PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Draft + Full 2 Round Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patriots Picks

1 (9) - DE/OLB- Da’Quan Bowers- Clemson
Since my first post on this site I’ve been driving the Da’Quan Bowers Bandwagon, and I truly believe he is the perfect fit for the Willie McGinest Elephant role in the Pats defence. For a while I had given up hope in getting him, but because of his knee injury he is dropping down draft boards. If he gets past Arizona at 5 I wouldn’t hesitate to trade up for him if necessary. In this mock draft he fell right into my lap. We are one of the few teams near the top of the draft that can be patient with players, so his injury isn’t a huge concern to me.

1 (13) - WR- Julio Jones- Alabama
I know a lot of fans don’t like the idea of a WR in round 1, especially trading up for one, but I think WR is a very underrated need for the Pats. Looking at the current roster there is only 1 WR that I can confidently count on in 2011, Wes Welker. Deion Branch is aging and has a history of injury, and while he added a spark to the offence this year, I don’t know how much he has left. Brandon Tate hasn’t really shown me much that can make me think he can be a starting WR. And while it was only his first season playing, I don’t have a lot of confidence in him. Taylor Price showed a lot of promise in the game against the Phins, but it was still only 1 game and he is a complete unknown. And while Julian Edelman has shown flashed that he could be the next Wes Welker, I don’t think they can play on the field together. I think he will be a great backup and eventual replacement for Welker, but he’s not a reason to not go after a WR early in the draft.

2 (13) – DE- Cameron Hayward- Ohio State
I’ve been quite critical of Cameron Hayward on this board in the past, and I have realised it is simply because my expectations of him were so high coming into the season. I believe he has as much talent as any DL in this draft not named Bowers or Darius, but he struggles with consistency. I think all along that his proper draft spot is early to mid-2nd round, but his amazing Bowl Game pushed him into the first round. Now that injury has pushed him back into the second I think he would be a great value pick here. With his injury and the needs of the teams picking in the early 2nd round, I think Hayward could easily fall to 45, and be the DE that all you guys are waiting for me to pick.

2 (28) – C- Rodney Hudson- Florida State
If Da’Quan Bowers is my favourite player in this draft, then Rodney Hudson is a close second. I believe he is the most talented offensive lineman in this draft, and his size is the only thing holding him back. He is a great technician and a great fit for the Pats scheme. Given some time with Dante I think he could be an all-pro at C for the Pats. Ideally he sits for a year behind Koppen and takes over at C in 2012.

3 (10)- OT/OG- James Carpenter- Alabama
Carpenter seems to be rising up draft boards and rightfully so. He seems to be the kind of OL that the Patriots like, having been a starting left tackle in the SEC, so you know he has been tested. He offers the Pats the versatility to play RT or OG, though I think his final position will be LG. And with Dante working him out at his pro day, I think there is a very good chance we could see James Carpenter in New England next season.

3 (17) – OG- Clint Boling- Georgia
Like Carpenter, Boling seems like the kind of player that fits the Patriots mold. He has experience playing multiple positions, including LT in the SEC. Although, like Carpenter he will likely end up at OG in the NFL. He’s not flashy and he may never be an all-pro, but he is a hard worker that can step in from day 1 and do the job.

3 (28)- NT- Kenrick Ellis- Hampton
I know Off the Grid is going to love this pick, and this is a guy that I also really like. I think backup NT is an interesting area for the Pats, and one where I really think they could upgrade. I think if we can give Big #75 some rest and take some pressure off him; it will hopefully extend his career. It will also allow us to try different packages with Wilfork at DE without downgrading the interior of the DL too much. Ellis is an extremely talented, monster of a man, who has the potential to be a very good NT in the NFL. I think he compares very well to the top NT Phil Taylor, but is overshadowed because he played at Hampton. Like Taylor he has some off the field concerns, but I don’t think his are anywhere near as serious as Taylors. Having listened to him speak, he sounds like a well-spoken young man that has probably matured a lot in his time at Hampton.

4 (11) - RB- Jamie Harper- Clemson
I really like Harper as a fit in the NE offence. Some people will be down on him because he doesn’t run as hard as his size would suggest, however, he does so many things that I’m not too worried about that. He has great size, strength and speed, to go with outstanding hands and the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. He has been overshadowed at Clemson because of more highly touted backs such as CJ Spiller, James Davis and Andre Ellington, but has still managed to put up respectable numbers. With his combination of size, power and speed, I think Jamie Harper has as much potential as any RB in this draft.

4 (17) - FS- Deunta Williams
Having traded off Meriweather and James Sanders being in the last year of his contract, a FS of the future is needed. This is a very weak safety class so I believe the best option is too coached up a mid-round guy. Having re-signed Jarrad Page I don’t think we need a FS that needs to start from day 1, so we can develop a guy. I think the best option is Deunta Williams form UNC. He is a guy that has 1st round talent, but will fall because he had a poor 2010 season on a decimated UNC team. Add to this a severe injury in the Bowl game and Williams falls into the 4th/5th round. If you watch his 2009 film he is an elite FS prospect that has great ball skills and huge potential. I think you go off that and take this guy in the 4th round because he will be an absolute steal. He may need to redshirt for a season but I don’t think that will be an issue.

4 (24) – DE/OLB- Greg Romeus- Pitt
Like Deunta Williams, Romeus is a guy that has first round talent that will fall due to injury and mediocre performance. He was severely hampered by injury in the few games he did play in 2010, and eventually lost his season to back and knee injuries. His best fit for the Pats would be as an Elephant OLB, and I see him as a poor man’s Da’Quan Bowers. However, in the late 4th round I wouldn’t hesitate to take him, even having already drafted Bowers, because his upside is immense. He will likely redshirt in 2011, but could be a very good player from 2012 onwards.

4 (28) – QB- Greg McElroy- Alabama
Backup QB is a position that will always be looked at to ensure that Brian Hoyer doesn’t get complacent, and to continually push him to improve. This draft offers a guy that I believe is built to be a backup QB for the Pats. McElroy is about as pro ready of a QB as you will find, although he doesn’t have great physical tools. He is incredibly smart, already has pro progressions and reads; he is well coached and respected among his teammates. He is the exact type of guy you want on your team, and would be perfectly suited to being a backup QB. And if he can improve his arm strength over the coming years he could even become a very good starting QB.

5 (10) – CB- Chykie Brown- Texas
Chykie Brown is a very interesting late round CB, who has been overshadowed by his Texas teammates at CB. He has the athletic ability of a 1st round pick, but his footwork is very raw and his tackling needs a lot of work. He won’t be able to start right away, but given time and good coaching he could be a steal in the 5th round. I originally looked at his Texas Teammate Aaron Williams in the 2nd round, but I believe Chykie will offer much greater value later in the draft. They both need a lot of work but both have huge upsides, and I would much rather take that risk on a 5th rounder than an early 2nd. The Patriots will be having a private workout with Brown so he could be a player to watch.

5 (28) - DL- Cedrick Thornton- Southern Arkansas
With the injuries to Mike Wright and Myron Pryor, young sub rushing DL is a big need for the Pats. I think Cedrick Thornton is the perfect guy to fill that role. He is a small school guy so he is under the radar, but he has great tools and would be a perfect fit as a situational pass rusher. He was held back by injuries in 2010, but he put up monster numbers in 2009, albeit against inferior competition. He’s definitely not a fit as a base DE in the Pats system, but as a sub rusher he could be a very good player. He is strong and disruptive, and can flat out get after the QB.

6 (6) - OT- Jarriel King- South Carolina
King is a big, talented and raw O-Lineman that could be a very good developmental guy in the late rounds. He has a lot of upside, and given some time with Dante he could develop into something very good. He’s currently a 6th round pick, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a team over draft him based on his upside

5 Grizzlies and a Flanker in the Top 96???

Oh, HELL, Yeah!!

I'm also a big fan of many of your individual picks...My 2 Favorites:

Kenrick Ellis reads a ZERO on my Character Concern meter, thank you...And he is EVERY bit the potential Super Beast as my long-standing Priority Super Binkie, Phil Taylor. Damned RIGHT, I want them BOTH!! :D

Greg McElroy, of course, is my BOY. My favorite QB in the entire draft, bar NONE. If I HAD to draft a QB, I would step right OVER Newton, Gabbert, Mallett, and the rest, to draft old Noodle Armed McElroy, thank you VERY much. :cool:

Comp pick (for TE Ben Watson)- OLB- Steven Friday- Virginia Tech
Yet another OLB, Friday offers more versatility. He had very little production up until 2010 where he exploded and dominated. He has a good skill set, where he can rush the passer, and he also has the athletic ability to drop into coverage. He will be 25 years old at the start of the season but he offers great versatility, especially with his speed off the edge. Most likely a situational pass rusher in the NFL.

UDFA- RB/WR- Brandon Saine- Ohio State
Saine is a guy that I really like as a hybrid RB/WR in the Dexter McCluster mold. He’s not a traditional between the tackles RB, but he offers great versatility, especially catching the ball out of the backfield. Ideally he would sit on the practice squad for a year, and then take over from Deion Branch as the 6th WR and 5th RB on the roster.

UDFA- RB- Graig Cooper- Miami
Cooper is a very interesting guy who some had rated as a possible 1st round pick before injury derailed his college career. He seems a shadow of his former self coming off his injury, but If he can get healthy he is a steal.

UDFA- DL- Adrian Taylor- Oklahoma
Like Copper, Adrian Taylor was once seen as a 1st round pick before injury struck. Taylor seems like a great fit as a DE for the Pats 3-4, as he is a monster run stuffer with surprising athleticism. He isn’t much of a pass rusher, but given a year on IR and some coaching he could develop into a solid rotational DE, possibly even a starter.

UDFA- OL- David Mims- Virginia Union
One of Off the Grid’s finds, Mims is a mountainous, monster of a man with huge upside, but he is as raw as they come. He’s worth a risk as a UDFA and give Scar some time to try to coach him up. He may never live up to his immense potential, in fact it’s likely he won’t, but by the off chance that he does he could be an absolute beast at RT.

Roster
QB- Brady, Hoyer, McElroy
RB- BJGE, Woodhead, Harper, Kettani, Cooper-IR? Saine-PS
TE- Crumpler, Gronkowski, Hernandez
WR- Jones, Welker, Branch, Price, Tate, Edelman
OT- Light, Vollmer, Maneri, Ojinaka, King-PS, Mims-PS
OG- Connolly, Wendell, Boling, Carpenter
C- Koppen, Hudson

NT- Wilfork, Ellis, Love
Base DE- T. Warren, Hayward, Stroud, Brace, Deaderick, G. Warren, K. Weston-PS, A. Taylor-IR
Sub DL- Wright, Pryor, Thronton-PS?
ILB- Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, Fletcher, Micah Johnson-PS (2010 binky)
OLB- Bowers, Cunningham, Ninko, Moore, Friday, Romeus-IR
CB- McCourty, Bodden, Arrington, Butler, Wilhite, C. Brown
FS- Sanders, Page, D. Williams-IR?
SS- Chung, Brown, Barrett
K- Gostowski
P- Mesko
LS- Katula

EARLY 2012 Draft Outlook
The 2012 draft looks like it could be very strong at the top of the draft, however, I’m worried about the depth of it after the large number of underclassmen declaring this season. The main areas that the 2012 draft looks to be deep is at QB, WR, OT and DB. The OT crop looks especially good with at least 3 likely top 10-15 picks, and up to 5 or 6 tackles that could be rated higher than any of the OT’s this year. This is why I would hold off going after a LT in the 2011 draft and go after one in 2012. There are two top 5 worthy LT’s in the 2012 draft in Matt Kalil and Jonathan Martin. I personally like Martin, but they will both be elite. Another OL I really like is Josh Oglesby from Iowa. He is currently a RT prospect but I think he could become an elite OG prospect if he can put it all together. Finally the last player I really like is Kheeston Randall from Texas. He is the prototype 3-4 DE for the Pats system, and could be the next Ty Warren. I’m expecting him to have a big year and shoot up draft boards in 2012.

1a (from Wash) - OT- Jonathan Martin- Stanford
1b- DL- Kheeston Randall- Texas
2- OT/OG- Josh Oglesby- Wisconsin

Sorry for the 4 pages, I may have gone a little overboard

Love your thought process. I agree with alot of what you said. Not crazy about all picks. Off course you will get torched you know by the know-it-alls who have yet to realize this is for fun and entertainment (hint: They know nothing more than we do!).
These are the posts that are fun and make you think. I appreciate your hard work even if some picks are not my cup of Tea.
Jones needs a S and an O Lineman or two. He'll spend the money to resign them and he would like the splash. Look what he traded to get Roy Williams who is mediocre at best? If he wants to win now, and I think because of last years record, getting "start-now" type talent with some Pro Bowls on their resume makes sense for Jones. He MUST make a run at the playoffs and will not have the years to get the rookies to the level he gets in this trade.

DW Toys

Rather than take the 9th pick for trades, I suggested swapping those three for Ware and exchange picks and sending a third rounder. Crazy? See worse. I think two Pro Bowlers and a serviceable starting RT might be too much for one pick.
The Team that might be ripe is #10 Washington who has put out the For Sale sign.

I suggested a realistic three way deal. That was poo-pooed as too much like an NBA trade. But this is all speculation until a new CBA anyway. But maybe the League becomes more trade friendly...Why? Because the FA period if one exists will be right on top of the Draft at the earliest. These Draft day Trades might become more difficult. It is said a Team like the skins want to Trade for picks now.

My proposal was a swap between the Eagles, Cards and Pats. The Eagles are DESPERATE for O-Line help and a Safety to replace Mikell who is a FA.They need a CB as well. They want a first for Kolb and now that Jackson is playing his "hold out" card as speculated, both could be moved.

The Cards are DESPERATE for a QB but don't want to offer up their #5 pick (maybe more) for one guy. The need O Line and OLB help as well but would like to maximize their picks and not waste the#5 to the Eagles. .

