PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Light 'received a fair offer which he refused'

Status
Not open for further replies.
His rookie season was 7 years ago. He is coming off season-ending back surgery and has missed an entire year, and has not put in a down at LT in forever.

I would be surprised if he makes roster.

I think the depth at LT would go like this:

1) Solder
2) Light (if he sticks around)
3) Vollmer (in an emergency)
4) Maneri + the occasional 6th lineman
Its very possible that the roster at T is Solder, Vollmer, Kaczur, Maneri/Levoir
In that case Kaczur would very likely be the swign tackle active on game days. If there were an injury to Solder, Kaczure would go in at LT for that game.
If it were an extended injury it is very debatable whether BB would move Vollmer from the left side. Traditionally he hasn't done that.

You don't spend the 17th overall pick on a player to ride the pine, lockout or not.

BB is going to do whatever is most likely to keep TFB on his feet, and if sitting the #1 player in the draft for a while is the best way to make that happen that's what he'll do.

"Yeah, sorry your career is over, Tom, I know rookie was a turnstile but we picked him at #17 d%#*!@t, we had no choice but to play him. Hopefully he'll step it up now that Hoyer's out there" :rolleyes:

You don't spend the 17th overall pick on a player to ride the pine, lockout or not.

You do if your name is Bill Belichick.

It's not complicated. Unless it's an absolute emergency Belichick plays guys when they're ready to play.

Where you're drafted doesn't enter into the equation. Heck, he'd cut a 1st rounder if he thought the guy was a wasted roster space. This is part of what makes Belichick a great coach. Others let their ego of where they drafted players affect roster and starting decisions.

... and that's most years... this year without a training camp expect all rookies to be less inclined to see time as starters - which is part of why I'd love to see expanded rosters this season.

Last edited:
BB is going to do whatever is most likely to keep TFB on his feet, and if sitting the #1 player in the draft for a while is the best way to make that happen that's what he'll do.

"Yeah, sorry your career is over, Tom, I know rookie was a turnstile but we picked him at #17 d%#*!@t, we had no choice but to play him. Hopefully he'll step it up now that Hoyer's out there" :rolleyes:

I do wonder if this is going to enter into the equation. BB doesn't have the luxury of knowing how good Solder is... and we're talking about protecting Brady here.

Stretching a bit to sign Light - potentially overkill if Solder is good - wouldn't be so bad in my opinion, given the fact that we're talking about overkill in trying to protect Brady.

I do wonder if this is going to enter into the equation. BB doesn't have the luxury of knowing how good Solder is... and we're talking about protecting Brady here.

Stretching a bit to sign Light - potentially overkill if Solder is good - wouldn't be so bad in my opinion, given the fact that we're talking about overkill in trying to protect Brady.

Agreed. The Patriots would be penny-wise, pound-foolish if they let Light go if Solder isn't 100% up to the task.

Last edited:

The problem is that it may well take a multi year big money deal to sign Light.
Perhpas even the kind that pays past performance that BB never caves to even if there is no one in the fold as a replacement.

Most Pat fans do not appreciate how excellent Light has been. (you don't have to look far to prove it as the Light cant handle speed rushers comments are a dime and dozen and the fact is Light does a probowl caliber job against speed rushers, and the facts and stats back that up)
But Light is very well regarded throughout the league.
This is a probowl player at a critical position who has a lot of football left in him.
Matching what a team without a LT would pay to secure a probowler when you have a #1 draft pick and a guy on the other side who is probowl caliber is a questionable use of cap space. But more to the point, why would a probowl LT being heavily pursued by other teams sign with a team that just drafted their LT of the future #17.

I'd love to have Light back but it seems very unlikely from both sides perspectives.

Really now, use your head man. You think I'd advocate starting Solder just because he was picked at a certain #? The point is Belichick isn't going to spend the 17th pick on a player unless he feels that guy has a very strong chance to play. Why do you think he never takes DE-OLB conversions that high? Because he's not spending a high pick, like 17, unless he thinks that guy can make a difference right away.

Last edited:
Really now, use your head man. You think I'd advocate starting Solder just because he was picked at a certain #? The point is Belichick isn't going to spend the 17th pick on a player unless he feels that guy has a very strong chance to play. Why do you think he never takes DE-OLB conversions that high? Because he's not spending a high pick, like 17, unless he thinks that guy can make a difference right away.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but honestly don't act like anyone knows how BB thinks. He's the most mysterious coach in the league.

We don't know if Solder is a project or the 2011 starter. Only BB knows what BB knows. Not us.

Does BB try to work a trade for Mankins and sign Light to a 3 year deal for less cap $$$ if Mankins can't be signed? When Solder is ready to start, move Light inside to LG as some here have suggested.....

Grabbing a FA OG for less money or utilizing an OG already on Pats and having Cannon in the wings also wouldn't seem like a bad move....

Would love to see Cannon playing some reps at OG this season......:rocker:

Does BB try to work a trade for Mankins and sign Light to a 3 year deal for less cap $$$ if Mankins can't be signed? When Solder is ready to start, move Light inside to LG as some here have suggested.....

Grabbing a FA OG for less money or utilizing an OG already on Pats and having Cannon in the wings also wouldn't seem like a bad move....

Would love to see Cannon playing some reps at OG this season......:rocker:
I'm not real interested in seeing Light at G, and I dont expect he would be to excited about it either.

- Solder might have a "very strong chance" to play but that also doesnt mean he'll be ready at the start of the season. BB also took him without know how much time he'd have to work with him due to the lockout.

- BB DOES take DE-OLB conversions, he just doesnt take them high.

Solder might be ready for game 1 or he might be ready in the middle of the season but if he becomes Anthony Munoz 2.0 for the next decade he'll be well worth that pick.

Bottom line, BB will play him when he's ready, he's not going to risk the franchise (TFB) on a rookie that's still too green.

I don't know how the rest of you feel, but to me Light is one of those players that needs to be a life long Patriot. I hope he changes his mind and stays. He's given us alot of great football, and seems like a class guy. Put me down for hoping he stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back