, Vince is now amicably back in the fold, which has the pick of Brace looking like one that could have been better directed at an OLB project - though we might still have wound up with Burgess (whom I feel played better then his credit around here would indicate).

It is what it is. You've identified retention of NE's own players, which began last season rather early, and is currently down to a remainder, most of whom appear to be keeping NE on their dance card. Other then using rectal probes to reach Afailius' brain directly, what other team building options might Bill consider?

It is what it is. You've identified retention of NE's own players, which began last season rather early, and is currently down to a remainder, most of whom appear to be keeping NE on their dance card. Other then using rectal probes to reach Afailius' brain directly, what other team building options might Bill consider?
:youtheman:

Well, here at Staff College we want to learn from failure, whether that's free agent failure (Adalius), trade failure (Burgess) or draft failure (Chad Jackson). The assigned question was: which strategy is best?, but, of course, it's an impossible question. The obvious truth is that if you execute any of them badly you will fail. As for the options that BB should consider, the only rational answer is: all of the above.

However (and seriously for a minute) if I were the coach of the Patriots, the thing that I would be doing immediately was getting in touch with Adalius Thomas.

SCENE ONE
AD: Yeah, what?
BB: Adalius, this is Bill Belichick.
AD: Uh, Coach -- what's up?
BB: I'm doing fine, thanks. I'm not going to ask you what you're doing, because I know. You're sitting on your couch in your living room. And do you want to know how I know? That's because I'm sitting at the end of your driveway.
AD: Uh, so why are you here?
BB: It's not because I want to see how many Ferraris you've bought with all that money we dumped in your lap, it's because we need to talk, just the two of us -- no Bart Scott, no Rex Ryan, just us.

SCENE TWO
AD: All right, what have you got to say?
BB: See, Adalius, it's quite simple. You think that by being a pain in the butt, talking to reporters, stirring things in the locker room, you're going to shoot your way out of town. But you signed a contract, buddy, and so, take it from me, it's not going to happen that way. Believe me. I know. It's my decision. So what we have to talk about is this. What sort of a career do you want in New England? If it hasn't happened the way that you wanted, why not? How can we make it work better? If you and I can find a way to do that, let's start here today. If not ... well you'll just have to get used to living in the dog house ...

I know this is late, but post #44 has some very good points

i can't say that the pats do not want to sign any FA's im sure they will sign a few guys to fill some holes so come draft day. they wont have to reach. for players to fill holes but can take the best talent. on the bord.

there maybe a few trades on draft day they could draft a WR in the 2th round. and maybe give the eagels a 4th or 5th for kevin curtis, or they could draft. Jerry Hughes, and trade for shawn marriman.

there is a lot that could go down on draft day. the offseason is far from over the pats will add lots of guys into the mix.

Excellent. Now class, moving on to 2010, which team building options offer the best return on value in the remainder of the offseason? You choices are Free Agency, Trade, and Draft. Keep your essays under 10,000 words. Begin. :)

gee.....let's see......get our LB's in the draft this year?

I wonder how that will work out for the next few years

i can't say that the pats do not want to sign any FA's im sure they will sign a few guys to fill some holes so come draft day. they wont have to reach. for players to fill holes but can take the best talent. on the bord.

there maybe a few trades on draft day they could draft a WR in the 2th round. and maybe give the eagels a 4th or 5th for kevin curtis, or they could draft. Jerry Hughes, and trade for shawn marriman.

there is a lot that could go down on draft day. the offseason is far from over the pats will add lots of guys into the mix.

yeah, because the WR's the pats have drafted in the 2nd round have worked out so well

yeah, because the WR's the pats have drafted in the 2nd round have worked out so well

Deion Branch, worked out pretty good. yes there was Bethel Johnson, who was just a KR and Chad Jackson, who was a bust. but if the pats miss out on antonio bryant, thats all they got. is the draft. there is no reason to beleve. that every WR the pats draft will be a bust.

but i do get what your saying i would be much happer if the pats sign someone other then david patten,

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft