Lombardi weighs in on team's moves and motives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:
Yeah, because that's where the Patriots got [by far] the two best players whom they've obtained in the last 4 years. :rolleyes:

Draft picks are important, either by infusing talent by drafting good players or trading them for talented players (Welker, Moss, etc.).

If you go look on the roster, most of the players were drafted by the team or traded for. FA is really not a good way to build a team.

I guess I find it interesting he says the Pats were never interested in Boldin..

Last edited:
The patriots are always interested in the draft and in signing their own. We almost never make a huge splash in the early portion of free agency, especially for the high-profile players.

That being said, there is still a ways to go regarding our own free agents. We still don't know what will happen to Bodden, Faulk, Green, Watson or Burgess.

And while signing our own is the top priority, we are certainly in the mix in the bidding for the receivers available.

Draft picks are important, either by infusing talent by drafting good players or trading them for talented players (Welker, Moss, etc.).

If you go look on the roster, most of the players were drafted by the team or traded for. FA is really not a good way to build a team.

I never said it was and I agree that ideally you want to build through the draft. However, could anyone argue with a straight face that the picks we gave up for Welker and Moss likely could have turned into players remotely as good?

Reiss made some good points in his ESPN column yesterday about this same subject. The draft is always going to be a crapshoot (we all know this). If a team wants to be in contention NOW and has holes, giving up picks for proven and experienced NFL players sometimes is the best way to go.

Last edited:
If a team wants to be in contention NOW and has holes, giving up picks for proven and experienced NFL players is often the best way to go.

True, but the other teams are only willing to trade proven and experienced players for a reason.

For Welker, we stole him on a RFA tender offer.
For Moss, a lot of people thought he was done. Hence the 4th round value.

True, but the other teams are only willing to trade proven and experienced players for a reason.

For Welker, we stole him on a RFA tender offer.
For Moss, a lot of people thought he was done. Hence the 4th round value.

Welker was traded for not signed as a RFA.

Yeah, because that's where the Patriots got [by far] the two best players whom they've obtained in the last 4 years. :rolleyes:
Living in the past can be fun, but occasional visits to the "now" of "today" have value too.

FA is how the team won in 2001, 2003 and 2004. If that's not a good way to build the team, perhaps using more of the bad way is in order?

FA is how the team won in 2001, 2003 and 2004. If that's not a good way to build the team, perhaps using more of the bad way is in order?
Excellent. Now class, moving on to 2010, which team building options offer the best return on value in the remainder of the offseason? You choices are Free Agency, Trade, and Draft. Keep your essays under 10,000 words. Begin. :)

Living in the past can be fun, but occasional visits to the "now" of "today" have value too.

Very right.

On the other hand, I'm all for trading a 4th rder for Larry Fitzgerald.

Excellent. Now class, moving on to 2010, which team building options offer the best return on value in the remainder of the offseason? You choices are Free Agency, Trade, and Draft. Keep your essays under 10,000 words. Begin. :)

"Teacher, I have a question: Do we have to pick just one option, or can we choose more than one?" :confused3:

"Teacher, I have a question: Do we have to pick just one option, or can we choose more than one?" :confused3:
All options will be exploited to their fullest, but given the situation as it stands today in terms of talent and applicability to what we know NE likes to do, where is it likely they will find the best opportunity to rebuild? Gold star for asking a good question. ;)

ummmm
SB champs NO Saints would disagree as recent most example.

Very right.

On the other hand, I'm all for trading a 4th rder for Larry Fitzgerald.
Isn't he the DE from Kansas State? Oops, my bad, that's Jeffrey.

Welker was traded for not signed as a RFA.

Welker was traded since Kraft (BB?) did not want to be stuck with a poison pill contract, Pats or Doophins.

He was signed as a RFA but the teams agreed to work out a "deal" so both sides were happy

The patriots are always interested in the draft and in signing their own. We almost never make a huge splash in the early portion of free agency, especially for the high-profile players.

That being said, there is still a ways to go regarding our own free agents. We still don't know what will happen to Bodden, Faulk, Green, Watson or Burgess.

And while signing our own is the top priority, we are certainly in the mix in the bidding for the receivers available.

Bodden and Faulk are important. Mostly because we have a need and they fill it better than the alternative.
Green, Watson and Burgess are all expendable and replaceable. I can take or leave each of them. Watson would be first on that list, and Green and Burgess would be in the wings but more out the door than in, IMO.

I fear dimensia is setting in with you.
In 2001, we signed a ton of low level FAs to fill out the roster.
2003 and 2004 were teams built most heavily through the draft, and in a few cases trades.
Who were all these FAs that we built the team with in 03-04?

All options will be exploited to their fullest, but given the situation as it stands today in terms of talent and applicability to what we know NE likes to do, where is it likely they will find the best opportunity to rebuild? Gold star for asking a good question. ;)
Teacher, teacher..me, me i know....The Draft :bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots