PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Light 'received a fair offer which he refused'

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah...geez

We are considering what happens if Light is not re-signed and Solder is not ready.

Are you saying that you believe that Kaczur (LT) and Vollmer (RT) is stronger than Vollmer (LT) and Kaczur (RT). It has been a long time since Kaczur has started at LT. I would certainly be fine if dante believed that. It would mean tha Kaczur was still a considerable asset, as a starter at OT or OG, or as a backup. It is great to have a 6th starter.
I would prefer Volmer at RT and Solder at LT and give Solder some extra help if he needs it. Actually I'd prefer to have Light too, but the league has a salary cap.

No way in hell is Kaczur ever going to put in one down as LT.
Well if he is the 3rd T and the LT is injured, he would then.
He actually did a pretty good job there as a rookie.

The reason is if he gives us the best chance to win.
As fans we see if from the perspective of gambling whether he will be ready or not with no real way to know.
BB will know. Training camp and preseason games, on top of the predraft evaluation (and no doubt more extensive film study after he was drafted) will make this an easy decision for BB. This thread makes it seem like its a philosophical one. It won't be philosophical it will be a heavily analyzed assessment of whether he is ready or not.

Yes, I get it. If Belichick feels as though Solder gives us the best chance to win, then he'll start him. That determination will be made throughout TC, and as I have said, I doubt that even Belichick himself, has any idea whatsoever as to whether or not Solder will start---as of right now. However, it's just not as easy as you make it out to sound. There are several factors that will come into play with the decision, and that's what I have been saying. I agree that the biggest factor will be if Belichick/Dante think he's "ready."

In the meantime, this debate could go on forever, as we have absolutely no idea of any of the variables involved. You make it sound like it's as simple as Solder's talent level, however I am much more conservative/reserved in thinking that it will be made by multiple variables brought together, None of which we currently know. Some of these variables include:

--I am quite leery in thinking that Solder's talent level over the next 6 weeks will surpass that of several NFL experienced LT's, one of which, (Light) has proven himself as a pro bowler. If Solder is 'that' good immediately that he will instantly surpass Light's talent level, experience in the system for many yrs, and overall NFL experience--then God bless him, b/c we'll have the second coming of Anthony Munoz.

--Suppose Mankins gets traded, or stupidly decides to hold out, or refuse to sign the tender....Do you still think that Belichick makes the choice to put a rookie out there? I don't. I think it's much more reasonable to think that Logan Mankins playing LG here makes Solder playing from snap one even more of a possibility. I am NOT saying that is what the basis will be made on solely, and I will agree that the majority should be what you said--Is he ready? Does he give us the best chance to win the game? But the potential of having a solid LG + chipping a TE over there makes the case for Solder starting from day one, much more plausible.

--The possibility of an injury on the line, by one of either: Mankins, Kaczur, Light (if signed), or even LeVoir, could make the decision a whole lot easier to make for the coaching staff.

NONE of these variables do we currently have any information about, as most are impossible to determine as of this moment. Therefore, any discussion on the matter is basically pointless, and simply comes down to casual message board chat in the middle of July. There certainly isn't a right/wrong answer.

Last edited:
Kenyatta Jones has been unemployed for some time but I'm pretty sure he'll gladly come back if offered a contract.

If Triumph doesn't understand what a "bust" is...look up Gholston.

If you do not understand that Im not calling Solder a bust or a bad 1st round pick, read my first post. To make it clear, Im not questioning the Solder pick at all or the Pats draft.

Simply put, with so little time, is putting Solder at LT the right thing to do?

If McCourty made a mistake at CB, he gives up a TD. If Solder makes a mistake at LT, Brady gets driven in the turf. Take Brady out and you take the Pats out.

If you do not understand that Im not calling Solder a bust or a bad 1st round pick, read my first post. To make it clear, Im not questioning the Solder pick at all or the Pats draft.

If McCourty made a mistake at CB, he gives up a TD. If Solder makes a mistake at LT, Brady gets driven in the turf. Take Brady out and you take the Pats out.

I certainly understand what you are saying. The fact is that the choice will be carefully made over time, and I'm sure all aspects will be considered. Belichick has gotten the team this far, I expect his decision to be a lot closer to the 'right' one then we ever could make. Your point is the same thinking as I have, as it's not so much the player/rookie aspect that I am somewhat more concerned over, it is the overall importance of the position. There is plenty of time for things to shake out, and no matter what we always have to trust the coaching staff. If they deem Solder fit to protect the franchise's blind side from day one, then so be it. I will be fine with the choice if that's the direction that is chosen. In the meantime, we are just having a debate about one of the upcoming season's storylines.

