PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lloyd has rejected at least six inquiries about playing

I definitely agree with you on this. Llyod was serviceable, but lacked a lot of things to be a good WR2 in terms of any kind of downfield attack. We will have to deal with the growing pains of the new rookies, but it should pay off much better in the long run and for the future. We needed speed, youth, big play ability, and cost efficiency at the position. These all can be had with some patience, but it may not happen this particular year either which does leave the team with a hole to fill.

I also agree with this on some level, but not for the reasoning you provide. I don't think it's too likely that we'll be going after a guy like any of the ones you named above, especially when we re-tooled the position this season + the history of the lack of these kinds of picks overall. I highly doubt that we'd be lucky enough to find an AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, etc

On top of that Belichick does not like to sink much money into this position, and it would appear that he doesn't agree with the value placed on them in free agency either. Otherwise, we may have made a run at a guy like Greg Jennings or Anquan Boldin, who were both fairly expensive. There's just absolutely no way that Belichick will ever dedicate the salary cap percentage to attempt to bring in a guy like Mike Wallace etc. That's just not going to happen.

Where I agree is your comment about "not being short sighted." I think that's spot on. If everyone is patient and they continue to build up a chemistry and rapport, then a guy like Thompkins or Dobson may be able to be that kind of reliable target, on a much lesser level that the examples that you provided of course but with better value.

well, i hope that mentality changes. we need to spend some money on WRs or trade up and go get a legit future superstar WR. we need to put up points in the playoffs. our offense in past few years doesn't perform as well in the playoffs because well we really lacked WRs who can make a difference. imagine having a guy like Q playing next to welker & gronk. that WR corp would've been lethal.

well i hope our young guys groom into studs, but man we did have some many misses in this department. i hope thompkins or dobson is that guy.

Re: Re: Lloyd has rejected at least six inquiries about playing

Emmanuel Sanders will be an unrestricted free agent next year. ;)

And the Steelers know this.

Maybe we should float them an offer even if we think we can dnag him next year after he's gone UFA.

don't want him. and we don't need him. we will never be elite with guys like lloyd. what we need is a freak WR who can go get it. megatron, julio jones, AJ green of the world.

we don't have that guy this year, but we can always go get that guy in the draft or in FA next year. let's not be short sighted.

Not wanting a player, simply because they're not elite, is the most short-sighted thing I can imagine.

The only relevant question is: will signing this player make us a better team?

And the Steelers know this.

Maybe we should float them an offer even if we think we can dnag him next year after he's gone UFA.

Why? If the team really wanted him, they would have given him an impossible to match offer. They seem perfectly happy with who they have now.

After all, ignorance is bliss.

As a data point...

Ramin (San Marcos, TX)
Hey Mike, are you buying the report that Brandon Lloyd rejected six teams INCLUDING the Patriots?

Mike (12:08 PM)
Not buying it, Ramin. Don't think the Patriots have interest in Lloyd's return.

Just for fun, here are the top FA WR's at the moment

Obviously, Llyod and Branch are the only ones that know our system

Brandon Lloyd
Laurent Robinson
Devery Henderson
Braylon Edwards
David Nelson
Austin Collie
Lavelle Hawkins
Mohamed Massaquoi
Donte’ Stallworth
Steve Breaston
Josh Cribbs (KR/PR)
Michael Jenkins
Deion Branch
Early Doucet
Ramses Barden
Anthony Armstrong
Devin Aromashodu
Chaz Schilens
Mike Thomas
Courtney Roby
Chad Johnson
Jabar Gaffney
Derek Hagan
Tiquan Underwood
Matthew Willis
Naaman Roosevelt
Deon Butler
Roscoe Parrish (PR)
Brandon Banks (KR/PR)
Patrick Crayton
Sammie Stroughter
Jason Hill
Jordan Shipley
Jordan Norwood
Brian Robiskie
Ruvell Martin
Patrick Turner
Greg Camarillo (PR)
Legedu Naanee
Mardy Gilyard (KR)
Devin Thomas
Adrian Arrington
Michael Clayton
Terrence Austin
Richard Goodman (KR)
Terrance Copper
Demetrius Williams
Brett Swain
Maurice Stovall (TE)
Jerheme Urban
DeMarco Sampson
Devon Wylie
Jaymar Johnson
Quan Cosby (PR/KR)
Ronald Johnson
Chastin West
Lance Long
Tim Toone
Terrence Toliver
Nathan Palmer
Jeff Fuller
Jamar Newsome
B.J. Cunningham

...and Jabar Gaffney, Tiquan Underwood and Donte Stallworth. Which raises an interesting question, with Amendola nursing his groin and Vereen gone for 8 weeks, wouldn't it make sense to bring back Underwood and Lloyd (if he's interested.)

There are a lot names on that list I do not recognize, and the ones I know are severely injured (Collie) washed up (Cribbs) or head cases (Braylon Edwards).