The Pats who be tickled to get WR Fitzgerald. I think you can get S Adrian Wilson who had an off year because of stomach surgery but the guy can still play.

Our 30th place against the pass defense was done mostly up the middle. Our Safeties can't cover. We need a playmaker.

The Eagles trade Kolb and Jackson to us for Mankins, Merriweather, Tate and Wilhite.

We swap Kolb and Jackson to the Cards along with Pryor, Sanders and Kaczur, TCB, #17 for Fitzgerald and Wilson and their third rounder #69 with an exchange of the picks, their #5 pick. Jackson takes the sting away from Fitzgerald and he and Kolb are familiar. Sanders takes Wilsons place and Kaczur starts. Meanwhile the get Kolb and hold on to a first Rounder and get Jackson as the Bonus.

Mankins, Fitzgerald and Jackson all have to be signed long term but this evens up.

A big problem NE has is many of these picks will be wasted. Rather than play the 2012 game I tried this.

The Pats then trade #33,#69 from the Cards, #74 from the Vikes and their own #92 for the Redskins #10. The Skins have no third or fourth round pick and they need tons. They won't turn down a second (#33 is like a first) and three thirds even though the points are off. They can get Mallet or Locker at #33 rather than spend #10 on either of those. Newton and Gabbert will be gone by #10.

Now blue chippers only! #5, #10, #28 and in the second our own #60. Plus our own fourth, fifth and sixth plus perhaps two Comps. AND we net Fitzgerald and Wilson to upgrade our Safety issue.

I pull that trigger.
DW Toys

Patriots Picks

First Round
Pick #17 traded to Kansas City in exchange for the chiefs #21st pick and their third round pick. and the Patriots pick:

#21. Muhammed Wilkerson, DE/DT

Pick #28 traded to San Diego for a second and fourth round pick

Second Round

Pick 33 also traded down to pick 39 (San Francisco 49ers) and the 49ers draft Kaepernick at 33.

#39. The patriots pick at 39 I'll say will be Danny Watkins, G

#50. This pick acquired from San Diego for pick 28. With the 50th pick the patriots select:

#50. Ryan Williams, RB

#60. Martez Wilson, LB: There's a possibility the Patriots could trade up a couple of picks (possibly with Kansas City) to take Wilson if they believe he may be gone before pick 60.

Third Round

#74. Randall Cobb, WR: This will be that pick that will be looked at as a steal for the Patriots. Cobb has been mentioned towards the end of the first round/second round, but there are so many great receiver prospects this year that Cobb could fall here. The new kickoff rule could affect him a lot as well and turn a lot of teams off but the Patriots are the type of team that will utilize all of his skills well. Randall Cobb is a perfect fit here.

Pick acquired from Kansas City: Jaiquawn Jarrett, S

#92. Terrell McClain, DE/DT: I have them taking Wilkerson in the 1st but I keep hearing how much they like McClain who is more of a situational player. He can do a lot of things well but is more of a rotational player while Wilkerson is a do it all end but I still think they take McClain here, no matter what.

4th Round picks

-Kevin Rutland, CB
-Pick Acquired from San Diego: Colin McCarthy, LB

5th Round Pick

-Brandon Fusco, G

6th Round pick (acquired from San Francisco for #33)

-Chris Matthews, WR

You may think that all these trades are ridiculous but this is always the way a Patriots draft goes, they trade all over the place. I think they value Wilkerson highly but not at pick 17, 22 is a good spot to draft him. I think Ryan Williams will be like the Gronkowski pick. Like Gronkowski Williams was injured his final college season but has serious upside, maybe more upside than Ingram and I think the Patriots will see that and scoop him up with one of their second rounders. Obviously Martez Wilson fills a need at outside linebacker and has the pass rushing abilities to be a disruptive force. In the 4th round they'll probably take a corner if not the third round. They take a corner every year and Kevin Rutland is a solid one and fits with them well. Colin McCarthy adds linebacker and special teams depth, he's a solid player as well. They've also been looking at Brandon Fusco a lot and I think they take both him and Danny Watkins. Fusco provides depth on the line and I could see them stockpiling some talent along the O-line with a lot of question marks they have. Neal retired and Mankins is a free agent so they only really have Dan Connelly right now and they could still upgrade from him. I think they go Chris Matthews with their 6th round pick. He's a tall receiver that they need at 6'4" 219 lbs. I have them taking Cobb too, but I could see them taking Matthews and letting him battle with Taylor Price for a roster spot.

Last edited:
Tricktak, I'm curious who you picture the Chiefs trading up for? Their big needs are WR, C, NT, OLB. WR & C aren't likely to be reasonable values there; I can't see Pioli rolling the dice on Phil Taylor at 17; so that leaves OLB or something unexpected (QB?). If it's OLB it would have to be a player Pioli rates much higher than Belichick.

Last edited:
Tricktak, I'm curious who you picture the Chiefs trading up for? Their big needs are WR, C, NT, OLB. WR & C aren't likely to be reasonable values there; I can't see Pioli rolling the dice on Phil Taylor at 17; so that leaves OLB or something unexpected (QB?). If it's OLB it would have to be a player Pioli rates much higher than Belichick.

I have them trading up for Robert Quinn. Even if Quinn is a great fit for the Patriots, Belichick will not take a defensive end/outside linebacker conversion project at 17, especially with Quinn coming off not playing the whole year, he won't value one that high, no matter how talented or how good a fit he is. Wilkerson is a perfect fit for what they're looking for and is a good pick at 21. I see them going outside linebacker in round 2, which is why players like Akeem Ayers, Martez Wilson and Sam Acho will probably be one the outside linebackers they take.

Comp pick (for TE Ben Watson)- OLB- Steven Friday- Virginia Tech
Yet another OLB, Friday offers more versatility. He had very little production up until 2010 where he exploded and dominated. He has a good skill set, where he can rush the passer, and he also has the athletic ability to drop into coverage. He will be 25 years old at the start of the season but he offers great versatility, especially with his speed off the edge. Most likely a situational pass rusher in the NFL.

UDFA- RB/WR- Brandon Saine- Ohio State
Saine is a guy that I really like as a hybrid RB/WR in the Dexter McCluster mold. He’s not a traditional between the tackles RB, but he offers great versatility, especially catching the ball out of the backfield. Ideally he would sit on the practice squad for a year, and then take over from Deion Branch as the 6th WR and 5th RB on the roster.

UDFA- RB- Graig Cooper- Miami
Cooper is a very interesting guy who some had rated as a possible 1st round pick before injury derailed his college career. He seems a shadow of his former self coming off his injury, but If he can get healthy he is a steal.

UDFA- DL- Adrian Taylor- Oklahoma
Like Copper, Adrian Taylor was once seen as a 1st round pick before injury struck. Taylor seems like a great fit as a DE for the Pats 3-4, as he is a monster run stuffer with surprising athleticism. He isn’t much of a pass rusher, but given a year on IR and some coaching he could develop into a solid rotational DE, possibly even a starter.

UDFA- OL- David Mims- Virginia Union
One of Off the Grid’s finds, Mims is a mountainous, monster of a man with huge upside, but he is as raw as they come. He’s worth a risk as a UDFA and give Scar some time to try to coach him up. He may never live up to his immense potential, in fact it’s likely he won’t, but by the off chance that he does he could be an absolute beast at RT.

Roster
QB- Brady, Hoyer, McElroy
RB- BJGE, Woodhead, Harper, Kettani, Cooper-IR? Saine-PS
TE- Crumpler, Gronkowski, Hernandez
WR- Jones, Welker, Branch, Price, Tate, Edelman
OT- Light, Vollmer, Maneri, Ojinaka, King-PS, Mims-PS
OG- Connolly, Wendell, Boling, Carpenter
C- Koppen, Hudson

NT- Wilfork, Ellis, Love
Base DE- T. Warren, Hayward, Stroud, Brace, Deaderick, G. Warren, K. Weston-PS, A. Taylor-IR
Sub DL- Wright, Pryor, Thronton-PS?
ILB- Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, Fletcher, Micah Johnson-PS (2010 binky)
OLB- Bowers, Cunningham, Ninko, Moore, Friday, Romeus-IR
CB- McCourty, Bodden, Arrington, Butler, Wilhite, C. Brown
FS- Sanders, Page, D. Williams-IR?
SS- Chung, Brown, Barrett
K- Gostowski
P- Mesko
LS- Katula

EARLY 2012 Draft Outlook
The 2012 draft looks like it could be very strong at the top of the draft, however, I’m worried about the depth of it after the large number of underclassmen declaring this season. The main areas that the 2012 draft looks to be deep is at QB, WR, OT and DB. The OT crop looks especially good with at least 3 likely top 10-15 picks, and up to 5 or 6 tackles that could be rated higher than any of the OT’s this year. This is why I would hold off going after a LT in the 2011 draft and go after one in 2012. There are two top 5 worthy LT’s in the 2012 draft in Matt Kalil and Jonathan Martin. I personally like Martin, but they will both be elite. Another OL I really like is Josh Oglesby from Iowa. He is currently a RT prospect but I think he could become an elite OG prospect if he can put it all together. Finally the last player I really like is Kheeston Randall from Texas. He is the prototype 3-4 DE for the Pats system, and could be the next Ty Warren. I’m expecting him to have a big year and shoot up draft boards in 2012.

1a (from Wash) - OT- Jonathan Martin- Stanford
1b- DL- Kheeston Randall- Texas
2- OT/OG- Josh Oglesby- Wisconsin

Sorry for the 4 pages, I may have gone a little overboard

Hah!! Speaking for myself, I'm a BIG fan of "overboard"!! :rocker:

Obviously, I absolutely LOVE your choice of David Mims!! He'd need to drop 20 to 30 pounds or so, but he is such an AMAZINGLY athletic Beast, that with Dante working with him, I really think we could have a flat out SUPER STAR, here!! :rocker:

My favorite one of the rest is Craig Cooper. 2012 ~ or perhaps as early as the second half of 2011 ~ I think this guy comes all the way back and is a very dangerous Weapon.

AMAZING work, sir. As always.

My head hurts from reading and working out the trades!

Full 5 Round Mock with Trades (no CBA)

Full 5 Round Mock with trades (no CBA)

Ok guys, I’ve been messing around with a new mock with no CBA (so no traded players). My approach is very similar and most of the players are the same as my previous mock, but this time I had to choose between Da’Quan Bowers and Julio Jones. I chose Bowers because I believe he can offer more as an elephant OLB as well as a 3-tech and 5-tech on passing downs. Next year also looks incredibly strong at WR, and while I don’t think any of them will be quite as good a fit a Julio, I would settle for Alshon Jeffery ;). With no CBA I couldn’t trade Mankin’s or Meriweather, however, I would still look to trade them once a CBA is done because I don’t see them in NE long term. I would think Mankins to Chicago for their 2012 1st and Meriweather for a 2012 2nd would be fair value. Once again I think I have gone a little overboard, but this one is only 5 rounds :p. Let me know what you think.

Round 1

1. Car- QB- C. Newton- Auburn
I think Carolina is set on QB, so this is between Newton and Gabbert. I think they make a major mistake and go for Newton.

2. Den-DL- M. Dareus- Alabama
Moving back to the 4-3 they need DL, Dareus is the top DL in the draft.

3. Buf-QB- B. Gabbert- Missouri
Like Carolina I think the Bills are set on a QB, and will take whoever the Panthers don’t. Here it’s Gabbert but these picks are interchangeable.

4. Cin- CB- P. Peterson- LSU
AJ Green would make a ton of sense here, but the Bengals WRs looked pretty good at the end of last year without TO and Ocho Cinco. Jonathan Joseph is an FA so I think they go B.P.A. which just happens to also be the best player in this draft.

5. Ari- OLB- V. Miller- Texas A&M
OLB is a huge need and Miller is the perfect pick for them.

6. Cle-WR- A.J. Green- Georgia
They need DL going back to the 4-3, but AJ Green is too good to pass up.

7. SF- CB- P. Amukamara- Neb
They would have loved to get Peterson, but Prince Amukamara isn’t a bad consolation prize.

8. Tenn-DT- N. Fairley- Auburn
With no QB worth taking on the board they need to go DL. This is between Fairley and Bowers, and they go with the bigger need at DT.

9. *Stl (Dal)- WR- J. Jones- Alabama
The Rams desperately need a big time WR so they make a move to grab Jones ahead of Washington.
Stl trades 1 (14) + 3 (15) + 4 (15) to Dal 1 (9) + 6 (11)1 =1367pts-1373pts

10. *NE (Wash)- DE/OLB- D. Bowers- Clemson
There is nothing more I can say about Da’Quan Bowers that I haven’t already said. I love this kid.
Wash trades 1 (10) to NE for 1 (17) + 2 (28) =1350pts-1300pts

11. Hou- DL- JJ Watt- Wisconsin
Moving to the 3-4 the Texans really need to focus on the DL. JJ Watt will be a beast opposite Super Mario.

12. Min- DE- R. Quinn- UNC
With no QB worth taking on the board the Vikes go to another need at DE. Quinn has a ton of talent and is a steal here.

13. Det- OT- T. Smith- USC
Their biggest needs are CB and OT. With Prince Amukamara off the board before they could make a move up for him, they go for the top OT in the draft, Tyron Smith from USC.

14. *Dal (Stl)- OT- N. Solder- Colorado
Their wasn’t great value on the board for Dallas at 9, so they move down and pick up the #2 OT in the draft.

15. Mia- QB- R. Mallet- Arkansas
It seems everyone has Mark Ingram at this pick, but I think Miami will surprise us. Chad Henne isn’t the future for the Phins, so they go for a big arm QB that can drive the ball down the field. This may seem high for Mallet but he has that big arm and his stock is on the rise.