I agree to a point....but Light and Mankins have made mistakes also and TB has side stepped or felt pressure and moved up.....Solder was a solid college LT.....there will be an adjustment and like stated, he will be getting help if needed.....

QB's get driven to the turf with veteran LT's guarding them.....getting out of harm's way is what makes them special....Brady is a master of that...he also isn't fragile ala Pennington.....

BB will make the decision as to who plays LT to begin the season...

In BB I trust :rocker:

Last edited:
There are three interrelated issues and none have to do with Solder.

1) Is MANKINS playing for the pats? He could hold out? He could be traded. He could sign a lon-term deal. Even if he holds out for camp, this will affect the cohesiveness of the left side. They will not have played together much.

2) How strong will KACZUR be coming back from his injury. Is he the LT of his rookie year? Is he the RT he was before injury? If he is back strong, then he is a player capable of starting at four positions on the line.

3) Does Light have any interest in staying for 2-3 years, with only one of those as a starting LT? Would he really give a significant discount to play LT/LG for us instead of starting elsewhere? Of course, an open question is how much Light will be offerred elsewhere.

Well if he is the 3rd T and the LT is injured, he would then.
He actually did a pretty good job there as a rookie.

His rookie season was 7 years ago. He is coming off season-ending back surgery and has missed an entire year, and has not put in a down at LT in forever.

I would be surprised if he makes roster.

I think the depth at LT would go like this:

1) Solder
2) Light (if he sticks around)
3) Vollmer (in an emergency)
4) Maneri + the occasional 6th lineman

Kenyatta Jones has been unemployed for some time but I'm pretty sure he'll gladly come back if offered a contract.

same with greg robinson-randall, brandon gorin, adrain klemm, and max lane

You don't spend the 17th overall pick on a player to ride the pine, lockout or not.

Last edited:
You don't spend the 17th overall pick on a player to ride the pine, lockout or not.

Totally agree...unless Solder gets injured, he'll be starting at LT, if not at the beginning of the season, halfway thru it or sooner....:rocker:

As I've noted before, Vollmer wasn't starting week one and he had the benefit of an entire offseason to get ready. He got his starts only after Light got injured. Wilfork only started 6 games as a rookie. Warren only started 4.

The notion that being a high pick automatically means that you start right away for the Patriots under Belichick is simply not historically accurate.

Last edited:
Uh-oh

Are you suggesting that discussions should be based on what actually happened rather than our reconstructions of reality?

Obviously Vollmer, Wilfork and Warren were drafted highly and did NOT begin the season as starters. Solder may start, or not. But if one wants to use history to give us information, then Belichick is NOT likely to want to start Solder.

As I've noted before, Vollmer wasn't starting week one and he had the benefit of an entire offseason to get ready. He got his starts only after Light got injured. Wilfork only started 6 games as a rookie. Warren only started 4.

The notion that being a high pick automatically means that you start right away for the Patriots under Belichick is simply not historically accurate.

Thank you for pointing out two "historical" examples of first round defensive lineman not starting. I don't see how their situations, where it's acceptable and helpful to rotate players, relate to a rookie OT at all.

Thank you for pointing out two "historical" examples of first round defensive lineman not starting. I don't see how their situations, where it's acceptable and helpful to rotate players, relate to a rookie OT at all.

I'll assume this is a joke on your part, especially because I pointed out Vollmer (a player that everyone has been citing to despite the round he was drafted in) as well, and I'm pretty sure that he's an offensive lineman, and because your comment about the first round pick did not specifically refer to offensive linemen (for good reason, given the paucity of examples you'd have been able to come up with.).

Last edited:
I'll assume this is a joke on your part, especially because I pointed out Vollmer (a player that everyone has been citing to despite the round he was drafted in) as well, and I'm pretty sure that he's an offensive lineman, and because your comment about the first round pick did not specifically refer to offensive linemen (for good reason, given the paucity of examples you'd have been able to come up with.).

Since when am I everyone? Make more assumptions, please.

Since when am I everyone? Make more assumptions, please.

Categorizing the general flow of the conversations with a broad term like "everyone" is not making an assumption. You could call it over inclusion, if that makes you feel better. That doesn't make your argument any better, though.

Again, to repeat, your post:

does not specify an offensive lineman. Also, Mankins is the only offensive lineman, prior to Solder, that Belichick has drafted in the first round, and he was nowhere near 17 (he was 32nd). Warren, however, was 13th, and Wilfork was 21st.

Last edited:
Yes, if there is one man who will not feel any pressure to use a 1st rd pick right off the bat, it's certainly Belichick. He does not care what fans or media think about a '17th overall pick not riding the pine' (and he probably won't ride the pine for very long anyway).

He will always do what's best for the interest of the team, I am sure of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes