PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's Put An End To the Maroney Madness(X3 Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Honestly, can we now all agree that Maroney is NOT the answer as an every down ba

Which defenses have we faced in the last 5 games?

And of course none of the Maroney supporters dare address the direct question, if Maroney cannot PRODUCE against the #30 and #32 run defenses in the next 2 weeks, WILL you admit that there is a SERIOUS problem??

Re: Honestly, can we now all agree that Maroney is NOT the answer as an every down ba

Unlike you I cannot give any RB a pass simply because the Patriots have a great passing offense. As I have cited before, many teams with prolific passing offenses have had very productive runningbacks.

Brady carries this team, that's a given. But the reason Maroney has produced mediocre numbers is because he has not EARNED more carries.

Sure I could go by your theory and project out Kevin Faulk to 25 carries a game and he might end up with better numbers than Joseph Addai, but it would be an exercise in sophistry, since you and I both know that he is not better than Joseph Addai. The same holds true for Maroney. Let's end the excuses, and look at the cold hard facts. The numbers tell us that Maroney has been in decline over the last 5 games.

Why don't you project Maroney's numbers with that 3.04 YPC, and think to yourself why would any sane coaching staff keep feeding the ball to Maroney when he is constantly getting stuffed? The answer is that they wouldn't and in fact they haven't.

Of course, you fail to mention (and I know this isn't ignorance, since I know for a fact that other posters have brought this up previously) that during the past five games the Patriots have played the Steelers, Ravens, Eagles, Bills, and Indy. The Bills game was a blowout, so of course you wouldn't run with your top RB. So that leaves the Steelers, Ravens, Eagles, and Indy. What do you surmise these teams have in common?

Regardless, none of this is even to say that Maroney will or will not be a bust. The only thing we can say at this juncture is that any judgment is bound to be premature/incomplete.

The absolute ONLY THING Maroney supporters can hang their hat on nowadays is the fact that he was a 1st Rd Pick, so therefore he MUST be good. Because we all know that this guy would be an absolute afterthought on this team if he was a 3rd, 4th, or 5th rd pick. The guy is a JAG. He is what he is. A MEDIOCRE running back.

Of course, you fail to mention (and I know this isn't ignorance, since I know for a fact that other posters have brought this up previously) that during the past five games the Patriots have played the Steelers, Ravens, Eagles, Bills, and Indy. The Bills game was a blowout, so of course you wouldn't run with your top RB. So that leaves the Steelers, Ravens, Eagles, and Indy. What do you surmise these teams have in common?

Regardless, none of this is even to say that Maroney will or will not be a bust. The only thing we can say at this juncture is that any judgment is bound to be premature/incomplete.

Ok, so will you change your tune when he does NOTHING the next 2 weeks against the Jets and Dolphins? Because I will pull a Anthony Smith and GUARANTEE he doesn't do jack crap the next 2 weeks.

NONE of these guys get carries because they are not GOOD ENOUGH.

Oh wow, with a rock solid argument like that, who couldn't be convinced?

Ok, so will you change your tune when he does NOTHING the next 2 weeks against the Jets and Dolphins? Because I will pull a Anthony Smith and GUARANTEE he doesn't do jack crap the next 2 weeks.

If they give him 20 carries and he doesn't produce, sure.

See, the thing is with you is that there is almost a palpable desire on your part for him to fail. Like I said, I'd really love to read what you were saying about James Sanders last year.

Last edited:

Unlike you I cannot give any RB a pass simply because the Patriots have a great passing offense. As I have cited before, many teams with prolific passing offenses have had very productive runningbacks.

Brady carries this team, that's a given. But the reason Maroney has produced mediocre numbers is because he has not EARNED more carries.

Sure I could go by your theory and project out Kevin Faulk to 25 carries a game and he might end up with better numbers than Joseph Addai, but it would be an exercise in sophistry, since you and I both know that he is not better than Joseph Addai. The same holds true for Maroney. Let's end the excuses, and look at the cold hard facts. The numbers tell us that Maroney has been in decline over the last 5 games.

Why don't you project Maroney's numbers with that 3.04 YPC, and think to yourself why would any sane coaching staff keep feeding the ball to Maroney when he is constantly getting stuffed? The answer is that they wouldn't and in fact they haven't.

I am not giving anyone a pass. I am using real information to evaluate a situation. If you want to use your "cold hard facts" then let's:

3.04 yds per carry = quite a few third and managable situations

3.04 yds per carry = first down on third and short

The only running back on the team that gets the ball on running plays is Maroney. I guess that makes the coaching staff insane according to your criteria.

You label a pretty objective analysis as "making excuses." It also seems that you entire argument against Maroney is that he isn't like Marshal Faulk or Joseph Addai. You forget to look at all the facts and take into account the roles of the other running backs on the team. I am not sitting here and trying to say that Maroney is going into the hall of fame; I am saying that in the absence of a traditional, balanced offense, there is no real way to evaluate him. You can compare to the Rams and the Colts until you turn blue, but it is not the same. There is nothing to use for comparison to what the Patriots offense is doing right now and you simply cannot judge any one of their backs because of it.

Oh wow, with a rock solid argument like that, who couldn't be convinced?

Oh wow, like we should be convinced by your GREAT argument that Maroney is a victim of playing on a great passing offense???? LOL!!! Ya, ok, buddy. Somehow I don't think LT would have a problem getting into the gameplan if he was on this team. Keep chugging the kool-aid.:rolleyes:

And of course none of the Maroney supporters dare address the direct question, if Maroney cannot PRODUCE against the #30 and #32 run defenses in the next 2 weeks, WILL you admit that there is a SERIOUS problem??