16. Jax- DE- R. Kerrigan- Purdue
Jax has their choice of DE’s at this spot. They could go for Kerrigan, Aldon Smith, Clayborn or Justin Houston. I think they will fall in love with Kerrigan’s motor and take him ahead of the others.

17. *Wash (NE)- NT- P. Taylor- Baylor
Washinton has a ton of needs and no 3rd or 4th rounders, so they move down from 10 and pick up a late 2nd. This may be a surprise, but Washington desperately needs a NT for their 3-4. Phil Taylor is on the rise and a good start to rebuilding the Skins defence.

18. SD- DL- M. Wilkerson- Temple
I think this is between DL and OLB, and I think SD goes for a new 3-4 DE here. They could go Cam Jordan at this spot, but I think they pass on him and go for Mohammed Wilkerson here who is a great fir for their defence.

19. NYG- OG- M. Pouncey- Florida
The Giants have options here and could very easily go Mark Ingram or and OT. I think they go for Pouncey, who they hope can be as good as his brother. He can play OG or C, and will immediately improve the Giants interior OL.

20. TB- DE- C. Jordan- Cal
I, like most have had Adrian Clayborn at this spot for a very long time. However, with Cam Jordan falling this far they jump all over him. Last year they went DT, this year it’s all about DE for the Bucs.

21. KC- OLB- A. Smith- Missouri
They would have loved Phil Taylor to fall to them at 21, but with him off the board they have to look elsewhere. Luckily for the Chiefs, Aldon Smith has fallen and is a great fit for them at OLB.

22. Ind- OT- A. Costanzo- BC
The Colts really need to protect Peyton Manning and improve their running game, so they go OT here. Some people have Costanzo as their #1 OT, so he is a great pick here.

23. Phi- OT- G. Carimi- Wisconsin
Philly really need to protect Michael Vick’s blindside and Andy Reid loves to take lineman early. Carimi is the top OL available at this stage so they jump all over him.

24. NO- DT- C. Liuget- Illinois
The Saints don’t have a ton of needs so they can afford to be patient and let the draft fall to them. Here is pays off and they get a steal with Corey Liuget.

25. Sea- QB- J. Locker- Washington
Hasselbeck is aging and a FA, so they take the local kid who has a ton of upside. Once considered the unanimous #1 player in the draft, Locker is a great pick for Seattle.

26. Bal- CB- J. Smith- Colorado
The Raven could go a number of directions here. They could reach for a WR, or settle for the top OT available, but instead they go for a top 15 talent with character concerns.

27. Atl- DE. A. Clayborn- Iowa
With John Abraham aging and a need to improve their pass rush, the Falcons go the top DE available. They could go for Justin Houston, but I think they go with the hugely talented Clayborn, who will fall because of medical concerns.

28. *Buf (NE)- D. Sherrod- Miss St
Buffalo got their QB earlier, now they must protect him. There is only 1 of the top OT’s left on the board, so they jump up to 28 to grab him before Chicago.
NE trades 1 (28) to Buf for 2 (2) + 4 (3) =660pts- 664pts

29. *Cin (Chi)- QB- C. Ponder- Florida State
With 4 QB’s already off the board, Cincinnati can’t afford to wait and hope one falls, and with no OT on the board the Bears make the move down. Christian Ponder and Andy Dalton seem like the best fits for the Jay Gruden offence, so they go for Ponder who seem hot right now.
Chi trades 1 (29) to Cin for 2 (2) + 4 (4) =640pts-650pts

30. NYJ- OLB- B. Reed- Arizona
This is between DL and OLB. Cam Heyward’s stock is falling and Christian Ballard would be a reach here, so they go for the fast rising Brooks Reed who some have compared to Clay Matthews.

31. Pit- OG- D. Watkins- Baylor
The Steelers really need to improve their OL, especially the interior. Danny Watkins is rising fast despite being 26 years old. He just seems like a great fit here.

32. GB- RB- M. Ingram- Alabama
And the Superbowl champs win again. I know it’s tough to see Ingram falling this far, but it’s difficult to see who would take him. If he gets past NYG at 19 I think he could have a Beanie Wells type drop here.

Round 2

33. *SD (NE) - OLB- A. Ayers- UCLA
They got their DE in round 1, now they move up and grab their OLB. Ayers has slipped and the Chargers take advantage of it.
NE trades 2 (1) + 5 (28) to SD for 2 (29) + 3 (18) + 3 (25) =609pts-617pts

34. *NE (Buf)- C Hayward- Ohio State
Inconsistency and injury has dropped Hayward into the second round, where I think he belongs. The Pats need help along the DL and take a chance on his immense talent.

35. *Chi (Cin)- WR- J. Baldwin- Pitt
They would love a top OT, but there just isn’t one on the board. Instead they go for a potential #1 WR in Baldwin who will be a big target for Jay Cutler (if the Bears can keep him upright.)

36. Den- DE- J. Houston- Georgia
A surprise fall for Houston, but with 5 QB’s going in round 1 someone has to slip. He is a steal here for the Broncos who continue to add to their DL.

37. Cle- DE- J. Sheard- Pitt
They would have loved Houston here but Denver snatched his up just before them. After going WR in round 1 they have to go DL, and with not DT’s worth taking, they go for the top DE in Sheard.

38. *Wash (Ari)- QB- A. Dalton- TCU
Washington must find a new QB because Rex Grossman isn’t the answer. Andy Dalton is a great fit and good value here so they move ahead of the Titans to get him.
Ari trades 2 (6) to Wash for 2 (9) + 5 (13) =520pts-525.5pts

39. Tenn- DE- C. Ballard-Iowa
They got a DT in round 1, now they come back and grab a DE. Ballard is on the rise and a solid selection here.

40. Dal- CB- A. Williams- Texas
They addressed OT in round 1, now they need to address the secondary. They could go FS, but instead go with the top CB available in Aaron Williams.

41. *Ari (Wash)- OT- B. Ijalana- Villanova
They need help at both OT and OG, luckily Ben Ijalana could help at both. He is good value here.

42. Hou- NT- S. Paea- Oregon State
They got a new DE in round 1, now they need a NT for their 3-4 defence. While Paea isn’t your traditional 330+lbs NT, he is incredibly strong and a great fit for the Wade Phillips 3-4, which doesn’t require its NT to be 330+lbs. A DL of Watt, Paea and Mario Williams looks pretty good to me.

Full 5 Round Mock with Trades (no CBA) cont.

43. Min- QB- C. Kaepernick- Nevada
I don’t see Joe Webb as a franchise QB, so the Vikings grab one with the potential here. They seem to like athletic QB’s (Webb, Tavaris Jackson), so they go with a QB with incredible talent here in Kaepernick. He is raw, but has a ton of ability.

44. Det- CB- B. Harris- Mia
This falls perfectly for Detroit, who grabbed their new LT at 13 and now get one of the top CB’s in the draft. A few months ago many people had Harris to the Lions at 13, now they get a steal, grabbing him at 44.

45. SF- OLB- S. Acho- Texas
They went CB in round 1, now they could go any direction. There isn’t a QB or DL worth taking here, so they go OLB with Acho, who is slowly rising up draft boards.