Does anyone see a guy on there who is healthy enough to be at least as good as Lloyd - four to five catches per game for 55 yards?

...and Jabar Gaffney, Tiquan Underwood and Donte Stallworth. Which raises an interesting question, with Amendola nursing his groin and Vereen gone for 8 weeks, wouldn't it make sense to bring back Underwood and Lloyd (if he's interested.)

There are a lot names on that list I do not recognize, and the ones I know are severely injured (Collie) washed up (Cribbs) or head cases (Braylon Edwards).

Does anyone see a guy on there who is healthy enough to be at least as good as Lloyd - four to five catches per game for 55 yards?

It makes no sense to bring back Lloyd. Ever. :cool: Underwood is no better than KT, Boyce and Dobson, so I'm not seeing the urgency there either.

Time for Lloyd to receive a 7th inquiry.

All of this talk about Llyod is silly. All of the reports state that he's not ready to play "mentally nor physically," and that he's very likely to never play another down of football again.

And the reports state that the Pats reached out to him a long time ago, not recently.

Unless someone is going to return that knows the system, there's not much chance if any that Belichick would bring him in. I don't remember too many guys coming in from other teams unless they already had previous knowledge of our system, at least at this point in time anyway.

I wasn't too hot on the idea of a player like Branch, Gaffney or Stallworth returning, but after tonight's performance of punting more times than we got first downs I think it's a reasonable consideration for a handful of games.

I'd actually love to see moss come back

He scored some tds in San Fran

Still some gas left in him

If Steve smith can do it so can moss

What would you suggest that he do about his contractual obligation to Fox network even IF he wanted to return, and more importantly if Belichick wanted him to return?

It is now being reported that the Patriots contacted Lloyd...

But it is being reported by PFT... so who knows???

I think Lloyd is in a very strong position now. Can't imagine he comes back for chump change.

In addition to Branch and Lloyd, Hawkins, Jenkins, Underwood and Stallworth all know our system.

I think it reasonable to consider bringing in Hawkins or Jenkins or Underwood. I thought that Boyce would be inactive almost all year (which is fine).

Just for fun, here are the top FA WR's at the moment

Obviously, Llyod and Branch are the only ones that know our system

Brandon Lloyd
Laurent Robinson
Devery Henderson
Braylon Edwards
David Nelson
Austin Collie
Lavelle Hawkins
Mohamed Massaquoi
Donte’ Stallworth
Steve Breaston
Josh Cribbs (KR/PR)
Michael Jenkins
Deion Branch
Early Doucet
Ramses Barden
Anthony Armstrong
Devin Aromashodu
Chaz Schilens
Mike Thomas
Courtney Roby
Chad Johnson
Jabar Gaffney
Derek Hagan
Tiquan Underwood
Matthew Willis
Naaman Roosevelt
Deon Butler
Roscoe Parrish (PR)
Brandon Banks (KR/PR)
Patrick Crayton
Sammie Stroughter
Jason Hill
Jordan Shipley
Jordan Norwood
Brian Robiskie
Ruvell Martin
Patrick Turner
Greg Camarillo (PR)
Legedu Naanee
Mardy Gilyard (KR)
Devin Thomas
Adrian Arrington
Michael Clayton
Terrence Austin
Richard Goodman (KR)
Terrance Copper
Demetrius Williams
Brett Swain
Maurice Stovall (TE)
Jerheme Urban
DeMarco Sampson
Devon Wylie
Jaymar Johnson
Quan Cosby (PR/KR)
Ronald Johnson
Chastin West
Lance Long
Tim Toone
Terrence Toliver
Nathan Palmer
Jeff Fuller
Jamar Newsome
B.J. Cunningham

It is now being reported that the Patriots contacted Lloyd...

But it is being reported by PFT... so who knows???

LOL @ Florio with the snide remark at the end of his article "We can understand why the Patriots would deny it. For starters, the Patriots like to create the impression that they get what they want, and what they don’t get they didn’t want."

Michael Jenkins really needs to be signed yesterday. He's limited, but he can run routes and catch footballs which is something.

In addition to Branch and Lloyd, Hawkins, Jenkins, Underwood and Stallworth all know our system.

I think it reasonable to consider bringing in Hawkins or Jenkins or Underwood. I thought that Boyce would be inactive almost all year (which is fine).

Boyce needs more than 2 measly snaps/game. Dropson is the one who should be inactive.

And what has happened to Gaffney? He would be my #1 UFA target if he is ready, willing
& able to play now.

Boyce needs more than 2 measly snaps/game. Dropson is the one who should be inactive.

And what has happened to Gaffney? He would be my #1 UFA target if he is ready, willing
& able to play now.

I cant get over way they are not letting Boyce return a kick I can understand he cant run the routes but come on he was one of the best KR/PR in College football give him a shot to take one back

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back