Why should any of his supporters address any questions you ask if you keep on ignoring the opposite side of the argument?

I doubt Maroney will get many carries against the Jets or the Dolphins, personally. Because we're going for records, and because we'll be trying to run up the score, at least against the Jets anyway :)

Bro, we have no QUALITY running backs. Kevin Faulk is a great 3rd down back and that's it. So because Eckel and Evans don't get carries, that justifies a 1st Rd Pick NOT getting carries? Puhleaze. You act like we have a STABLE on great backs that BB chooses not to use. NONE of these guys get carries because they are not GOOD ENOUGH. That includes Mr. MEDIOCRE.

So according to you the Patriots coaching staff, a staff that is known for evaluating talent, has staffed the Patriots with four running backs who cannot run the ball. :rolleyes:

Now that I know what you are I think the debate is over. Have fun antagonizing the world, from your posts it seems like that is your goal anyway.

Oh wow, like we should be convinced by your GREAT argument that Maroney is a victim of playing on a great passing offense???? LOL!!! Ya, ok, buddy. Somehow I don't think LT would have a problem getting into the gameplan if he was on this team. Keep chugging the kool-aid.:rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want, but tell me where did I made that argument?

I think that's partially responsible, but there are certainly a variety of factors at play.

What's going to be the excuse the next 2 games?

Oh right, so because we've faced 4 of the best run D's in the league, they're suddenly excuses?

Wow NSTroll took you longer than i expect to come in here. you have said a few time that he will not produce in the next 2 games so here is waht i want from you what would you consider producing IN OUR OFFENSIVE SYSTEM and if you can explain to me why you feel that way and it seem with in the realm of possiblity after we have agreed on what is to be expected and he does not reach it. I will start a thread with the title that "Maroney is an average back". untill then you are just a troublemaker who hate Maroney cause he ios not producing for yur fantasy team

Last edited:

I really hope Maroney visits here.I remember when everyone was saying how Greenbay had no running game at the beginning of the season.Out no where the Packers now have a very good running game.Hopefully this is the same case with Maroney.Faulk is a beast.Evans & Eckel could also be very dangerous at times.Trust me my fellow Pats fans Bill will be very tough on Maroney in these next couple of weeks.

So according to you the Patriots coaching staff, a staff that is known for evaluating talent, has staffed the Patriots with four running backs who cannot run the ball. :rolleyes:

Now that I know what you are I think the debate is over. Have fun antagonizing the world, from your posts it seems like that is your goal anyway.

Dude, your arguments are becoming more and more comical by the second. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same staff that equipped our defense with a corner who couldn't cover(Duane Starks), a linebacker that couldn't tackle(Monty Beisel), and a WR that couldn't catch(Doug Gabriel)? Wake up. Evans and Eckel are backup players. Get it, backups? They serve their role ok. Maroney, Mr 1st Rd Pick himself, is suppossed to be a very good player. He is NOT. They made a MISTAKE. Let me spell it out for you. M-I-S-T-A-K-E. Yes, my friend, BB and Pioli do make a MISTAKE every now an then.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wow NSTroll took you longer than i expect to come in here. you have said a few time that he will not produce in the next 2 games so here is waht i want from you what would you consider producing IN OUR OFFENSIVE SYSTEM and if you can explain to me why you feel that way and it seem with in the realm of possiblity after we have agreed on what is to be expected and he does not reach it. I will start a thread with the title that "Maroney is an average back". untill then you are just a troublemaker who hate Maroney cause he ios not producing for yur fantasy team

LOL! A troublemaker? Because I don't like a MEDIOCRE running back that we wasted a 1st rd pick on? ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Dude, your arguments are becoming more and more comical by the second. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same staff that equipped our defense with a corner who couldn't cover(Duane Starks), a linebacker that couldn't tackle(Monty Beisel), and a WR that couldn't catch(Doug Gabriel)? Wake up. Evans and Eckel are backup players. Get it, backups? They serve their role ok. Maroney, Mr 1st Rd Pick himself, is suppossed to be a very good player. He is NOT. They made a MISTAKE. Let me spell it out for you. M-I-S-T-A-K-E. Yes, my friend, BB and Pioli do make a MISTAKE every now an then.:rolleyes:

A mistake or two? Correct. Four mistakes at the same position...no.

Every week (day) we see this same thread ala "Groundhog Day." With perhaps the best QB in the history of the game, the best receiving corps in the league, and an outstanding pass protecting OL, you want to gripe about Maroney? Brilliant!

What didn't occur to the detractors was the fact that Maroney was the reason the play action worked on Moss' TD early in the game.

No, better to gripe about something that had nothing to do with the game plan or the relative strength of the team; yet, when Maroney was called upon, he delivered.

If anyone really wants to see what's going on, contact Josh McDaniels and BB and request them to run Maroney 35 times a game. Only then can one assess the performance of Maroney and the OL in the running game. Until then, here's a news bulletin: the Pats are a passing team and will exploit that first when it's there. Yesterday, it was there.

Oh right, so because we've faced 4 of the best run D's in the league, they're suddenly excuses?

Ok. So why do we still pass well when we face great passing defenses? I'll tell you why. Because Brady, Moss, and company are STUDS. They don't care who they play. They come to DOMINATE and they DO. So what you are telling me is Maroney can only run well against mediocre to poor run defenses? Wow, that's great. Guess what? TONS of running backs can look good against mediocre to poor run defenses. The true STUDS run well no matter who they go up against.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back