46. Den- RB- M. Leshoure- Illinois
After adding two picks to the defence already, Denver comes back and goes offence with Leshoure at RB. They need a big back to complement Knowshon Moreno, and Leshoure is a great fit here. FS Rahim Moore is also an option.

47. Stl- FS- R. Moore- UCLA
They got a playmaker on offence in round 1, now they get one on defence in round 2. Rahim Moore is the top FS in this draft and a very solid pick for the Rams at 47.

48. Oak- C- S. Wisniewski- Penn State
Wisniewski is a guy that I can see the Raiders falling in love with. He not only fills a big position of need at C, but he also has family ties to the organisation. I can see Al Davis moving up to get him, but in this case he doesn’t need to.

49. Jax- CB- D. House- New Mexico State
The Jags need help at CB, and Davon House would be a great fit opposite Rashean Mathis. They would have loved for Rahim Moore to drop here, but settle for the top CB available.

50. SD- WR- L. Hankerson- Miami
The future of Vincent Jackson is still up in the air, so they grab a very solid and consistent target for Rivers.

51. TB- LB- M. Wilson- Illinois
While he isn’t a great fit as a traditional MLB, Martez Wilson has a really intriguing skillset and a ton of talent. I think at this stage of the draft the Bucs take a chance on him, and use him as a weapon in a number of different ways.

52. NYG- RB- R. Williams- Virginia Tech
They passed on Ingram in round 1, now they get their RB. Williams is very talented and a good selection at 52.

53. Ind- DT- D. Nevis- LSU
DT is a need and Drake Nevis is a great fit. He is undersized and isn’t much of a run stopper, but he is beast of an interior pass rusher that can flat out get to the QB. Put him between Freeney and Mathis and the opposition O-Line will be having nightmares.

54. Phi- OT/OG- M. Cannon- TCU
Once again Andy Reid goes to the trenches and takes a monster in Marcus Cannon. He is a good fit at OT or OG which are both needs for Philly.

55. KC- WR- T. Doss- Indiana
They still need a NT, but 55 is too high for Kenrick Ellis or Jerrel Powe. Instead the Chiefs go for a #2 WR and take Tandon Doss. Doss is the most undervalued and underappreciated WR in this draft. He has arguably the best hands of any WR in this draft (not named AJ Green), and has a good blend of size and athleticism, and will be a very good NFL WR.

56. NO- LB- Q. Strudivant- UNC
The Saints once again add to their defence going for Strudivant at LB. He could play WLB for the Saints, or MLB and push Vilma to WLB.

57. Sea- OG- O. Franklin- Miami
Seatle needs help along the O-Line and Franklin is the best guy available. He projects best at OG, but he has the length to potentially make it at OT.

58. Bal- WR- T. Smith- Maryland
A surprising drop for Torrey Smith who some have going to the Ravens at 26. I think he will go higher than this, I’m just not sure where.

59. Atl- TE- K. Rudolph- ND
Another guy who I think will go higher than this, but where I’m not sure. If Rudolph does fall this far he would be a steal for the Falcons and a great replacement for Tony Gonzalez.

60. *Wash (NE)- WR- R. Cobb- Kentucky
They have helped to fill two of their needs at NT and QB, now they need a playmaker for their QB. Randall Cobb is exactly that, a playmaker.

61. *NE (SD)- OT/OG- J. Carpenter- Alabama
With Logan Mankins future in New England uncertain we really need to upgrade the O-Line. Carpenter is moving up draft boards and would be a very good pick here. I think he can be a very solid RT, or an elite OG for the Pats.

62. Chi- DT- M. Austin- UNC
Once again no great OT options available for the Bears so they address another need in DT. Marvin Austin has 1st round talent but will fall because of character issues and a yearlong suspension. He could be a steal here or a complete bust. At 62 I think he is worth the risk for the Bears.

63. Pit- CB- B. Burton- Utah
They went OG in round 1 so they go their other big need here. They go the top CB available, which I have as Brandon Burton.

64. GB- DL- J. Jenkins- Clemson
After getting a steal in round 1, the Packers go defence in round 2. With no OLB worth taking at think point, I think they go DL with Jarvis Jenkins, who is a really intriguing prospect as a run stuffing 3-4 DE.

Round 3

65. *SF (Car)- QB- R. Stanzi- Iowa
With most of the top QB’s off the board, the 9ers make a move and grab the last 2nd tier guy available. I think Stanzi is a good fit and will be a good player for San Fran.
Car trades 3 (1) to SF for 3 (12) + 4 (18) =265pts-272pts

66. Cin- WR- J. Jernigan- Troy
They passed on AJ Green in round 1, now they get their WR in Jernigan, who could go in the 2nd round, but falls to the Bengals in round 3.

67. Den- FS- Q. Carter- Oklahoma
They passed on Rahim Moore in round 2 for Mikel Leshoure, now they get their FS with the #2 guy in the draft, Quinton Carter.

68. Buf- OLB- D. Moch- Nevada
Aaron Maybin is a bust, so the Bills need a new pass rusher at OLB. Donta Moch is an athletic freak and could be a big time pass rusher in the 3-4.

69. Ari- CB- C. Brown- Texas
The Cards need a new CB to play opposite DRC and Curtis Brown is the best guy available.

70. Cle- CB- Ras-I Dowling- Virginia
Ras-I Dowling’s talent is unquestionable, but he can’t seem to stay healthy. The Browns need help at CB opposite Joe Haden, so they take the risk on the guy with 1st round talent.

71. Dal- DE- A. Bailey- Miami
After filling two huge needs at OT and CB, they Cowboys now go DL with the very talented but inconsistent Allen Bailey.

72. NO- SS- T. Sash- Iowa
SS is a need and Tyler Sash is a good, physical player. The Saints continue to add to their defence to try to catch up to their awesome offence.

73. Hou- FS- C. Conte- Cal
After rebuilding their DL for the new 3-4 system, the Texans now need to address their horrendous secondary. I think the Texans could be a good landing spot for Nnamdi Asomugha so they go the top FS available.

74. NE (Min)- C- R. Hudson- Florida State
I know most of you hate this pick but I love Hudson as a C for the pats so I’m gonna stick with it.

75. Det- OLB- M. Foster- Washington
They filled two huge needs in the first 2 rounds, now they fill another at OLB with the very talented Mason Foster. He could easily be a 2nd rounder to a team like TB, but with the lack of demand and value of 4-3 OLB I think he could fall.

76. *Car (SF)- DT- J. Casey- USC
The Panthers have so many holes they traded down to this spot to grab an extra pick. They have two huge holes at DT, one of which they fill here with Jurrell Casey as their new UT.

77. Tenn- OG- W. Rackley- Lehigh
LG is a big need and they need a strong O-Line if they are going to rely on Chris Johnson. Will Rackley is a very talented small school OG who would be a great option for the Titans.

