PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi thinks Bruschi will be cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they were really leaning that way, then somebody else surely should have seen a whole lot more snaps with the 1st team D in camp.

It's very reasonable to say that Bruschi isn't making the impact that he once did, or that he's no longer a full-time player, or even that the end is nigh. But I haven't seen anything in camp or preseason to suggest that they're structuring the team anticipating his absence. Doesn't make sense to me.

That's a bit harsh. I certainly wouldn't put myself in the panic crowd -- quite the opposite -- but I thought this was a relevant discussion given it's the opinion of a fairly well-respected former NFL exec.

And frankly, given Bruschi's huge drop off in performance, I think it merits discussion. I don't think it will happen this year, but the end is clearly very nigh for Tedy that it can even be discussed.

I don't think it's panicky or looking to place blame or any of that. Certainly there are members of the Ulcer Club on this board who are stressing the third quarter performance of the fourth preseason game, and maybe your moaning comment is directed more towards that crowd ...

I wasn't referring to you specifically, but to the panicked fans in general. This site is full of people who are acting as if the team went 0-16 last year AND lost 14 of its best players since then. Actually, if I'm recalling correctly, you've been one of the more 'stable' personalities over the course of the past couple of weeks.

As for Bruschi's 'huge' drop off in performance, his performance last year was good enough for 18-1. As I said, I think he's nearing the end, but I don't think exhibition games when the #1 defense almost all played uninspired football is the measuring stick we should use.

there is no way bruschi get cut. he has a contract that is managable and he still one of the top 5 leaders of this team. milloy had a bloated contract and it needed to get re-done. he declined and got released. total different situations.

If it happened I wouldn't be totally shocked. I believe if we had won SB42 then Bruschi retires right then and there. Of course he wants to give it another go and not have THAT game be the final game of his career, but his body may not be able to match his heart this time around. The guy gave us 2.5 seasons more than we could have expected after the stroke and he is a true Patriot but if his release is in the best interest of the team then that's the way it has to be.

While his dismissal could be an absolute heartbreaker for our fanbase, Pats fans have weathered storms like this before.

That would be a tough cut, but if it makes the team better, what more do we want. I think he'll become a back-up before we cut him. Also, if we cut him, I totally expect Seau to be brought back to take his spot.

Lombardi is dead wrong.

I'll believe it when I see it. The Pats D is very head, and Bruschi has a good head on his shoulders and a lot of experience in the system. Obviously his physical skills are in decline, but I haven't seen enough to believe that he can't at least be a good 1st and 2nd down, run stuffing back ala Ted Johnson who had very little mobility in his later years but still contributed.

So who is going to start? Alexander? Guyton? Hobson? If they let Alexander and Hobson go too, they will have no veterans at all at LB.

Before the training camp started, I thought there was a remote chance of Bruschi getting cut or retiring if Mayo and Hobson stepped up and won the starting roles. But only Mayo did and he still needs to work on shedding his blocks a bit more.

Bruschi stays, but could lose playing time as the season goes along if some of the back ups develop.

At best, Bruschi is this year and out. If Seau is re-signed, he will

be coming off an injury and will turn 40 in January. Hobson has struggled

to learn the system and has a one year contract. Alexander and Izzo are

special teams only. This is why I lobby for Gary Guyton. He has

looked promising and is under contract for two years.

Bruschi must stay and mentor Mayo for at least this season. This would be a terrible move.

Yes, I am sure BB played Bruschi for every defensive snap at ILB when the 1st team was in to fool the rest of the league.

Last edited:
Foolishness......we are trying to groom younger LB's in a tough system, why would we get rid of the mentor and leader? He may take a smaller load 'on the field', but no way he's cut!

he wont get cut. Benched maybe but not cut.

Bruschi isn't geting cut and he will be close to the team lead in tackles again. No wonder Lombardi isnt in the NFL anymore

These are the choices to replace Bruschi at ILB: Victor Hobson, who is on the bubble himself, Eric Alexander and Gary Guyton or Mike Vrabel if the Pats move him inside and go with Adalius Thomas and Pierre Woods as starters at OLB so I don’t see it. They could go 4-3 with Mayo at MLB or maybe they swing a trade but if they stick with the 3-4, which they will, I don’t see Bruschi going anywhere. Bruschi looks a bit quicker to me this year, but I am not a former NFL exec. like Lombardi.

Ill be surprised if Bru gets cut, Ill be alot more comfortable with Bru in the lineup then Hobson. No way this happens.

It says a lot more about fans who can't adjust to the loss in the Super Bowl and keep looking for things to panic about.
funny in a sad kind of way because it's so true

Last edited:
I didn't read every post but can i safely assume Lombardi was mocked and called something like an idiot?

How much Bruschi has played can't be a sure sign that he's staying - I don't recall any clear sign of Milloy's impending cut in the preseason judged on playing time. The contract/cap hit thing was different, I'm just saying that I don't remember Lawyer's axing being telegraphed by lowered playing time.

Hobson has been dull to invisible IMHO and doesn't jump out as a replacement for Bruschi. If Bru can still run at all I'd guess he'd be kept as a mentor to Mayo if nothing else. I'm not impressed with Bruschi's play the last year or two but the Pat's don't exactly have guys pushing him out of the way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back