78. *Dal (Stl)- FS- R. Sands- West Virginia
After their picks so far, the Cowboys biggest need is clearly S. Robert Sands is a guy that I can see Jerry Jones targeting because of his size and athleticism. I don’t know if he will be the answer at FS for the Cowboys, but he has a lot of talent and I think they could use him in a number of ways.

79. Mia- RB- S. Vereen- Cal
They passed on Mark Ingram in round 1 so they have to go RB here. Vereen is the top guy left on the board.

80. Jax- WR- T. Young- Boise State
With Mike Sims-Walker gone the Jags need a new playmaker at WR. Titas Young offers great speed and big play ability.

81. Oak- CB- J. Patrick- Louisville
If Nnamdi doesn’t return than the Raiders will have a huge hole at CB. Johnny Patrick is the top guy available, but still a solid pick.

82. *NE (SD)- NT- K. Ellis- Hampton
Ellis is a very talented NT that I have rated very similar to Phil Taylor. They difference is Taylor played in the big 12 and Ellis was overlooked at Hampton. I think he is a great fit here.

83. NYG- OT- J. Pinkston- Pitt
They got their interior OL in round 1, now they grab their OT. Pinkston is the top guy available and a solid fit for the Giants.

84. TB- OT- M. Gilbert- Florida
After addressing their defence in the first 2 rounds, the Bucs go for their O-line with the top OT available. Marcus Gilbert is a very intriguing prospect with a good blend of size and athleticism that offers TB some upside.

85. Phi- CB- M. Gilchrist- Clemson
After taking two linemen early in the draft, the Eagles fill another need at CB. Although there has been a run on CB’s in the first two and a half rounds, this is a strong CB class so they still get a pretty good player in Gilchrist.

86. KC- NT. J. Powe- Ole Miss
KC desperately needs a NT and they would have loved Phil Taylor or Kenrick Ellis. However they have to settle for Powe, who was once the most highly regarded of these NT’s. KC hopes he can finally live up to his potential.

87. Ind- RB- D. Thomas- Kansas State
With Joseph Addai being a FA, Indy needs a new running back to complement Donald Brown. Thomas is a big, physical back who will help Indy get the tough yards through the middle.

Full 5 Round Mock with Trades (no CBA) Part III

88. NO- - RB- K. Hunter- Oklahoma State
Reggie Bush is injury prone and RB is a need for the Saints. Hunter is really hot right now and is the top guy on the board. He seems like a solid fit.

89. *NE (SD via Sea)- C. Boling- Georgia
Once again upgrading the interior of the OL is a priority for the Pats after the retirement of Neal. Boling is a great fit at OG, but he falls this far because he doesn’t offer much variety because he isn’t a great fit at OT.

90. Bal- OT- J. Brewer- Indiana
Jared Gaither could be gone and Michael Oher had a bit of a down year. OT is a need and James Brewer has really tested well pre-draft. He is a solid 3rd round OT.

91. Atl- WR- E. Gates- Abilene Christian
Matt Ryan needs another playmaker opposite Roddy White. Edmond Gates has had some unbelievable workouts so far and has really improved his draft stock.

92. *Jax (NE)- S- D. McDaniel- Clemson
The Jags need help at both S positions; luckily DeAndre McDaniel can play both. Once a highly touted prospect, he is a solid value pick in the late 3rd, so they make a move up to get him.
NE trades 3 (28) to Jax for 4 (17) + 4 (24) =132pts-122pts

93. Chi- OT-J. Barksdale- LSU
The Bears finally get their OT and they get a pretty good one. Some people absolutely love Barksdale’s upside, so he would be a very good pick here.

94. NYJ- DL- L. Guy- Arizona State
They got their OLB in round 1, now they need a DE to possibly replace Shaun Ellis. Lawrence Guy is very underrated because he didn’t put up big stats, but he is a very solid fit as a 3-4 DE.

95. Pit- ILB- C. Matthews- Oregon
James Farrior just turned 36, so they need to groom his replacement. Casey Matthews is a good fit as a 3-4 ILB.

96. GB- TE- L. Kendricks- Wisconsin
The Packers have cut Donald Lee, and Jermichael Finlay is coming off a major injury, so another receiving TE could be looked at. While it may not be their biggest need, Lance Kendricks offers great value here and would be yet another weapon for Aaron Rodgers.

97. Car (comp.)- NT- S. Fua- Stanford
After getting their UT earlier in round 3, the Panthers now get their NT at the end of round 3. Sione Fua is a very solid 3rd round 4-3 NT, that could form a great partnership with Jurrell Casey for many years. These two could be the building blocks for a new and improved Panthers defence.

Round 4

98. Car- WR- T. Tolliver- LSU
99. Sea- CB- S. Wright- USC
100. *NE (Buf)- RB- D. Murray- Oklahoma
I really like Demarco Murray and think he would be a great fit in NE. He offers variety and versatility, and would be a great complement to BJGE and Woodhead.

101. *Chi (Cin)- CB- C. Chekwa- Ohio State
102. Cle- DT- T. McClain- South Florida
103. Ari- OG- D. Love- Arkansas
104. Phi- SS- J. Johnson- Boise State
105. Hou- OLB- C. Carter- Fresno State
106. Min- S- S. Keo- Idaho
107. Det- C- K. O’Dowd- USC
108. SF-DL- I. Williams- ND
109. Tenn- LB- G. Jones- Michigan State
110. Dal- OG- S. Schilling- Michigan
111. Mia- TE- L. Stocker- Tennessee
112. *Dal (Stl)- SS- A. Black- Florida
113. Oak- OT- C. Hairston- Clemson
114. *KC (NE via Jax)- C- J. Kirkpatrick- TCU
NE trades 4 (17) to KC for 5 (4) + 5 (9) =68pts-77.5pts

115. Car (SF)- TE- DJ Williams- Arkansas
116. TB- RB- J. Todman- UConn
117. NYG- LB- B. Carter- UNC
118. KC- RB- D. Carter- Syracuse
119. Ind- WR- N. Paul- Nebraska
120. Phi- CB- R. Carmichael- Virginia Tech
121. *NE (Jax)- DE. G. Romeus – Pitt
Taking a chance on the immense talent of Romeus. He would likely redshirt a year and essentially become a 2012 draft pick.

122. Buf- TE- R. Housler- Florida Atlantic
123. Bal- ILB- N. Irving- NC State
124. Atl- OG- J. Moffit- Wisconsin
125. NE- QB- G.McElroy – Alabama
Tough, intelligent leader, he just sounds like a Patriot. Great fit a a backup QB.

126. NYJ- CB- K. Burney- UNC
127. Chi- OLB- L. Wilson- UConn
128. Pit- OT- J. Reid- Central Florida
129. GB- OLB- B. Miller- Central Florida
130. Tenn (comp.)- DE- P. McPhee- Miss St
131. GB (comp.)- OT/OG- L. Ziemba- Auburn

Round 5

132. Car- CB- J. Brown- Colorado
133. Buf- ILB- K. Sheppard- LSU
134. Cin- DE- P. Allen- Nebraska
135. *NE (KC via TB,Den)- FS- D. Williams- UNC
Like Romeus, Deunta Williams has 1st round talent and a major injury concern. Put him on IR for a year and he becomes a 2012 draft pick.

136. Ari- DE/OLB- R. Elmore- Arizona
137. Cle- SS- J. Lefeged- Rutgers
138. Hou- WR- A. Pettis- Boise State
139. Min- WR- G. Salas- Hawaii
140. *NE (KC via Det)- WR- G. Little- UNC
I would love to find a way to get Julio Jones, but with no CBA I don’t think I could do it. Instead I would take a late round flier on a guy like Greg Little who has a ton of talent but also major character concerns. If he fell this far I would take the chance, but he could go as high as round 2.

141. SF- WR- R. Johnson- USC
142. Tenn- SS- D. Searcy- UNC
143. Dal- ILB- C. McCarthy- Miami
144. Wash- RB- T. Jones- Eastern Washington
145. Stl- DT- M. Parker- Richmond
146. Mia- FS- J. Jarret- Temple
147. Jax- QB- T. Taylor- Virginia Tech
148. Oak- WR- D. Moore- Tennessee
149. Phi- OLB- M. Herzlich- BC
150. Min- WR- V. Brown- San Diego State
151. TB- DE- B. Bair- Oregon
152. Ind- S- J. Hines- Ohio State
153. Phi- WR- J. Kerley- TCU
154. Det- RB- J. Harper- Clemson
155. Wash- OLB- T. Keiser- Stanford
156. Sea- SS- N. Williams- Washington
157. Sea- DE- C. Matthews- South Carolina
158. Atl- OT- D. Newton- Arkansas State
159. *SD (NE)- OT- W. Smith- East Carolina
160. Chi- OG- J. Boren- Ohio State
161. NYJ- WR- V. Brown- San Diego State
162. Pit- NT- A. Gray- Southern Mississippi
163. GB- WR- C. Shorts III- Mount Union
164. Bal (comp.)- FB/RB- O. Marecic- Stanford
165. Bal (comp.)- OG- Z. Hurd- UConn

Pats Picks
1- 10- OLB- Da’Quan Bowers
2- 2 (34)- DE- Cameron Hayward
2- 29 (61)- OT/OG- James Carpenter
3- 10 (74)- C- Rodney Hudson
3- 18 (82)- NT- Kenrick Ellis
3- 25 (89)- OG- Clint Boling
4-3 (99)- RB- Demarco Murray
4-24 (120)- DE- Greg Romeus
4-28 (124)- QB- Greg McElroy
5-4 (135)- FS- Deunta Williams
5-9 (140)- WR- Greg Little
6- 28 (193)- DL- Cedrick Thornton- Southern Arkansas

Final Thought
After doing this, the team’s draft that I really liked apart from the Patriots is the Houston Texans. If they could have a defensive front 7 consisting of DE- Watt, NT- Paea, DE- M. Williams, OLB- C. Barwin, ILB- D. Ryans, ILB- B. Cushing, OLB- C. Carter/J. Beal I think they could really compete. Add Austin Pettis opposite Andre Johnson, Chris Conte at FS and potentially Nnamdi Asomugha at CB and they could be a force. I know it’s not Pats related but I just thought it was interesting.

Re: Full 5 Round Mock with Trades (no CBA) Part III

Pats Picks
1- 10- OLB- Da’Quan Bowers
2- 2 (34)- DE- Cameron Hayward
2- 29 (61)- OT/OG- James Carpenter
3- 10 (74)- C- Rodney Hudson
3- 18 (82)- NT- Kenrick Ellis
3- 25 (89)- OG- Clint Boling
4-3 (99)- RB- Demarco Murray
4-24 (120)- DE- Greg Romeus
4-28 (124)- QB- Greg McElroy
5-4 (135)- FS- Deunta Williams
5-9 (140)- WR- Greg Little
6- 28 (193)- DL- Cedrick Thornton- Southern Arkansas

Well, I could get aboard from #89 on down, There are probably a half dozen RBs I'd rather have than Murray there, but in the fourth round, I won't quibble. I very well might throw up my dinner if we trade both #1s for Bowers, Carpenter is way too high for my liking, and I am not taking Ellis in any round of the draft, nor as a free agent. I don't like Hudson for the Pats, although in the third round I won't mind much. And I think Heyward is a great pick at #34? Traded down from #28, which I though you already traded? Ah, I see what you did with the pick numbering. It seems we moved up to #10 fairly cheaply, although I still wouldn't take Bowers there.

Of course, it's easy to criticize, much harder to throw a five round draft up on the board, so good work on that.

Didn't you just use #28 to move up to 10 from 17? Seems Buffalo wouldn't trade with NE at that point ...

Didn't you just use #28 to move up to 10 from 17? Seems Buffalo wouldn't trade with NE at that point ...

I traded Round 2 (28) or 60th overall

Same mistake I made. He traded 2(28) to move up 7 spots....or #60 to most of us.

I know you're trying to stay true to the point system but based on the AdamTJ13 article that was posted about trades.

8 = 26, 71, 89, 125

14, 191 = 25, 59, 164

11 = 15, 68

While none of these are exactly the same and admittedly the Jax\Balt trade is on the obscene side I think the value of going to 10 from 17 is something more like 17 + 60 + 159. Then from 28 you can trade down and pretty much recover 60 and 159 in the process.

I think if BB is trading up in this scenario its for DE not OLB and that Watt is the guy.

I know you're trying to stay true to the point system but based on the AdamTJ13 article that was posted about trades.

8 = 26, 71, 89, 125

14, 191 = 25, 59, 164

11 = 15, 68

While none of these are exactly the same and admittedly the Jax\Balt trade is on the obscene side I think the value of going to 10 from 17 is something more like 17 + 60 + 159. Then from 28 you can trade down and pretty much recover 60 and 159 in the process.

I think if BB is trading up in this scenario its for DE not OLB and that Watt is the guy.

I realise that this trade favors the Pats, but I think its important to look at the context of the trade. Washinton has a ton of needs and they don't have a 3rd or 4th round pick. There is no QB worth taking, and their most likely target at 10, Julio Jones was just taken the pick before them. I think they will be despirate to move down and get what they can. I don't think they would reject the trade over a 5th round pick. So yes this trade does favor the Pats but that is because of the desperation of Washington to move down.

Same mistake I made. He traded 2(28) to move up 7 spots....or #60 to most of us.

Yeah sorry, I probably should have put the overall number instead, I just found it easier to use the round numbers when working out trades and the draft order.

So yes this trade does favor the Pats but that is because of the desperation of Washington to move down.

I'm saying the opposite. That the history of trades in this range actually shows that the Patriots would give up less than the two firsts. I think a first and a second would likely get it done and maybe they throw in a day three pick.

I'm saying the opposite. That the history of trades in this range actually shows that the Patriots would give up less than the two firsts. I think a first and a second would likely get it done and maybe they throw in a day three pick.

I only traded 1 first and a 2nd. It was pick 2 (28) or #60 overall not 28. I should have put the overall number there but I found it easier to work out the trades going by rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes